Daily check in August 11, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
BevMoore

Re: Daily check in August 11, 2018

Post by BevMoore »

Good afternoon frugals,

My pet peeve of the day.......why do new customers of a business or service get all the perks and the longtime loyal customers get squat? i went to a crowded monthly breakfast today at the senior center. The food was good and I was glad to be able to donate all the surplus eyeglasses I had (The Lions Club does the cooking) but I was hoping for some perks from Costco. Costco will be opening our long awaited store here in town so we won't have to travel 10 miles to a Costco that is smaller and crowded 24/7. We were under the impression we would get promo bags, coupons, etc. Well.....only if you signed up for a Costco card. I asked "where are my goodies? Shouldn't current members get them too?" Well the event was so crowded that the few goodies they had were long gone. Oh well. I will be glad to be able to gas up closer to home when the store opens the end of September. But it seems like one has to cancel and then renew subscriptions to get the discounts and perks.

I'm cleaning and sorting the contents of my garage refrigerator. Most of it is rice and dry goods but I prefer to extend the shelf life by keeping them refrigerated. I may do some freezer sorting. I don't need to defrost but would like to know where things are.

Making this short because I don't want it to disappear.

Bev
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Well, we are now at the 105 F mark and our poor window air conditioners are barely keeping up. This isn't even supposed to be that hottest day, that is now supposed to happen tomorrow. Sticking ones head outside is like hitting a brick wall.

Supper is going to be very late tonight as Hubby does not want to stand outside in the heat. Once the sun starts to go down it should be better.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Wow Jackie...that is REALLY hot for up by you, isn't it?
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wow Jackielou, it is hot up there. Very tough on northern people. My sympathy.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:08 pm Wow Jackie...that is REALLY hot for up by you, isn't it?
We have had as hot a day, but usually not a weeks worth of almost record breaking/record breaking (yesterday was record breaking and so will today be) temperatures.

We live in the part of the prairies that could be described as semi arid and with climate change setting in is heading closer and closer to an almost desert.

But having as many of these overly hot days in a row with no cool down at night and no rain in sight is highly unusual.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Dgflorida wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:04 am Wow Jackielou, it is hot up there. Very tough on northern people. My sympathy.
Us Northerners are used to strange temperatures. It is just that they don't usually last for a week at a time at record breaking heat.
Jackie