A senior who needs help; a clueless person trying to find some

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ohjodi
Posts: 687
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:57 pm

Re: A senior who needs help; a clueless person trying to find some

Post by ohjodi » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:12 pm

Here are some links for assistance in OK
http://www.okdhs.org/services/liheap/Pa ... lyTab.aspx

And to find your local Department of Human Services office
http://www.okdhs.org/countyoffices/Pages/default.aspx

They can tell you if she will qualify for in-home help, like a visiting nurse.

Also ask the hospital where she is having the surgery. They should have a social services person who can put her in contact with agencies.

She probably has Medicare and Medicaid. Medicare has a prescriptions savings program for low income people. I have that, and my Rx are $3.30 each. If she is not on that, contact Medicare.

She should be getting SNAP (food stamps) of $150/month or more. That's not enough for all her groceries, but make sure she is getting them.

Look into meals on wheels.

She should apply for energy assistance. The links for that are on the left side of the page above. The assistance might be a one-time credit to her electric bill of a few hundred dollars, or it might be a monthly amount. I'm on a program where I pay 6% of my income for my electric/gas bill. That is in Illinois, so I don't know if it's available, elsewhere.

She can also get a free cellphone through Safelink Wireless. Google that.
She'll get 500 minutes free per month, and unlimited text and calls is just $15/mo. She can transfer her current phone number, and she can even use her current cell phone. If she has a landline, she can get a discount of about $10/mo. Call her phone company and ask.

DO ASK around at churches. Many really can help, and they often know of other resources. My step-niece and her boyfriend (both who don't seem to want to go to work) and their infant gathered up $900 last week through various churches in this small town to pay on their very over due utility bill, plus a deposit to turn it back on. It's a shame, really. But that's another matter, lol

Some other things:

Have her make a list of family members you can contact for her if need be.

Make sure she is reading her mail and responding to it.............all of these programs have annual reviews, and she needs to fill out forms that they send, or go to an appointment. Otherwise she could lose the program. Just ask my mom who KNOWINGLY did not respond to her annual medicaid letter for renewal.

She may need help cleaning the house or doing laundry. It wouldn't need to be a daily thing, but if someone could stop by every couple of weeks it would help. She will need help shopping for groceries. It's best to take her shopping, or get a list from her. Buying groceries without finding out what she needs and wants can be a big waste.

Many grocery stores in larger cities now deliver groceries ordered online through Instacart. Google that because I can't post another link on this post. The city I used to live in now has grocery delivery from ALDI'S! And I'm so jealous.

She is lucky to have you to help her!
ohjodi

2dogs+someCats
Posts: 672
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:46 pm

Re: A senior who needs help; a clueless person trying to find some

Post by 2dogs+someCats » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:30 pm

A Community Action Agency may be able to provide some programming or services to assist. Go here https://okacaa.org/agencies/ to research the one in her area.

floridacatlover
Posts: 1905
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:21 am

Re: A senior who needs help; a clueless person trying to find some

Post by floridacatlover » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:09 pm

ohjodi wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:12 pm
Here are some links for assistance in OK
http://www.okdhs.org/services/liheap/Pa ... lyTab.aspx

And to find your local Department of Human Services office
http://www.okdhs.org/countyoffices/Pages/default.aspx

They can tell you if she will qualify for in-home help, like a visiting nurse.

Also ask the hospital where she is having the surgery. They should have a social services person who can put her in contact with agencies.

She probably has Medicare and Medicaid. Medicare has a prescriptions savings program for low income people. I have that, and my Rx are $3.30 each. If she is not on that, contact Medicare.

She should be getting SNAP (food stamps) of $150/month or more. That's not enough for all her groceries, but make sure she is getting them.

Look into meals on wheels.

She should apply for energy assistance. The links for that are on the left side of the page above. The assistance might be a one-time credit to her electric bill of a few hundred dollars, or it might be a monthly amount. I'm on a program where I pay 6% of my income for my electric/gas bill. That is in Illinois, so I don't know if it's available, elsewhere.

She can also get a free cellphone through Safelink Wireless. Google that.
She'll get 500 minutes free per month, and unlimited text and calls is just $15/mo. She can transfer her current phone number, and she can even use her current cell phone. If she has a landline, she can get a discount of about $10/mo. Call her phone company and ask.

DO ASK around at churches. Many really can help, and they often know of other resources. My step-niece and her boyfriend (both who don't seem to want to go to work) and their infant gathered up $900 last week through various churches in this small town to pay on their very over due utility bill, plus a deposit to turn it back on. It's a shame, really. But that's another matter, lol

Some other things:

Have her make a list of family members you can contact for her if need be.

Make sure she is reading her mail and responding to it.............all of these programs have annual reviews, and she needs to fill out forms that they send, or go to an appointment. Otherwise she could lose the program. Just ask my mom who KNOWINGLY did not respond to her annual medicaid letter for renewal.

She may need help cleaning the house or doing laundry. It wouldn't need to be a daily thing, but if someone could stop by every couple of weeks it would help. She will need help shopping for groceries. It's best to take her shopping, or get a list from her. Buying groceries without finding out what she needs and wants can be a big waste.

Many grocery stores in larger cities now deliver groceries ordered online through Instacart. Google that because I can't post another link on this post. The city I used to live in now has grocery delivery from ALDI'S! And I'm so jealous.

She is lucky to have you to help her!
Jodi, You are A-amazing! Such a lot of very useful info. I hope that Sandi prints this out for the woman she knows.

ohjodi
Posts: 687
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:57 pm

Re: A senior who needs help; a clueless person trying to find some

Post by ohjodi » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:56 pm

2dogs+someCats wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:30 pm
A Community Action Agency may be able to provide some programming or services to assist. Go here https://okacaa.org/agencies/ to research the one in her area.
Community Action is great! That's where I go for my energy assistance. They also do the meals on wheels, a food bank, and other programs like helping people get into school.

When I was a kid, that's where we got our awesome GOVERNMENT CHEESE! The US doesn't distribute food commodities, anymore.
ohjodi

floridacatlover
Posts: 1905
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:21 am

Re: A senior who needs help; a clueless person trying to find some

Post by floridacatlover » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:49 pm

ohjodi wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:56 pm
2dogs+someCats wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:30 pm
A Community Action Agency may be able to provide some programming or services to assist. Go here https://okacaa.org/agencies/ to research the one in her area.
Community Action is great! That's where I go for my energy assistance. They also do the meals on wheels, a food bank, and other programs like helping people get into school.

When I was a kid, that's where we got our awesome GOVERNMENT CHEESE! The US doesn't distribute food commodities, anymore.
It’s been a few years, but my uncle did receive government commodities through his local senior center. I don’t think it was distributed every month. Here’s a link:

https://www.fns.usda.gov/csfp/commodity ... ogram-csfp

Jodi, you are so right about opening mail. This was an ongoing challenge with my uncle. Even with the Section 8 recertification, the manager would tape it to my uncle’s door and we had a heck of a time getting him to sign it and return it to her. He was out and about every day so it wasn’t like he couldn’t walk a few hundred feet to her office.

User avatar
delighted99
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:26 am

Re: A senior who needs help; a clueless person trying to find some

Post by delighted99 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:51 pm

Seconding this!
Dgflorida wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:07 am
Thank you for helping your poor neighbor and thinking about her well being.

Post Reply