Daily Check in Sept 18, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check in Sept 18, 2018

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Tuesday morning all,

Well, the back yard is weed wacked and the window inspection is done. The inspector wanted to use my bathroom. I declined. I don't like strangers using my bathroom. I find it uncomfortable. Just a quirk, but it is my rule. He was disappointed and argued a bit with me. I still said no. In part it is because we have the handicapped riser and the hole is quite small compared to a regular toilet. I don't want to clean up after some stranger.

With my day upside down yesterday with people on my property in the morning, I took the opportunity to visit my neighbor who collects military stuff in the afternoon. He got an air raid siren and I wanted to hear it. Wow, it was loud. His wife has been asking me for health advice. So she brought out her new bloodwork test. Yep. I suggested to her to start on B-12 because her blood numbers were very low. I told her it would take 2 weeks to see a difference. Well, her blood work showed an improvement as I predicted. However, she has a second issue with her sodium/potassium and protein. I think I tracked it down to her adrenals and the steroid, aldosterone. But the literature is not helpful on the potential causes of low aldosterone. The only possibility was her low vitamin D. Many hormones and some minerals need vitamin D. So she is ordering a vitamin D supplement in MCT oil. I cautioned her about vitamin D excess and to be careful about it. She is going to a Chinese medicine doctor today. I advised her that Chinese medicine is powerful. Don't let the fact that it is herbs and often a tea lead you to underestimate it.

Today, I plan to work on my back fence garden. I didn't water it last night because there was a chance of rain. No rain, so water this morning. Maybe some more planting as well. The afternoons are very hot. Stay inside and clean up. This evening, maybe more outside.

Yesterday, the friend from Houston called again with an update on the tree, park situation. I think he needed someone to talk to who cared. He thinks people should write letters opposing the wet detention. But they need to be to the official by Friday. I said it is unlikely to happen. Emails, also unlikely. Maybe a phone call. I suggested he share this with the neighborhood through their next door group. He didn't seem to want to do it. I told him there was nothing I could do from here. He said maybe I could get my old dance partner to write a letter or I could write it and sign his name since he was out of town. I said no. He is out of the country and I won't sign his name. We are not that close. I asked about his kids and his plans to build a home in south Texas to keep the call positive.

I wanted to give hubs a shower yesterday, but he decided to remove a long toenail himself and managed to rip open his toe. I was loudly unhappy about it and felt with him being a diabetic, no way risk an infection from an open wound. So I treated it, antibiotic ointment, bandage and sock. Dumb man.

Today, I am grateful that no one is scheduled to come over. Have a good day everyone.
NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

Good morning,
Hubby is still snoozing in bed but I am up and already taking a look at the bank accounts as we have bills to pay today. The annual car insurance and house insurance are due on the 25th and DH and I will go down and get those out of the way. Those are "biggie" bills we pay once a year in full as we can get a discount for doing so. I am bummed our agent suddenly quit and walked away from his business, why I have no idea, and now all his customers are moved to some other agent clear down town. Ugh, not an easy drive to get to but we need to pay the insurance. The next "biggie" bill will be the property taxes coming in November. The state of Oregon sends everyone their bill sometime late September or beginning of October. I worry about how much it will increase this year or so as there is quite a bit of building going on on my old street. The properties around here were developed sometime 1930-1960's so the lots were large. Unfortunately large enough to do a flag lot and build an entire home right behind the original home. It has become a popular thing to do around here and it is just making our neighborhood crowded and busy. *Sigh*

Hubby and I are looking into having to put more gravel on the driveway to the house. FIL only had one little car and he had put some gravel many, many years ago and it is pretty much long gone. We both have cars and have had to shuffle around each other on this single-car half-dirt driveway. Hubs likes to go past the gate to the backyard and park his Jeep there but it is just dead grass and dirt. We have to do something now as the rains are starting to come and our driveway is going to become a mud pit. So, we went out and measured how wide we want the driveway to be and how long and also enough gravel for the parking spot DH wants in the back past the gate. I am cringing to find out how much the gravel company in town will charge us. I hope gravel is cheap :roll: . Oh well, no choice, got to get it done.

Well, I have many other small tasks to tackle these next two days off along with these big ones. I am going to get my cup of tea and get to moving. Everyone take care and frugal on :)
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

Up and very busy this AM. Fridge s defrosted, scrubbed and put back together. 3 loads of laundry washed and on the lines, one more to go...the old towels and cleaning cloths from the fridge cleaning. Pork roast (leftover) in the crockpot destined to become bbq'ed pulled pork. Mac and cheese out of freezer, will be added to so there will be enough for supper. Bathroom fixtures are scrubbed and cleaned...next up is vacuuming floors and cleaning at least the kitchen floor, probably the rest will get done also.
I hope to clean out the mower/gator shelter this afternoon and get "mouse cookies" distributed in it. I HATE rodents and they will be arriving soon as they are taking in crops all around me.

It is supposed to be very hot today and the rest of the week. All curtains are closed to keep the sun/heat out and I also can't see the dirty windows....so win-win LOL
Maybe next week I can get them done, I need to use a broom on all of the outside soffits first, lots of cobwebs .

Off to get started again.

Noiseyporkchop, I am having gravel brought in also...for me the gravel is cheap but the hauling is where the cost adds up....ugh.

Have a great afternoon all,

JCKitty
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

2nd try :(

Good afternoon,

So Goldie had her 3rd set of shots yesterday, turns out she can't be walked until her 4th set of shots 10/8/2018 Good grief ! She is now 24.2#'s.

IC
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Good Evening Friends,

I could not face my house this evening or do anymore painting right now so escaped to the library. Painting is such a PROCESS...I am seeing good results but the more I paint, the more I find that needs painted and I am getting discouraged.

Have slept so poorly since last Thursday night. Traced the culprit to my new allergy medication - it is a "non-drowsy" formula and come to find out it can keep a lot of people awake alllllll night! I have stopped taking it and went back to a brand that doesn't work as well but doesn't have the "keep awake" ingredient. I hope to get decent sleep tonight.

We have had a good deal of rain. I did enjoy laying in bed last night listening to the rain - but I would rather have been asleep.

Off to read some of the forum and check out a few books before heading home. I hope you are all well and happy.