daily check in September 22, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: daily check in September 22, 2018

Post by floridacatlover »

clemencia2us wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:46 am Boy it is still raining here in south texas. Setting records.

I'm up and drinking coffee. The boys have been out and are now back asleep. What a life for them!

Will be the usual saturday. - I hope.

Please alll - just stop watching the news type tv shows. I swear either left or right, they are just there to get peopel riled up. I read the major newspapers online and am well up to date to what is going on without having to hear all the caterwauling.

Good story today in the post on that guy that tried to suggest an alternate aggressor.

Hope all have a great day and try to do something to improve your life and neighborhood.
Politics no longer gets to me. I can actually laugh about it now.

I’m now obsessed with thinking about where I’ll go on my next trip. Google Maps is getting a workout.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

rinty wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:20 am Please folk who start threads...........use capital letters, it does my teaching assistant head in :(

So, FCL , you could get in on refugee status I am sure............

DS is, at present , upstairs , going nuts. Oh, well.

We took him out early and wandered the Cotswolds looking for Crocodiles of The World, a big name for a very small ( but very good ) attraction. It has ZERO signage though so its a case of "Turn left at the squirrel !" as you meander down single track roads. Its a pretty drive through lovely countryside and ye olde villages though.

Got there bang on opening time. DS had a teeny meltdown ( in his mind it was probably are you people INSANE, crocodiles are DANGEROUS ) but he was reassured once he saw they were contained. Also prob by the number of small children..............he prob reckoned he could move faster than they could if any crocs got loose. :shock:

We saw The Feeding of The Nile Crocodiles..............34 five foot long crocs competing for dead rats dangling above their heads. Its pretty cool actually. :shock: :shock: ( In a Freak Out Your Kids way ) Lots of verbal burbling from DS. Watched the meerkats being fed................they got live beetles ( far less traumatic ) Then the otters , who got breast of chicken......

Other exhibits all good, did not bother with any of the talks they do, which are very good but above DS's head.

He did choose to have his picture taken holding a small alligator ( about 2 ft long ) I have been before and this alligator ( Ricky) has the patience of Job being held so felt good about it. DS listened intently to his instructions and held it in a death grip but smiled broadly. He felt he was super brave. The picture is hella cute, not going to lie.

Cost wise we all got concessions, for 3 of us it cost what it costs for ONE person to get into the nearby small wildlife park and HALF what it cost ONE person to go to LEGOLAND. So Booyah, I am calling that frugal fun WIN.

Home for lunch , so BOOYAH once more. He was indifferent to the gift shop, thank goodness. His attitude was , meh, seen one cuddly crocodile seen 'em all.

I need to make caramel millionaires shortbread apparently so better get on that.

Maggie, hope you move to your new home goes well. You have come a long way, girl and you sound so much happier these days.

Oooh, a catholic query to all catholics. Are you familiar with Laudato Si ? Its Pope Francis's call on us to be stewards of creation, to be green , to avoid waste. It is SUPERB. In it he says in our grandparents time there was no need to tell them to avoid waste......he goes on to say food waste is to take food from the mouths of the hungry.

As it says in the scriptures" It is a hard saying, who can hear it ?" I adore Pope Francis.

I was thinking of suggesting a Laudato Si activity for the kids in one of my classes. They grasped the idea of wasting food. I have a BIG juicer we use , you can stick whole apples etc through it with no need to peel , makes great juice. The kids were all remarking on windfall apples ( That's waste , Miss !!!!) an on an afternoon walk we did with them. I have access to a gazillion apples from the allotment trees...we could have the kids make apple juice to share ? Ideally I'd love to get a bunch of odd shaped veg ( that supermarkets say won't sell ) and yellow sticker bread and have them make soup and croutons. You could so that in a special school but in mainstream they have so much to LEARN that there isn't spec in the curriculam for the fun stuff ..............but I did think the juicing would work in an RE lesson. I'll pitch it and see where it gets me.

DS has gone quiet, hopefully napping. Fingers crossed .

Maggie have a great move.

And politically............This Too Shall Pass ;)

Re house prices, my best friend in Texas has a nearly 6000 square foot place she had built, waterfall pool , the LOT. Cost the same as my less than 900ft 3 bed detached :shock:
The small letters do my head in as well. The boys laugh at me when I text as I use full words. None of this C U type stuff for me. I think this is why usage of the English language correctly has gone by way of the dodo.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Got my walk in, but brrrrrr. All I could think of was
The north wind doth blow,
And we shall have snow.
What will poor robin do then?
Poor thing.
He'll sit by the barn,
To keep himself warm.
And hide his head under his wing.

Sticking close to home and the warmth of central heating.

Talk to you all again later.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning everyone. Happy first day of Fall. It is 57 F with gray overcast sky and chance of rain off and on all week-end.. My kind of day.

Rinty your outing with your DS sounds like fun. Glad the three of you had the chance to get out and do some fun things together

I am working on paperwork.. The paper monster just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Sometime soon I will be going over to my DB's house and gather black walnuts. I always plan on it and never get around to it. When he sells the farm I will no longer have the option. Although his immediate neighbor did tell me I can have the ones that fall on her property. However she does not get as many as my DB gets.

I am trying to take advantage of everything I find growing. I am going to contact my county extension office on Monday to see if the trees covered in some kind of berry are chokecherries. I did a test the the day.. I read to rub some on your arm and wait so many hours and if no reaction rub some on your lips and if no reaction they are not poisonous. I did it while my aide was here just in case something happened. If they are chokecherries or wild cherries I have a treasure trove growing out there. Have a good and frugal day. Janet Alliesmama

Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I wish we had a little dose of fall down here in southern Tennessee. It is too hot and we need some rain. The earth just looks dry and tired right now, as if she gave all she had to summer and needs to rest.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes about my improving eyesight. I was beginning to despair because things weren't improving and then they thought I had glaucoma for about 24 hours on top of that. It turned out the tech taking my eye pressure was not very good at it. Will avoid her in the future! But that episode did get me right in to see the doc the next day, so it's all good in the end.

Rinty, the Crocs of the World park sounds fabulous! I hope your DS did settle down into a nap after his fun day. (((HUGS)))

I have been puttering today, finishing the laundry, making a grocery list, and waiting on the pups and kitties hand and foot. DS's cat is on a diet -- she is an orange tabby and has the appetite of Garfield, weighing in at 16.5 pounds -- so I have to keep her away from the older cat, who doesn't eat much, to stop her from stealing his food. She does not like me much right now. :-D

Hope you all have a lovely, frugal day.
Mackie
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good day all,

It is FALL!!!! very cool this morning, long sleeves and harem pants! The farmers all around me are taking in crops....it's a dirty job, dust flying everywhere but for some reason when I see harvest it just makes me feel content and complete.

The dogs are at the groomers, I am having my scottie clipped close except he will have the scottie face clip. His hair grows so fast that it will be grown out smooth for the next time and he will get short skirts then. His getting old and has arthritis developing in his hind legs, I am researching CBD oil for him. I am moving a hassock next to my bed as it is too tall for him to jump on/off .

T-bone steaks on sale, small amount of groceries bought and dad's scripts picked up, so now I am doin house stuff waiting to hear when to pick up the dogs,
Enjoy your day,

JCKitty