Daily Check in Sept 11, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jckitty

Re: Daily Check in Sept 11, 2018

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

17 years ago I was making pies in the kitchen of my tea room, listening to a classical CD.....my girlfriend/helper came peeling into the parking lot at about the same time my best friend/brother came in. Both were telling me to turn on the radio....we all were in shock. He took our cars and filled them with gas and we started calling everyone we knew to tell them we loved them and to get updates. I considered closing for the day but had no way of contacting the people who had reservations.

We made the decision to stay open and people came...it was like a memorial service. The customers were all talking amongst themselves, strangers becoming friends and people remembering loved ones. Everyone commented how glad they were that we stayed open as they felt safe and cosy with their friends. It was surreal. That week I remember people buying flags and donating more to charities. I remember going home and turning on the TV....I couldn't turn away, still don't remember if I cooked supper that night.

Welcome home FloridaCat
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

back again, I keep getting a warning tag that the site has a bug?????

anywoo… for today I need to go to the bank and deposit my insurance check and then start some extra chores in the house...appliances need a good scrub down and need to do floors.

Wish I could tell if the eye meds were doing any good, I know it is probably too soon but I am hoping...
The mower is fixed and at home!!!! IF it dries out, I hope to mow on Thursday.
Hoping for the best for all of those in the path of the hurricane,

Have a great safe day all,
JCKitty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I was in a class with a bunch of other military people.

One security forces guy kept getting up to answer his phone.

He came back and told us something about a possible hijacking, but no other info

When I got back to work, things had really turned bad. The conference room was set up for our disaster team. I was on that, so we stayed there to prepare for whatever would come. We had the tv broadcasting on the overhead projector.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ... sunny and cool here today.

Seventeen years ago, we had just returned home from a vacation trip to Canada and had slept in. Got up, DH turned on the TV, and the first thing we heard was that the president had been taken to a secure location. Had several anxious minutes trying to figure out what was going on. Finally got on line and got the news about the planes hitting the towers.
We were worried about family and friends on the East Coast, though eventually we found out they were all safe.
It occured to me much later that had our plans been a day or two off, we would have been kept in Canada because the borders had closed.
NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

Good morning,

I am up and moving for the day and got DH off to work. I get the next two days to myself as DH's work schedule is changed because he is covering for the manager so he has to work on his normal days off. I am going to enjoy two days of "alone time" even though I have many things to do.

Got to drive to Walmart this morning and return a file rack that didn't fit right in my filing cabinet. Yep, still working on the home office. Unfortunately since I decided to cancel the whole furniture and bed frame thing I have let off the gas as far as hurrying to get the office/guest room fixed up. The mattress is propped up against a wall. I am now starting to toy with the idea of buying a hide-a-bed in a double size mattress. That way I don't have a big bed sitting out taking up space all the time and could just have a couch that folds out when I would need to use it. I don't know; I haven't even approached DH with the idea yet. I also am behind on my house cleaning. Was such a busy week after we got back from the ash scattering ceremony and I somehow lost my motivation to keep up on tidying the house a little each evening after work. The house isn't a disaster but the floors need swept and I need to dust and give the bathroom a good scrub. I have a decorative sign that hangs on the wall that says, "Sorry about the mess but we live here" and it makes me chuckle.

I am going to sit and pencil out another week of meals and catch up on a few other items. While I am at Walmart I may look for a nice set of flannel sheets for my bed. Just love flannel sheets during the fall and winter months as they are so cozy and I don't have any for my new Queen sized mattress.

Well, the rent will officially be due today for DSD and boyfriend. I suspect he no longer is working; I notice he doesn't leave the house at the time he used to and he is at the house at all odd hours. Hmm, that means he only worked this job for about two weeks. Pfft. I talked about it last night with Hubby about my observations and then we talked about total loser people we each had in our lives in days gone by that wouldn't pull their weight and how we had to learn our lessons in life the hard way. I told DH I wasn't going to say anything but the rent is still due like we all agreed. DSD will start to feel the pinch real quick when she has to foot the bills for everything; food, gas, electric, rent, the cigarettes boyfriend likes to smoke and the rent payment on that 72 inch big screen he had to have. Oh well, not accepting any excuses and we shall see how this works out.

And 17 years ago....I was in between jobs in my preferred profession in the medical field and was working at a flower shop. I was getting ready that morning and my ex-BF (boyfriend at the time) happened to have the day off and was watching TV and told me to come quick and look at what was going on. We were both confused at the first tower burning...ex-BF asked, "Is this some sort of weird joke? Is this real?" We had never seen anything like it before. Then the second plane struck. We knew it wasn't real and it was terrorism. We were both worried something fierce. I still made it to work at the shop. The owner and one other employee was there and we were all in shock. We normally had the shop radio tuned to a pleasant jazz station for customers but nothing was on but the news. The phone never rang that day and not one single customer walked through the door. I strongly remember just an overwhelming feeling of complete uncertainty. I thought for sure we were headed for a full scale world war. All we could do is take it one day at a time. Can't believe that was 17 years ago.

Ok, enough sitting at the computer. Must get moving and face the day. Grateful for the freedoms we all enjoy, and everyone in my life, our good health and a feeling of being most blessed. Have a good day everyone.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I am trying to get organized. I have most of the stuff from the suitcases put away.

Today my shoulder is bothering me more, when I try to do anything. I put an ice pack on it and it settled down. I am very glad I have an appointment tomorrow morning.

I have gathered and put out the trash.

I am still very tired, I am not sleeping well because of the pain.

Penny