Daily Check in Sept 13, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LWolfT

Re: Daily Check in Sept 13, 2018

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ... sunny and looking to be a nice fall-ish day here.
Also keeping an eye on the storm ... the photos from space are just plain scary.

Slowly getting a few things accomplished. Finally repurposed my worn bath towel into a kitchen towel. Have another one that I want to turn into hand towels, since we're very hard on those. Managed to salvage a few of my split tomatoes ... they'll go into pasta sauce. All the green tomatoes I picked off are ripening quickly in the house ... I either have to make a lot of sauce, or get something else out of the freezer, LOL!
Today, couple of errands. One of us has to get DH's prescription ... pharmacy was out yesterday. Gee, glad it wasn't an emergency...

Clem, sorry to hear about your friend's troubles ... in some cases, it's money that causes the rift ... seen that in portions of my family.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Hello all.

Penny, I hope that your pain goes away or at least lessens.

Jackie, good for you for buying Canadian.There is a play called Come From Away about how Canada (Newfoundland in particular) was such a good friend to U.S. citizens traveling on and after 9/11. The play is coming to the performing arts center in Tampa next Spring and I hope to go see it.

I’m at mom’s house and finished cutting the back yard a little while ago. Must admit that it was exhausting in the heat and humidity. I had to go get gas for the mower before I started cutting but I bought less than a gallon thinking (hoping) that I’ll only have to cut the grass for about six more weeks.

LittleMiss, I’m glad that you are not going to Hilton Head now. My good friend has a sister who lives in South Carolina but she is in the part that is more hilly in the western part of the state. I’m keeping an eye on Tropical Storm Isaac because it looks like it might come into the Gulf. I hope it falls apart.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

sun keeps trying to come out.

Still warmish. Looking forward to cooler weather.

Don't know why, but I am feeling blah today - wah!!!

Must be the weather.
rinty

Post by rinty »

Hey FCL and All

Sorry to see so many folk are poorly, all the best to you Penny, JcKitty and I can't believe I missed that Colonialgirls husband had a bout of sepsis. MASSIVE hugs to her for that one, very scary.

Re compression socks, I always wear them as does DH and the kids whenever we travel, so that's even on flights of 2 hours or so.

DH has food shopped early this week as we were out of milk. It was less than £30. He wants a busy weekend of frugal fun so no wasting time in a supermarket. Works for me < I hate shopping :)

He wants us to go to the cinema using the FREE tickets to see the new Predator film I don't do gore but I do like that series, hope they haven't messed it up with this new film. Then do a National Trust property as we are members so that would be a FREE day out too

I have a load of washing in the machine and it gets hung out to dry or on a drying rack. If I could be bothered........... ;) I would make some lemon curd tarts from DH lovely homemade lemon curd, some pear spice muffins as I bought a small bag of kiddie sized pears for lunchboxes and they are PRETTY flavourless.

Or NOT and just get an early night. Drove over to see DS. They were preparing dinner ( a supermarket own brand crappy microwave meal ) I PAY £X a week for his food bill. He had no pillowcases on his pillows and when I queried THAT , the carer took out some more pillowcases from his cupboard ( I buy these too ) and they were all torn. For the love of Pete..............how hard is this stuff to do. The main reason I went was to observe something. It was at its worst case scenario . I stayed for 1/2 hour , it continued. DS also need a doctors appointment re his constant back pain ( he is hunched over and can't stand fully upright ) The DAY service flagged the need for a doctor not the care home. Got out my DS diary and made notes

I drove to a quiet place and sat there til it was dark :? I was in a poisonous mood and didn't want to share it with DH. Of course DH was then very worried as he had expected me back 3 hours earlier........

Work has been alright, my collegues are all very nice and it keeps me off the streets............or DWELLING on stuff.

It has turned quite cold ( FCL you would have frozen to death ) so a nice warm drink beckons, either hot Ribena or hot chocolate or maybe even Horlicks ( a malted choc milk drink favoured by Very Old People ;)

FCL , have you braved Marmite yet ? Get a nice loaf of bakery bread and toast yourself a thick slice, slather it in real butter. Then put the merest SMIDGE of marmite on it and ENJOY. Ideally you could also have it on a nice fresh cheese scone ( again , with butter ) Go on, ask a friend round and serve it as a dare ....................

I am sat here in my coat, late at work , I ran an after school club so off to change into PJs.

Clem you are prob BLAH re your friends problems over the death in the fanily, that would make anyone sad.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

rinty wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:39 pm Hey FCL and All

Sorry to see so many folk are poorly, all the best to you Penny, JcKitty and I can't believe I missed that Colonialgirls husband had a bout of sepsis. MASSIVE hugs to her for that one, very scary.

Re compression socks, I always wear them as does DH and the kids whenever we travel, so that's even on flights of 2 hours or so.

DH has food shopped early this week as we were out of milk. It was less than £30. He wants a busy weekend of frugal fun so no wasting time in a supermarket. Works for me < I hate shopping :)

He wants us to go to the cinema using the FREE tickets to see the new Predator film I don't do gore but I do like that series, hope they haven't messed it up with this new film. Then do a National Trust property as we are members so that would be a FREE day out too

I have a load of washing in the machine and it gets hung out to dry or on a drying rack. If I could be bothered........... ;) I would make some lemon curd tarts from DH lovely homemade lemon curd, some pear spice muffins as I bought a small bag of kiddie sized pears for lunchboxes and they are PRETTY flavourless.

Or NOT and just get an early night. Drove over to see DS. They were preparing dinner ( a supermarket own brand crappy microwave meal ) I PAY £X a week for his food bill. He had no pillowcases on his pillows and when I queried THAT , the carer took out some more pillowcases from his cupboard ( I buy these too ) and they were all torn. For the love of Pete..............how hard is this stuff to do. The main reason I went was to observe something. It was at its worst case scenario . I stayed for 1/2 hour , it continued. DS also need a doctors appointment re his constant back pain ( he is hunched over and can't stand fully upright ) The DAY service flagged the need for a doctor not the care home. Got out my DS diary and made notes

I drove to a quiet place and sat there til it was dark :? I was in a poisonous mood and didn't want to share it with DH. Of course DH was then very worried as he had expected me back 3 hours earlier........

Work has been alright, my collegues are all very nice and it keeps me off the streets............or DWELLING on stuff.

It has turned quite cold ( FCL you would have frozen to death ) so a nice warm drink beckons, either hot Ribena or hot chocolate or maybe even Horlicks ( a malted choc milk drink favoured by Very Old People ;)

FCL , have you braved Marmite yet ? Get a nice loaf of bakery bread and toast yourself a thick slice, slather it in real butter. Then put the merest SMIDGE of marmite on it and ENJOY. Ideally you could also have it on a nice fresh cheese scone ( again , with butter ) Go on, ask a friend round and serve it as a dare ....................

I am sat here in my coat, late at work , I ran an after school club so off to change into PJs.

Clem you are prob BLAH re your friends problems over the death in the fanily, that would make anyone sad.
Hi Rinty,
First, (((Hugs))) for the difficult day with Tom’s caregivers.

I have not braved the Marmite yet! It is in my pantry so I’m glad that you’ve told me how to eat it. I remember you saying the cheese scone but not sure I can find that here so it will be the bakery bread. I didn’t want to open it in Bath in case the U.S. customs gave me problems with an opened jar. (I thought about trying it at breakfast at the guest house - their jar - but forgot.) And yes, I’m kind of scared! I didn’t open anything except the chocolate so I have some treats in the cupboard. (Jaffa Cakes got a bit squashed but I think they are OK.) Thank you again. I have the card you gave me on the bar between my kitchen and dining area.

I wanted to mention that on my last day I did see some YELLOW stickers! They were on sandwiches in M&S, only 50% off so not a super bargain. I had just had lunch so didn’t buy one.

I must sing my frugal credentials and tell everyone that I shopped at Iceland (lower cost store) for my bag of mandarins! £1.75 for a bag of about 10.

Yes, I’d probably be cold in the UK now but it is so hot here. When I got to Tampa and was waiting for my suitcase I felt like fainting.

It was SO much fun to spend the day with you, Rinty!
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Jackielou wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:43 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

I feel much better this morning and more inclined to get things done. I started to feel ill after my morning walk yesterday. I had a headache (that lasted most of the day even with OTC meds), was slightly nauseous, and very, very tired. I did get most of my list completed but did so in fits and starts. Not my usual let's get cracking manner. Hopefully today will be better.

The sky is overcast today so hopefully we will get some rain. Cold/freezing overnight temps are coming very soon so I think I will pick all the tomatoes, peppers, and perhaps even the melons today. Probably instead of taking my morning walk. Then it will be bill paying time, bank ATM visit, and picking up some items at WM and the grocery store (just bought enough milk and such on Monday to see us through until today).

One thing I did manage to do yesterday was some sewing on oldest DS's quilt top. I have a bit more to do and then I need to decide what I want to frame/edge it with and I will have the top completed. I also need to search my stash for backing material and what I would like to use for a binding. It might not be done before I leave for my aunts, but close enough that I should only have a couple of days work to do on it when I get home.

Frugal happenings here will be the usual. Walking/picking the garden for exercise, shopping with an eye to quality/price and place of manufacture. This buying Canadian is not one to save cash on. Wow, never really knew how inexpensive buying from the United States really was until now. Take coffee for instance. Buying the most inexpensive brand of coffee we import from the States is Folgers and on sale we can get it in a rather large canister for $5.99. Buying coffee that is roasted, ground, and packaged in Canada is anywhere from $6.99 a pound on sale to $11.99 a pound when not on sale. This package is about 1/3 the size of the Folgers canister. Just one example of why my grocery bill has gone up. I will say that the more expensive coffee does taste much better.

I have some jeans that oldest DS sent back with me. I will be cutting those apart today to make suitable quilt squares at some time in the future. There are two shirts that will be cut up as well. They are beyond repair. Then there are a bundle of dress type shirts I would like youngest DS to try on. He always needs dress type shirt (couple pairs of dress pants in there as well) for his job and these are perfectly lovely.

Supper today will be Spaghetti and meat sauce. I will make the leftovers into a baked spaghetti before I leave on Sunday and Hubby can have it for a meal while I am gone.

Today I am grateful to be feeling much better.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie, glad you are feeling better.