Trash Removal...what do you do, what do you pay?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
2dogs+someCats

Trash Removal...what do you do, what do you pay?

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Backstory: for "forever" I have hauled my own trash to the landfill - it is the cheapest way to get rid of it. Well...since hurting my knee I haven't been able to keep up so well.

So - today I had a nice young man come and haul away an embarrassing number of bags of garbage, a lot of recycling and some miscellaneous "crap" (an old toddler bed mattress left behind by the ex, etc.).

This same nice young man will pick up "anything" I put out on trash day for $20 a month (additional charges of course if I were to put say a sofa or another mattress out there).

Now...doing the math...this about DOUBLES my "cost per bag" to get rid of my trash. However...I am thinking in terms of "give myself a break", "convenience", etc. It will be just as easy to haul my bag of trash to the front curb once a week as it is to haul it out back to the garage.

And he will take recycling!! This guy is just a one-man operation - brings along his wife and father-in-law for "big jobs". I would rather support him than the "big company" that the ex used when he lived with me.

So...can I ask...what kind of trash service do you use? What is the cost? Do they take recycling? Are there extra charges for large items, etc.? I guess I am trying to justify this...spending $20 a month instead of $15 about every-other month.
floridacatlover

Re: Trash Removal...what do you do, what do you pay?

Post by floridacatlover »

At my townhouse - like a condo but not actually a condo - 2x week trash is included in our monthly maintenance. There is no easy way to get rid of big stuff.

Better comparison is my mom’s house. She always paid by the year and I do the same and I think it’s a good deal. It is $133/year for 1x week pick-up plus separate 1x week pickup for recycling. Twice a year there is a “big pickup” for large stuff, no extra cost. So a little more than $10/month. This cost is lower because of her homeowners association, $25/year.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

30 dollars a month for two rolling bins. Gets picked up once a week.

No recycling her. With all these dogs we produce a lot of trash.

If we only had one bin it would be 20 bucks.

They will also come pick up brush once a month if you schedule.

Other large items such as furniture twice a year.

Electronics and other hard to dispose of items once a year.

you are getting a good deal
jackie26us

Post by jackie26us »

We have one rolling dumpster and pay $20 every 2 weeks.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Can't help you much ... ours is part of city services ... cost is part of the property tax bill. We have a big rolling dumpster, and heavy trash pickup once a month.
There is a charge for recycling, so we take ours to the city-run collection sites.

Look at it this way ... it's cheaper than the medical bills should you hurt your knee again. When you're back to full speed, you can reconsider.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Mine was $17.50/mo for one 90 gallon rolling can, weekly, and no recycling.

Recently my city mandated that all residents must buy garbage service or be fined. They chose one trash company (which happened to be the one I was using).

Now it's $15.70/month for the 90 gallon can, weekly, and a 90 gallon recycling can they pick up every other week. They have smaller cans, but it's the same price.

They pick up bags and items outside the can, including small furniture most of the time.

There is a senior discount, though, at $14/month.

I think your $20/mo is a good deal, especially since the money goes directly to him.

One thing, though.........check with your homeowners insurance, and find out if you need to insure this guy. My dad insures the guy who mows his big lawn for just $6/mo
ohjodi