Daily Check in Sept 20, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Sept 20, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning friends,

Today is my Baby Boy's 19th birthday. I am looking forward to seeing him this weekend. Mom called and said they will be home and happy to host a birthday dinner for him. And if I invite DB2, he can drop DS off at School oh his way home.

I got several more boxes packed last night, so feeling accomplished.

Have a great day,
Maggie
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check in Sept 20, 2018

Post by alliesmama4 »

Maggie congrats to you and your DS on him turning 19. Have the years flown by?

I have been awake since 2:30 AM. Bummer! We are still having hot weather here with high heat index's Not sure exactly yet how high but I am looking forward to the rain and cool down this week-end.

Not much going on here. I did tackle my craft room yesterday and found a ton of mending that I had put in there over the summer a piece here and there and now a basket full. I love doing hand work while watching TV so will work on and off with it.
Have a good and frugal day everyone.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Cool and drizzling while I was away. However Hubby did get the onions and potatoes dug up (they are drying outside under tarps and spread all over Hubby's work bench in the basement.

Me, well, my visit went very well. My one Aunt in the hospital is doing great. She seems to be moving around well, but her home needs to be made ready for her and that will take awhile. Ramps and such as she won't be able to use the stairs for a good long time. I am hoping that no doors need to be widened as that could put a damper on her enthusiasm for working at getting out. She is happy and smiling.

My other Aunt (the 92 year old), is finally thinking about giving up her house. I think she might find that hard as that is the house her and my uncle bought about a year before he passed away and she has lived there ever since. She still gardens, cans (making salsa when I got there), cooks her own meals, drives (only when the weather is nice), and for the most part cleans her own home. Hubby finds her amazing. She did admit to being lonely at night the final evening I was there and tried to convince me to stay a few more days. I did tell her I would come again for another sleepover (mind you that depends on where she will be living).

Today will be shopping, bill paying, and getting the wash done (gone over by a few days from my regular wash day). I also need to go for a walk as well as pick those pesky green tomatoes (perhaps I will even get some spaghetti sauce made, though I just might save that until tomorrow). I figure I may even dump some flowers out, may as well start as the nights are quickly dipping and it will be freezing before too long.

So while I will have some allowable spending, I will also try to be very frugal (really we did seem to go through the cash this month) by only buying what is necessary, working around the house to get things completed (must get oldest DS's quilt finished by the middle of next week). I will continue using things up in the pantry freezer and cupboards, wearing out, making do, canning and freezing.

Supper tonight is going to be me using up a package of pork ribs from the freezer. How they will be made is still up in the air, but I am leaning towards sweet and sour ribs served over rice (I can stick lots of extra veggies in the ribs....celery, green and red peppers, onion).

Today I am grateful I got to visit with my Aunts.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Thursday morning all,

Well, my plan today was to work in the yard and chop and freeze onions. However, hubs has decided that I have to go to Walmart and buy him some shirts. He insists they have them and they are on clearance. Urgent, urgent. So I am off to the Walmart in about 15 minutes. The traffic here is so bad that it is necessary to find that spot in the day when the traffic is light.

On the way back, I will stop and see if the local charity is open yet at its new location. I asked the neighborhood group on FB but got no response.

Yesterday, I scored a bunch of free boxes for my garden and hatch peppers for 49c/lb as well as a 99c bag of onions.

Today, I am grateful that the weather seems a tad cooler in the mornings and evening. I hope that trend continues. Have a good day everyone.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

Another day predicted to be in the 90's, it is already very warm outside....ugh.
Today will probably be a piddle around day, doing odd small jobs and picking up sticks.

I made doggy beauty shop appointments for my dog and DD dog, I made it for Saturday as it is time for them to have a professional grooming. I can keep up with their baths and trimming but they need a close clipping done.
I did get some sleep last night, only up for about an hour at 2:21AM.
Like Jackie, I think I will be emptying pots and putting them away soon. Plants are getting scraggy looking and looking tacky, all of the large pots that have ornamental sweet potato vine still look okay.....that stuff lasts a long time. I love the color of it.

Off to make a list/plan and get busy.
Have a good day all,
JCKitty
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ...
Janet, we're getting your hot weather -- supposed to hit near-90 here today, though it will drop to the 60s by next week.
Made progress on a few things yesterday, so in a better frame of mind. The brisket turned out quite well! And got a message that I will be getting new ... and (hopefully) correct wheel covers.
Today, a bit of work. Hoping to get to the store today and pick up some necessary things.
Jackie, sounds like your aunt is doing quite well! She's a bit like one of my uncles — my DM's eldest DB. At age 90, he was on the roof replacing a couple of shingles!