Daily check-in Sept 27, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

Daily check-in Sept 27, 2018

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Getting us started.

clemencia2us

Re: Daily check-in Sept 27, 2018

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

It is chilly today. Our first real cold front. It is in the 60s! Love it. Yesterday got up to low 90s.

The boys again got up way too early so I decided to go ahead and have my coffee.

Have a couple things I want to do today. Plans for our little gathering next week. The one friend that started all this has sort of backed off. Boy - she has a volatile life. Wonder what causes that. Thank goodness I live a simple existence.

HOpe all enjoy this day.

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hello all,

I’m reluctantly awake, kind of like when dd5 gets up. 😁 Ds15 & Hurley dog just showed up too. Subbing today.

Am brewing strong black Chai tea to wake me up, as the caffeine drink packets are churning my stomach lately.

I did sleep well last night, and hope I can do so again tonight. Cooler night temps are helping, 45*F this morning.

Not sure what my breakfast will be as eggs are almost gone, and want to save them for children.

I picked up 2 more days of subbing yesterday, one for tomorrow, and one for next Friday. I’d REALLY like to get one for next Wednesday too as that will give me a ten day+ stretch and more pay. 😁 I’m praying I can get one.

Self-reliance class tonight, haven't done much of my homework yet.

Am off to pack lunch, eat leftovers for breakfast, and wake children.

Must fold more laundry & grocery shop after work today— kids want pumpkins to carve for Fall Carnval happening tomorrow (I want the pumpkin seeds).

Today I’m thankful for more subbing jobs, and cooler days to have AC finally off.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

My hair is sticking up every which way, must look pretty silly. I think it is once again time for a trim.... I remember now why very short hair cuts seem to need trimming more often than longer ones.

Once I get my hair tamed, some caffeine in me, and the remaining clothes folded, I am heading out to the bank and shopping. Hopefully not spending much, though turkeys are on sale and we need one for Thanksgiving (hopefully it will fit in the freezer now).

Hubby cleaned out all my plants for me, and said some of my older planters are not making it through the winter. He has tossed them to be taken to the dump. He mentioned cutting my flowers by 20%, think today I will mention cutting his thinking and list making time to 20% so he isn't always thinking of ways to make me cut something.

Shopping today should, in fact, take very little time. Unless of course I meet someone I know that wants to talk and visit. Hopefully not. Visiting in the middle of a store aisle is not conducive to a pleasant chat. I am also hoping that grocery bill, and cat food/paper product bills are not too large. We really did overspend on our vaction and need to build the chequing account back up again.

After the food prices are scanned and the food is put away, I plan on heading out and picking what is left of the jalapeno and cayenne peppers. The garden will be done at that point, the peppers ripped up and the soil tilled. Perhaps putting away some of the yard furniture would be great as well (as long as it does not rain of course).

Inside work should more or less be completed very quickly this morning. The task that will take the longest is folding those hanging clothes, the rest can be done while sipping coffee. Better get moving on those tasks quickly.

Supper this evening is going to be Sloppy Joes. We haven't had those in awhile. Think I will get Hubby to pull down the Actifry and I will make fries to go with them.
Raw veggies and dip sound like the perfect side as well.

Today I am grateful for the bits of blue I see poking through some pretty fluffy white clouds.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. The sun is shining and we have a lovely crisp Fall morning with a wind chill of 48 F. I am loving it! I would love to get outside and do somethings but I have an appointment to see my NP this afternoon. I have black walnuts to pick up at my brother's house.. I always plan on it and never get around to it and since he is selling the farm this most likely will be my last chance. Although his immediate neighbor told me I can have the one that are in her yard. Also found out that the trees that are dripping with "red berries" are actually chokecherries so I want to pick those and make jelly and syrup. The trees sort of grew up without anyone paying attention to what they were. I thought they were chokecherries but my brother was not sure but they are identical to pictures on line and in a foraging video I have. We used to pick chokecherries at our house in Minnesota and they make great jelly and syrup. I can even use stevia to sweeten the syrup.. Need to find a receive for the jelly to see if I can sub stevia when I make it.

Need to get busy my aide just called and do to a family medical emergency she will not be here until later.. I need to take my trash to my DB's house.

Have a good and frugal day everyone. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

Good morning,
Not much going on around my neck of the woods. It has indeed been warm the last few days, up into the low/mid 80's. I believe today will be the hottest one with temps in the high 80's. Very unusual for this time of year. Then temps are supposed to start dropping. It is Fall but Summer still wants to have its way, lol.

I upcycled a leftover beef roast and shredded it all up and poured BBQ sauce all over it and stirred it good and it will be BBQ beef sandwiches for Hubby's dinner. I work the later shift today and I always try to have a quick heat-and-eat meal made for DH so he does not perish ;) .

I have gotten rid of the old mattress that was taking up room in the spare bedroom and have made arrangements for the local Union Gospel Mission to come by next week to get the electric lift recliner and the oak headboard and footboard and frame for the bed we will not be using. It turns out it is a really odd sized frame, a Double XL, so it would be hard to find a suitable mattress and especially bedding for such an odd bed but I figure someone else could take the time to modify it and make it work for themselves. I am really into de-cluttering the house and this bed frame and such is just taking up space.

I am going into October with the focus of simplifying and streamlining my life and home and continuing to save money. I only want items around the house that I have that are useful to me and the rest of it needs to go. I am also wanting to build up the savings again after a summer of spending and remodeling and watching the balance drop to cover it all. I know it seems like the economy is booming or whatever but I know it can't go on forever and I am waaay more comfortable with a bigger cushion in the savings. So, that's it for now. Got to get showered and ready for the day. Everyone take care and frugal on!