Daily Check in Sept 11, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Sept 11, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning folks,

My parents and my aunt and Uncle are heading inland today to avoid Florence. I texted my brother a happy birthday.

And where were you 17 yers ago? I was a DoD Contractor on base. They sent us home. 40 of us showed up at our corporate office, hanging out int he conference room. The president came in and said "OK, those of you who have work you can do at home for your client, go. The rest of you, choose material from our library here for certification or self improvement and take it home. If you don't want to do that, you may take PTO." So we got paid. Not all contractors were paid during the time off by their companies.

Maggie
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check in Sept 11, 2018

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning Maggie and all.

I’m up early because I’m still on UK time.

Seventeen years ago I was driving to work listening to music when they interrupted to say that the second plane hit the World Trade Center. At work I called mom and finally got a message to her through a neighbor. She had been working in the yard. Our office all gathered around the black-and-white TV with the aluminum foil on the antenna to watch CBS. I remember the news sites online being super slow, no video. CNN stripped out all photos and was text only. The best news online was from BBC. I was supposed to host a baby shower for a gal in the Art Department at a local restaurant at noon but we cancelled it. About the time the second tower fell we all went home.
frugalaaron

Post by frugalaaron »

Seventeen years ago...
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Seventeen years ago I was working on my computer getting things ready for my visit to the high school to talk to the Grade 9 religion class. I remember wondering why the TV was showing an action film (remember Towering Inferno) and stuck on one loop. Then it hit me what I was actually seeing.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I made a decision late yesterday afternoon that I would be heading for my Aunts on Sunday after Mass. It is just too hard to get everything done in order to leave on Wednesday (yikes that's tomorrow). Instead I will use the extra time to get meals made up for Hubby while I am gone, and the garden and such harvested and processed.

Today I plan on making the tomato/spaghetti sauce for the freezer, getting some clippings to root from my ivy plants, and the neighbours sweet potato vine. I know the ivy will root nicely. Not too sure about the sweet potato vine, but I will give it a try.

I am catching a cold, stuffy, nose running and at times a bit of a cough. Hopefully it is not a long lasting one.

Hubby dehydrated his cayenne peppers last night. There are lots more to be picked so hopefully I will have both ground red pepper and red pepper flakes. This is the first really good harvest we have had of this type of pepper.

I need to pick some more oregano to dehydrate today as well. Perhaps even some thyme and sage. That will give me enough dehydrated herbs to make it through the late fall, winter and spring.

Hubby started digging up the perennial bed yesterday, which means I have to get in there and rescue my Asiatic Lily bulbs. I just wish I would have marked which colour was where. Now it will be a guessing game when I go to replant them come the spring.

The usual frugal happenings will be taking place here. I am hoping to have a few no spend days (I will have to head out and buy freezer bags on Thursday) strung together this week. This month might be touch and go when it comes to meeting my no spend goal. Really glad I am still doing the pantry/freezer challenge though. I need to clear out room in the meat freezer so when we do a stock up next month it will be all fresh meat to choose from.

Still have not made up my monthly menu and that will be done today as well. Pretty soon I will be so far behind that I will never catch up and need to wait until next month to get back to being organized. The extra cleaning list will need doing today as well. Come to think of it I haven't even made up this weeks to do list either! Oh my!!!!

Supper tonight will be a chicken curry using the leftover chicken (used up the leftover meatloaf last night) served with a salad and some rice. Dessert will either be cookies, ice cream or melon from the garden.

Today I am grateful that while the mornings are fairly cool, the afternoons are just right.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

Today
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

9/11, a day to remember,

Even my neighbor and I discussed it during our walk this morning. I got numerous calls from friends wondering what they should do, where they should hide. I tried to calm them down saying I don't think they are going to seek you out at home. I was disappointed in the government response and still disappointed with the care received by the 9/11 responders.

Yesterday, the yard guy showed up and worked. I of course, worked beside him. That is how you make sure they work. So the sugarcane got dug and replanted and we did not get any rain. First day with no rain for a long time. So today, I have to string my hoses together and try to reach that spot in the far back yard. Sugarcane is hardy. We may find out how hardy.

I also have a couple of other unpleasant things to do regarding a blocked toilet.

Yesterday, hubs called the window people. They said they were unloading the truck and would know today if our windows were on it. So waiting for a call. The windows are the last major goal for the year. I set up doctor appointments and everything away from these several weeks anticipating the windows would be in now. Hopeful.

I got another gift card. Got to start using them up. Quite a pile of them now.

Today, I am grateful that I am not too sore from working in the yard yesterday. Have a good day everyone.