Daily Check in Sept 14, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Sept 14, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning folks!

Happy Friday!
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check in Sept 14, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Hello again,

It's payday, so after checking off work emails and ensuring noting needs my attention, I was piddling with my finances and setting up bill pays. I put off making this months car payment, but no big deal as since I pay extra, I am ahead, so no penalties.

I have a cousin who teaches second grade at an inner city Catholic school where a lot of the kids attend on vouchers. She had so many request from people asking if she needed anything for her her classroom, that she timidly reached out on Facebook and asked for 28 people to each sponsor a student for $10 to buy a book from the Scholastic book club and was overwhelmed by the response. No to be flip, but that is such an easy amount for me and education is cause I like to support, that I am surprised at how she is gushing at the response. But she is going to match each kid with a donor and the kids will be writing letters and such.

Today I should be able to find time to make some phone calls to schedule getting utilities for the new apartment into my name as well and scheduling my internet hook-up install and even reserve a truck rental.

Have a great day,
Maggie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

Maggie, that’s great that your teacher friend got such a good response for donations. I think most people are generous.

Last night I felt so tired and my throat was sore. I went to bed at 8:30. My throat feels better this morning but I have a runny nose. Not sure if I’m coming down with something or I’m just tired.

Today I need to go to the bank to roll over a couple of CDs. I think I’m going to move the one that I still consider mom’s CD to a different bank. Rates are getting a bit better.

I was planning to do some trimming in mom’s yard but it depends how I feel. So glad I got the grass cut yesterday.

Next door neighbor who rents from her brother and sister-in-law told me that the SIL is getting estimates on a new roof. They’ve had some leaks. Our roofs are attached so she is getting estimates to do both our roofs at the same time. I’m glad she is doing the legwork! I have not had any leaks but the roof is 17 years old so it is time. The SIL lived here until her husband got transferred so I’m friendly with her and trust her judgement. I’m not sure of the timing.

I briefly heard this a.m. that Tropical Storm Isaac has been downgraded to a depression. Of course it could intensify when it gets into the warm Gulf waters. I haven’t heard news of Florence yet this morning but I’m praying for all those people.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

We got a tiny bit of rain overnight. Really not enough to even make a dent in how dry it really is. Today is still overcast so hopefully more of the wet stuff will fall.

I woke up to cat barf on the livingroom carpet (why Shania can't do that on the bare floor when we are asleep, like she does when we are awake) which will add one more chore to the Friday chore list. I am not really complaining, Shania is old and we do really love her, just not in the mood for cleaning that up.

I plan on getting a few things ready today for heading out on Sunday along with the regular household chores. I am not planning on spending anything today so I can hopefully add another no spend day to my total.

I have a meeting at the church at 10 this morning, and really I do not want to be the person in charge of Ecumenism any longer. Our priest and pastoral assistant always say we work as a team, however they do things behind my back, like set up a meeting for when I am gone. It is almost like our pastoral assistant wants total control over what is happening. Really this meeting should be between myself, the priest and the Anglican priest. She should not be involved at all.

I have one more framing row to put on the quilt top and then it is done. I might even get it sandwiched today at some point... Still need to find backing fabric however.

I cut up the jeans (that oldest DS sent home with me) last night. Now I only have a pair of khaki type pants to do the same to (these are all ripped in the back beyond repair) and perhaps one shirt that I know youngest DS will not like at all. Should be able to do those tonight.

I picked the remaining partially ripe tomatoes yesterday and may just go and pick the rest on Saturday before we head out to the football game (late game will not be leaving here until the afternoon). Frost is coming and if I can get the garden in without having to cover anything I will be very happy.

Supper tonight is going to be a bits and bobs soup from the fridge and freezer. Stock out of the freezer and the rest out of the fridge. Then of course I will make some sandwiches to go along with it.

Today I am grateful that Shania didn't leave more of a mess.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

Good morning everyone,

Just up and moving for the day and getting ready for work. It has certainly cooled down here in the valley, with periodic showers mixed in with sun breaks. Fall is just around the corner. Last week I tried looking around for a fleece sheet set for my queen mattress but it seems none of my local retailers have them out yet. I am chilly when I climb in bed and I love the fuzzy feel of fleece. Guess I will have to wait a week or two more before looking. I am trying to hold out on putting my heated mattress cover and I certainly don't want to turn the heat on yet so I am toughing it out.

Finally found a decent living room set after searching around. They are quite a bit darker brown than I wanted but the price was great, saved nearly $800 than I was going to originally spend with the fancy furniture the other furniture store lost. Glad to put that behind me and focus on more homebody tasks.

Still eating at home and making meals from my menu plan. Got to turn my attention to some filing and shredding and straightening up the spare bedroom/home office. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and focused on the frugal mindset every day. Well, off to the working world, everyone take care and have a frugal day!
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Friday morning all,

The last big project is over and I have new hurricane windows. The glass is double with argon in-between and I can't hear any noises from outside. My ears are reaching for sounds. Of course, the house is not perfectly safe from hurricanes, but these windows were a major step forward.

Today, the yard man is here. He is weed whacking in the back. It will be nice to have the weeds trimmed down. I just didn't get to them like I intended. Looking back, my thyroid was beginning to hold me down. I am now taking half doses of the T4 and I have more energy. The frugal advantage is that the pills stretch twice as far for the same price. I had expected the endocrinologist to change the dosage when the bloodwork showed too much T4, but he didn't. The T3 was very low and he didn't want to fix that either. Oh well.

My walking neighbor took her eye exam for the driver's license yesterday. She barely passed. Truth is she didn't, but they gave her a pass. She said she couldn't tell the difference between an 0 and a D. Well, from the way she drives, I figured that. She has a lot of trouble with the lane lines. It would have killed her not to drive.

Today, I will continue moving sugarcane. And planting flowers along the fence. We will have ground beef tonight. I think it is the last of the roll, so I will start a new one thawing. They were a good buy at $1.79/lb. Tomorrow, we will have fish and then the turkey breast I have thawing in the frig should be ready for cooking. I have about 45 days before I leave for New Orleans. When I get back, it will be time to buy whole turkeys on sale for Thanksgiving. I generally buy 4. That usually lasts us until March. So pantry looks on schedule.

Hubs finished the monthly financial report yesterday. We will discuss it today. The electric company bill was high this last month. They included the cost of installing a surge protector. We have to pay a monthly charge for it, but it can save our expensive electronics.

Today, I am grateful to have all the major projects done for the year and no hurricanes so far. Have a good day everyone. Thoughts to the people affected by Florence.