Ethically Speaking

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
2dogs+someCats

Ethically Speaking

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

So I know how I feel - but interested in opinions. Last Friday morning I went to McDonalds with a friend because we can get a huge cup of coffee there for $1.00.

When our receipts printed, there was a message about taking a survey and entering the code on the for a free medium sized milkshake or smoothie. So - I did that. Saturday I went to a grocery store next to McD's and so I stopped and got my absolutely, totally FREE, medium size Strawberry Banana smoothie - retail value $2.89.

Well...my receipt printed from THAT transaction (total cost ZERO) and there was another message for another survey - to get another free milkshake or smoothie.

So...I did that - and on Sunday I took myself on a LONG walk and stopped in again and got yet another free smoothie. And...you got it friends, another receipt with another survey...for another free shake or smoothie.

I haven't gone back again - I don't feel that it's ethical to keep getting a free treat on a daily basis while spending NO money in the place. I might do my next survey and give my receipt to someone who needs the free treat more than I do.

What are your thoughts?
floridacatlover

Re: Ethically Speaking

Post by floridacatlover »

Totally agree with you. To me it would seem like stealing to keep getting the freebie over and over with no purchase.

Actually I think it is strange that they are giving receipts when no money changes hands. (Although I got a free Rx today and I got a receipt showing $0 for that so maybe it is not unusual.)

I also go to McD from time to time because I like their salads which are big enough for two meals. The survey on my receipt gives me a free cone of ice cream. But when I turn in the receipt for the free cone they never give me a receipt for the freebie.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

floridacatlover wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:02 pm Totally agree with you. To me it would seem like stealing to keep getting the freebie over and over with no purchase.

Actually I think it is strange that they are giving receipts when no money changes hands. (Although I got a free Rx today and I got a receipt showing $0 for that so maybe it is not unusual.)

I also go to McD from time to time because I like their salads which are big enough for two meals. The survey on my receipt gives me a free cone of ice cream. But when I turn in the receipt for the free cone they never give me a receipt for the freebie.
Floridacat, this is a brand new mcdonalds and I'm sure it is an error that the survey option is printing on the receipts for $0.00. It's so werid.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I read about this on Reddit, where the consensus was that McD's should not be giving a receipt for a freebie. So if they slip up and do it again, you can either hand the receipt back with a no thanks or give it to a friend.

The coffee at McD's is awfully good. That and breakfast biscuits are all I get there, and it is yummy.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

We don't have McDonalds here, just DQ, but they will also give you a coupon when you complete a survey online.

I've only done it once. If I remember correctly the generic receipt they gave me just said thank you.
rinty

Post by rinty »

Well, I think I'd go in for one more and if they gave you another FREE receipt I'd tell them of your experience as they can't have realised it.

I wouldn't be worried about the ethics re Mcds, they aren't exactly a beacon of great employment standards/any other standards really.