Daily Check in Sept 24, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in Sept 24, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

mbrudnic wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:44 am
Good Morning friends,

More rain today. It is getting old.

Had a very nice time at DS's birthday dinner. I took him shopping at the outlet Mall ad he got three pair of Chino-type pants. He has no jeans at College. (!?) But he is busy, but it is a good busy. He is still loving it. It is good to see.

Have a great day,
Maggie
We have either had down pours or misty rain for the last week and a half. As you say it is getting old. We need to get out and clean up the yard for winter but that won't happen unless the rain stops.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Another dreary, misty day the trees are turning colour rapidly, in fact some are almost totally bare but we are getting a lovely colour show. Here in my province very little turns red, but we have lovely shades of yellow, gold and rusty orange. Every once in awhile there will be a pop of red usually in a yard, or an abandoned farm yard. I do love the colour changes as this time of year, not so much the weather changes.

Today is Prayer Shawl Ministry day so I need to get my tushie in gear and get the household tasks completed before I take off. I am hoping the recycling is picked up at a decent time this morning as the bin is right in the middle of the driveway, no way can I get around it to leave.

I don't plan on doing laundry today, I did it just Thursday of last week so will wait until Wednesday to get that done. I don't like washing tiny loads of laundry at all. Seems like a waste of water and soap to me.

I do have the other regular Monday chores listed on my to do list though. Should keep me busy and out of trouble.

Yesterday afternoon I made the tomato soup. Took lots of tomatoes, and after squishing really got very little in the way of soup concentrate. Oh well Hubby says it does taste like tomato soup. Those 5 pints are put in the fridge for now and will be moved down to the freezer shortly. Now what to do with the remaining tomatoes as they are ripening very quickly.... Anyone ever made tomato jam?

After the knitting group this afternoon I hope to come home and get the machine threaded and set up to do some quilting tomorrow. I will do some of the quilting on the machine and some of it by hand (just have to remember to look for my quilting needles and some nice contrasting thread).

Really my life is pretty boring. I feel much happier staying close to home, taking the occasional trip to the mountains or a cabin hidden in the woods, visiting with a few close friends and relatives, and just putzing around the house. I think I could easily turn into a hermit. Perhaps I need to push myself to get out and about a bit more often. Then I think "Is there any harm in becoming a hermit?"

Supper this evening will be Stuffed Chicken breasts, salad (didn't get the salad made yesterday, too busy trying to get the soup finished), the leftover potatoes fried up as another side dish.

Today I am grateful that even if we only do a few plants at a time the yard will be cleaned up eventually.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

No harm in being a hermit, Jackie.

I forgot to mention the best part of my day yesterday. For the past two or three months Pippi has been unable to jump up to her window bed which she has always loved. I’ve put a chair there but she hasn’t figured it out. The two times I put her up there she immediately jumped down. But yesterday she was looking longingly at the window bed. So I put her up there and told her to lie down. She did. Made a big production of cleaning herself and then curled up for a nap, tummy facing the sunshine. She stayed there about an hour. I sat in my bedroom chair in case she couldn’t get down but she did eventually jump down. Made me feel so happy for her.

NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

Good morning everyone,

Been a relatively quiet week here, just mostly work/eat/sleep but I am ok with the mundane. I took Saturday off to have a day to myself. I figured I would lay around the house and sip tea and read a book and listen to a nice CD but instead I baked a cake and put a roast in the crock-pot and finally bought some high quality flannel sheets and comforter for my bed. Then, looking at the weather for the week, it looks like it will try and jump back into the 80's most of the week :shock: . Not expecting that for this time of the year! I guess I will put off changing the bedding until I know for sure the weather will finally show its true cooler Fall temps.

I need to have DH test the actual temperature of my oven. I am still using the older stove that MIL/FIL owned as I want to save the money and pay cash for a new fridge and stove, but it seems like everything I bake in the oven does not turn out. I think the oven is running at least 10 to 15 degrees cooler than what the dial says. My cake turned out more like brownies, a loaf of cinnamon bread was waaay too dense and the casserole I made last night...just wasn't quite right. DH has a remote temp gauge and probe that he uses when he is slow cooking meats on our Traeger and I need to have him put the probe in the oven and test what it says against the dial on the stove. It's either that the oven is off on its true temp or I suddenly have lost the ability to cook and bake things :P .

Well, before I head off to work later this morning I am going to need to go online and get 10 hours of continuing education materials that I am required to have for my professional license and I want to purchase a nice music CD from a folk singer that I like. I have gone back and forth as to whether to purchase the CD or not but my birthday is not in the too distant future so I figure I will gift myself a CD for my birthday. Time to get moving and get my tush in gear, everyone have a great day!

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

The sun is shining today. Wonder if the clouds will show up. Still very humid.

It has rained a lot here in south texas. Record rain event for the month of September!

The COD was finally able to mow the side lawn yesterday. It was looking bad. The neighbor across the way just got parts of his done. You couldn't even see the dogs in his back yard and they are huge mastiffs. It had been so dry that all that survived that was weeds. So once the rain hit - they took off. The grass is growing but looks yellow and anemic. Will have to do fall fertilizing.

Today is laundry day. Things are ready to go.

Hope all have a great day.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

LWolfT wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:03 am
Good morning ...
Definitely fall today ... 60 and raining.
Yesterday was a basic day ... did bake the cookies, roasted the chicken, tried to make headway with the dishes, (ha, ha).
Looking at a busy week. I have an appointment (and just realized I need to get gas on the way). DH has some medical tests tomorrow. And by the way, how did it get to be the last of September?

AnnieX, happy to see you back!
Maggie, glad your DS is enjoying college!
Janet, is this an annual review of co-pays?
It is an annual review but this year they are going more in depth.. Maybe someone is questioning why I am still alive after having ALS for so long....lol.I have medicare as primary and medicaid is secondary. However if I do not qualify it will be a big chunk of money to pay for my medicare D and B as well as find a medicare supplement I can afford. This is going to add up in to the 100.00's of dollars and blow my budget apart. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama