Daily Check In September 9th

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
rinty

Daily Check In September 9th

Post by rinty »

Morning !

DH walked the dog after failing to wake me, apparently he couldn't wake me no matter what he did. I woke bright and late at 8am. BOOYAH.

I felt better for it so don't feel guilty. realised on waking that I haven't baked yet for the kids visit. Bugger. Need to throw together a lemon drizzle ( all those lemons won't use themselves !) and some millionaire shortbread.

That also counts as a Use It Up as I got a gigantor bar of Cadburys chocolate as a teacher gift in JUly. Eating a slab of choc would bring out an allergic reaction so its been sitting there, delicious and untouched.

Anyway, done a bit of washing and hung some out I did last night. Dinner is a no effort one.............roasting 2 chickens ( yellow sticker reduction) a large poppyseed crusty loaf ( yellow sticker reduction )together with home grown veg, Potato, garlic, cabbage, thought I DD buy a cauliflower as everyone likes cauli cheese.

Family coming over, if they leave early enough I'll drive to DS's just to check things out. Lack of trust around things means DH and I have been making lots of SURPRISE ! visits.

News wise loving # Plaidshirtguy.........his treatment smacked of East Germany in the 1970s frankly and SErena Williams utterly disgusting behaviour. Hope she is ashamed of herself though doubt her ego would allow that.

Perhaps I should not be on the 'net/ watching The Great North Run on TV and get on with it ?

Have a nice weekend everyone. Shout out to Aunt Bridget if you are reading out there, we miss you !

Back again to add that one of my To Do things is to find a cheap plastic rosary in a decorated tin to distract one of my students during Mass............a religious twiddle toy ! ( I've checked and its deemed a good idea )

Just checked out cheap and easy Fall décor ( I like using fruit and veg displayed in seasonal containers ) For example I have done seasonal coloured violas planted in a small pumpkin. you hollow out half, pop in some potting compost and your mini violas and VOILA.

Well on the lookout for more ideas and found one I find bizarre. She had wrapped pears up in gardeners twine ? Now, okay for a photo shoot but that pear will rot in what , 4 days tops ? THEN what you have is a manky rotting pear staining that twine and having to be thrown away. Silly style over substance.

Off to hunt for the Fall décor crate................
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check In September 9th

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all,

Wow, a new week starting already. I am post eye injection 3 days and look forward to being able to do more. I really want to finish the garden in back of the porch. But I don't have any cardboard left to put down as a weed barrier. I stopped by the liquor store twice this past week and none each time. So yesterday, I called first. Nothing. So I realized I needed a new source. I also needed a longer landscape timber to build an erosion barrier over the ditch culvert. They are not on sale, but there usually is a bad one in the 70% off and sure enough, there was. This one is worse that usual, but it will do. The end was twisted, so I had them cut it off(free cut). So I will plan on putting it in place today. If I don't like it, I have a place in back for it. And they had a piece of folded cardboard in their lumber trash. I got it free. It is very nice. Very big. Put it down today.

I saw my sick neighbor out and I gave her the instructions on how to take her vitamins to cure her unrecognized vitamin deficiency. Of course, I said she needed to get blood work done to confirm the situation, but meanwhile she can take these vitamins in these amounts. Since I "cured" her of her arthritis pain by saying it sounds like a wheat allergy, I was asked about this burning pain in her legs. OTC vitamins will not represent a health risk over the short term and it may help. Well, we will see. Then she asked me about sugar addiction because someone on TV said that fructose was addictive. I raised my eyebrows on that one. So a quick lesson in organic chemistry and brain chemistry. I tried to keep it simple. It really is simple. Turns out she was indirectly asking because her son's new wife is a sugar addict. So I tried to explain how the brain handles sugar, but I feel it quickly went over her head. I have a feeling this will come up again some time.

In my quest for cardboard, I stopped at the local fruit stand. I didn't get any cardboard, but they had beautiful heads of cauliflower for 99c. I bought 2. And called my neighbor as well when I got home. So we had cauliflower and fish last night and tonight, we will have cauliflower and sausage. I got a digital coupon for $5 off a $30 order from Winn Dixie and they have boneless, skinless chicken breasts on sale. A favorite here.

Now the hurricane is headed to North Carolina. My thoughts are with any in its path. Been there, done it. Another hurricane is headed to the Gulf south of Cuba. It is hurricane season. We have plywood for the most vulnerable windows if our window replacement doesn't arrive in time. But no danger right now.

Sundays are clean up the kitchen day because Mondays are garbage pickup. Garbage gets stinky quickly in this heat, so I wait until the last minute to put it out. So that is my evening plan.

Today, I am grateful that I was in pre-med. I am glad that I can help people who are getting poor medical advice. Have a good day everyone.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

It is actually chilly this morning, 60 degrees ...just think last Sunday at this time the heat index was pushing 100.
Woke up to very sad news,, a house fire in my town and 2 children died. It is heartbreaking. News is saying it was electrical in origin.

Oh Rinty, I just Loved PlaidShirtGuy, reminds me of myself as I have been told that my facial expressions give me away. I have to work on having a "poker face". LOL

The rain is supposed to be winding down, I am hoping i can get out tomorrow and do some heavy weeding in the flower beds and get them cleaned up for Fall. I might get some mums this year, something bright.
The fiance has my mower fixed, but he did say we need to be looking at replacing it as that company is no longer in business and parts are getting hard to find. My son in law said he wants to give me one of his as they are moving and will use the zero turn at their new place. I will insist on paying for it. We will do the no/yes dance and i will win. LOL

I have a load of dog towels/ rugs in the washer, rain brings mud and i towel dry the dogs when they come in and are wet. Can't let my babies get chilled, lol.
Roast pork, mashed potatoes and veggies with salad on the side for dads supper tonight.
Off to watch my favorite Sunday show and get busy.
Have a good day all,
JCKitty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I guess it rained all night. Sheesh - first we have a drought and now non stop rain. Why not something in between? :?

I did sleep better last night. Who knows why. In fact this morning I thought it was way too early for the pack to be awake. but it was almost 8!

They ran out, did their thing and ran back in. What good pups - did their thing in the rain. I was watching from the window.

Hopefully it will clear up and the sun will come out. It looks very gloomy out there. We have floods. Up in the DFW area a young mom and child were swept away - 18 year old and 2 year old. Very sad.

Hope all of y'all make it through this day with ease.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:52 am Good morning all,

Wow, a new week starting already. I am post eye injection 3 days and look forward to being able to do more. I really want to finish the garden in back of the porch. But I don't have any cardboard left to put down as a weed barrier. I stopped by the liquor store twice this past week and none each time. So yesterday, I called first. Nothing. So I realized I needed a new source. I also needed a longer landscape timber to build an erosion barrier over the ditch culvert. They are not on sale, but there usually is a bad one in the 70% off and sure enough, there was. This one is worse that usual, but it will do. The end was twisted, so I had them cut it off(free cut). So I will plan on putting it in place today. If I don't like it, I have a place in back for it. And they had a piece of folded cardboard in their lumber trash. I got it free. It is very nice. Very big. Put it down today.

I saw my sick neighbor out and I gave her the instructions on how to take her vitamins to cure her unrecognized vitamin deficiency. Of course, I said she needed to get blood work done to confirm the situation, but meanwhile she can take these vitamins in these amounts. Since I "cured" her of her arthritis pain by saying it sounds like a wheat allergy, I was asked about this burning pain in her legs. OTC vitamins will not represent a health risk over the short term and it may help. Well, we will see. Then she asked me about sugar addiction because someone on TV said that fructose was addictive. I raised my eyebrows on that one. So a quick lesson in organic chemistry and brain chemistry. I tried to keep it simple. It really is simple. Turns out she was indirectly asking because her son's new wife is a sugar addict. So I tried to explain how the brain handles sugar, but I feel it quickly went over her head. I have a feeling this will come up again some time.

In my quest for cardboard, I stopped at the local fruit stand. I didn't get any cardboard, but they had beautiful heads of cauliflower for 99c. I bought 2. And called my neighbor as well when I got home. So we had cauliflower and fish last night and tonight, we will have cauliflower and sausage. I got a digital coupon for $5 off a $30 order from Winn Dixie and they have boneless, skinless chicken breasts on sale. A favorite here.

Now the hurricane is headed to North Carolina. My thoughts are with any in its path. Been there, done it. Another hurricane is headed to the Gulf south of Cuba. It is hurricane season. We have plywood for the most vulnerable windows if our window replacement doesn't arrive in time. But no danger right now.

Sundays are clean up the kitchen day because Mondays are garbage pickup. Garbage gets stinky quickly in this heat, so I wait until the last minute to put it out. So that is my evening plan.

Today, I am grateful that I was in pre-med. I am glad that I can help people who are getting poor medical advice. Have a good day everyone.
Dg the burning in your neighbors legs could be related to low B-12. I Use to have severe"diabetic" neuropathy but now that my B-12 is at the lowest level of normal the neuropathy has decreased significantly..

Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I woke up to ( 59 F) (15 C). The sky is very dark but no rain right now.. We were on the cusp of the heavy rain. We just had a nice steady rain off and on. People south and west of us received 4 to 9 inches. They said there were 700 calls for people needing to be rescued.. Some in their homes others in their vehicles.. Some idiots always try to drive through the flooded roads and get swept away or stranded on top of their vehicles. We are still under a flood warning starting this afternoon and at least for the foreseeable future. I am up in the hills so no problem here. Plus I always keep a stockpile regarding food and household needs for at least 3 to 6 months and in some areas have 1 year. I would like to get more food in but have to do that gradually. I am actually using up a lot of my food storage now since it has been long term for a lot of the items.

Have a good and frugal day.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama