Daily Check-In, Sept. 8, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Daily Check-In, Sept. 8, 2018

Post by floridacatlover »

Hello everyone,

This will be quick because I got up late. Can’t miss the free breakfast!

Kitty, I’m glad that your eye tests were good. I do have glaucoma and take the same Rx but only in one eye so have lopsided lashes without mascara! That Rx is expensive depending on insurance so check out the mfg. website. There is a program called Openings that gives a good discount for everyone, not need based.

I had a great day yesterday. Met the church secretary at the bus stop and we drove to my great great grandparents church. Really lovely inside and out. Then we went to the village where great great grandfather’s sister lived and found the house. Caroline, the church secretary suggested a very cute cafe there for coffee. She was a lot of fun. Oh and the day was sunny and warm, too.

I toured around the main town on my own. Several cute streets with individual artisan shops. VERY steep hills on the streets which have cobblestones. A really nice area.

I enjoyed the bus ride to and from Bath. Very scenic. One way on the bus I chatted with a nice man from South Africa who had moved to England.

I’m meeting Rinty today! I’ll give her hugs from all of you. Fingers crossed for no rain.
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check-In, Sept. 8, 2018

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Florida morning all,

Congrats Floridacat on a great adventure and good time.

Yesterday, I stopped at my neighbor's house to see their new historic military stuff. They have an amazing collection. They immediately got me into a discussion of her health problems. They gave me all her recent blood tests. I looked them over and asked why no one asked about her low red blood cell count or platelet count. I said her symptoms sound like a low vitamin or mineral. Why didn't they check her levels on those things. So I came home read some things and concluded she has low B12. Now what she eats is good, so how is that possible. She had an intestinal issue 2 years ago and if she lost the ability to correctly absorbed vitamins this would cause this. She said she might start taking B12. I said if it is not being absorbed naturally now, maybe it won't help. I said you need to be tested. After I got home, I researched it more. And low and behold, it fits. A few years ago, she began drinking apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar can cause low potassium which she has and takes medication for. However, the common medication for low potassium interferes with the absorption of B12. So I will drop by there today and tell her this.

Meanwhile, the yard guy contacted me via email and his price is reasonable. So Monday morning, we will move sugar cane. Excellent.

I am past the first 24 hours after the eye injection and no sign of infection. There is always a risk. The eye itches a bit which often happens, but very annoying. I also feel better. I was kind of low energy yesterday. I am still restricted inside for safety. So today, I plan to get busy around the house. Get the house a bit more organized while avoiding water, so no cleaning.

Today, I am grateful for my good health and my pre-med training. I can read and understand medical reports and know enough to know what isn't being considered. I am never realized how valuable that would be. Have a good day everyone.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good rainy morning again!
It really looks like 8 p.m. out there, rather than 8 a.m. And we're in for it all day.
Had to run out and grab some tomatoes yesterday, all this rain caused some of them to split. Looks like I'll be making a batch of fried green tomatoes to keep from losing them.

Couldn't make much headway on appointments. Will start again Monday, when I also have a better idea of DH's work schedule.

DH got the cooking bug and made a batch of vegetable broth and chicken stock. Where it is going to fit in the freezer? No clue. Though he is very good at making that work. He also made a pie crust, so I'm committed to mulberry pie.

Oh, and this is beyond creepy to me: We get spam calls like crazy. Fortunately, we have caller ID, so we don't pick them up. The other day, I looked at the ID during a call ...they'd spoofed our phone number. We were out for a while ... when we came back, there were 5 calls on voicemail ... all from our number. Sheesh!

Florida, glad you had such a great day. Please do give Rinty a hug from us!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

The sun is peeking out from the clouds. Looks like it is going to be a nice day.

The weather is getting milder. It was nice last night.

We went out to eat. Yes, we do that a lot. Mostly to socialize. I hate to say it but I was the "b" word yesterday. BORED - not the other one. :lol:

I just hate feeling like that. So much to do, but it would be busy work. I want to do enjoyable things.

One of the ladies that went out to eat is about 73. She says she gets tired a lot. I told her to slow down, take it easy. Continue her walks and enjoy that. She gets tired of house work. Who doesn't.

I did get one thing accomplished for our little town. Hope it goes well. That will be it for my goals for the month. Don't want to overdo!

Hope all have a great day

PS - Florida - your trip sounds lovely. Say hello to Rinty
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

Just got a text from a friend, she has a new phone and is having trouble setting it up. So I will meet her for breakfast and try to help her with it. Then I will head to Mom and Dad's for laundry. It is cool and rainy, supposed to be all weekend.

Maybe I'll get more packing done. Last night I ran out and did some shopping and walking. I got some new smaller underwear and a pair of black pants. I had this fear the weather would change and I would be caught without fall clothes that fit. Now I am not so worried.

Have a great day,
Maggie
NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

Good morning everyone,

Well it looks like our summer weather is making way for Fall. A heavy wind started blowing yesterday afternoon and a light cloud haze started to roll into the valley. The wind had picked up at such a pace that it was creating dirt storms across the freshly plowed dry fields, picking up the loose dirt and blowing it into a haze everywhere. It was strange to drive through it all on my way home from work, pretty amazing. I normally drive with my windows down to enjoy the fresh air but the air wasn't so fresh so I kept the windows up on my drive. This morning I could smell a change in the air and by the time DH got off to work it had started to rain. Haven't had rain in weeks, it is a welcome change.

Well, other than that, it has been pretty quiet around here. Just making my way through another work week and putting one step in front of the other. Got to finish up and head out to face the day. Have a great day!