S/O little houses or tiny houses :-)

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

S/O little houses or tiny houses :-)

Post by icfrugal1 »

My house now is 1968 SQ FT 4 bedrooms 2 1/2 bathrooms, family room, (that is where i spend most of my time when at home LOL~~~it's where the TV is~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :roll: ) living room,dining room (which is the computer room, it 's where DH spends his time . ) and of course kitchen with an eating area, nice house.

My rental is 850 SQ FT, 1 bed,1 bathroom, living room, kitchen, dining room.

It does have full size garage.

Like LM it is a bit too small for us, or even me, I have way too much stuff even as I try to de-clutter.

In an ideal would I need at least2 bathrooms, yes, I do know that I am spoiled!

How "small" could you comfortably go?

I'm thinking 1000SQ FT one level.

IC

ChristmasTrees

Re: S/O little houses or tiny houses :-)

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Good question!
We are in about 1900sf. This house is too big sometimes...and too small sometimes. We are 3 to 4 hours away from most family and many friends...so when they come to visit...everyone stays over!

BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

The house I downsized from was a 2 story `4000 sq ft, screened porches, front and back on an acre lot. I loved it, but had quit going up the stairs and had hired a yard man and housekeeper because DH and could not manage the work. We spent a lot of time on the porches rocking or swinging.

We downsized to ~400 sq ft, really, a bit small for 2 people. When I moved it was to 450sq feet with a balcony. One bedroom with a huge walk-in closet, a A fairly large livingroom with a tiny kitchenette. I added a small dining table with chairs and 2 burner hotplate, microwave, small counter oven, crockpot, rice cooker, coffee pot and toaster. There is a full size frig/freezer. I can cook anything I want to or go downstairs to the communal dining room where meals are served 3 times a day.

I also added a pullout (double bed) couch which my overnight company says is comfortable. I can reserve a whole apartment for overnight guests, but if it is only one person I usually offer the couch so we can enjoy one another's company.

My bathroom has lots of grab bars and a shower. I can't get down into a bathtub. I do wish the bathroom were about 6 inches wider.

My balcony is big enough for my 2 rocking chairs. There is a large overhang so I don't get rain, but always a gentle breeze.Plenty of room for my plants and garden supplies. A good view of the airplanes, cars, people. I enjoy the view. trees, flowers etc.

I love my place. I think it is very pretty. DD#1 said she likes it, too. She said it was cozy and welcoming. I still have housekeeping help. It is about as much space as I can get around in without riding my electric scooter. I use my walker or my cane depending on how I feel.

I have a large china hutch next to my table, a computer corner, with a view out the window. A media corner, TV, record player, radio/cassette player, portable DVD player and media storage. I have bookcases in both rooms. One corner of my bedroom is a dedicated art studio, with easel, paints, canvases and a chair for me. All next to the window with North light.. I think I have everything I need. The communal laundry is across the hall.

I installed a doorbell, so I don't have to guess, was that a bump or somebody knocking. I hug a screen door so I can leave my balcony door open and the bugs can't get in : ) And DGS#1 hung a large pendant light over my easel. Since we do buy in to this community we can paint or alter our places as we please, but we don't have to do maintenance, just ,"tell Earl".
BeckyO

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I've been looking at plans and think 500 sq ft would be ideal.

Right now I am in an 1800sq ft house.

Since it will just be me, all I need is one bedroom that will hold a full sized bed, desk and dresser/closet. One bathroom with shower - no tub.

Don't need a big kitchen. Only two burner stove top. No oven, maybe my good old handy dandy countertop oven. No dishwasher.

Living area for a sleek couch.

Would need a deck and a carport at least. A fenced yard for my dogs.

I've already let my friend know what I need. She wants to start a small community like this.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

We live in a 1380 sq ft house. It feels large. 3 bedrooms, 2 bath etc. Porches on the front and back. Outside sheds. The thing I miss the most in this smaller house is wall space for hanging pictures. I agree with Clem. I don't need a 4 burner stove anymore. I only use one burner now and the microwave.I don't use the oven at all. No need for a dishwasher either. I do like a full sized frig though. Fresh vegetables take up a lot of space and I do need to buy quite a bit of them. I do need the extra freezer though. I can buy in bulk and make fewer trips to the store. Frugal and convenient. We don't need the 2nd bathroom at all. I like the large utility room though. I can hang many things to dry there and store extra canned goods. I enjoy less cleaning thanks to the smaller floor space.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Dgflorida wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:13 am
We live in a 1380 sq ft house. It feels large. 3 bedrooms, 2 bath etc. Porches on the front and back. Outside sheds. The thing I miss the most in this smaller house is wall space for hanging pictures. I agree with Clem. I don't need a 4 burner stove anymore. I only use one burner now and the microwave.I don't use the oven at all. No need for a dishwasher either. I do like a full sized frig though. Fresh vegetables take up a lot of space and I do need to buy quite a bit of them. I do need the extra freezer though. I can buy in bulk and make fewer trips to the store. Frugal and convenient. We don't need the 2nd bathroom at all. I like the large utility room though. I can hang many things to dry there and store extra canned goods. I enjoy less cleaning thanks to the smaller floor space.
If I do end up going this route, I will be about a city block length away from two organic farms!! They do pick your own type thing.