I Need to Buy a Bed

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
2dogs+someCats

I Need to Buy a Bed

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

So I am in the market for a double bed and I don't even know where to start. I want something I can order online. I want to be able to order a COMPLETE BED - box spring, whatever they're called, mattress, headboard, footboard, the whole shabang -

and I don't want to spend over $500.00. I want something that will be delivered all at once. If someone comes to set it up, great - if not, I can do that with help from a friend or two.

Where do I begin? I am CLUELESS. I have NEVER had a new bed of my own in my whole life - ever. Right now I sleep on the futon that was my ex's before we moved in together. It is too low to the ground and not comfortable.

I want a new bed of my own. Is what I am looking for (see above) out there and available online? Thank you friends.

clemencia2us

Re: I Need to Buy a Bed

Post by clemencia2us »

2dogs+someCats wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:29 pm
So I am in the market for a double bed and I don't even know where to start. I want something I can order online. I want to be able to order a COMPLETE BED - box spring, whatever they're called, mattress, headboard, footboard, the whole shabang -

and I don't want to spend over $500.00. I want something that will be delivered all at once. If someone comes to set it up, great - if not, I can do that with help from a friend or two.

Where do I begin? I am CLUELESS. I have NEVER had a new bed of my own in my whole life - ever. Right now I sleep on the futon that was my ex's before we moved in together. It is too low to the ground and not comfortable.

I want a new bed of my own. Is what I am looking for (see above) out there and available online? Thank you friends.
no good deals locally?

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

2dogs+someCats wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:29 pm

Shelia,

This is just my humble opinion, but I wouldn't even consider buying a mattress without laying down on it first to see how it fit my body, whether it was as hard or soft as I needed and you may be in for a price-shock. The box springs and mattress may run you over $500.00 depending on what you want. It's possible you could get a used one for that price, but I would be a little reluctant to buy a used mattress. If you have a used furniture store you can probably find a reasonable priced double bed, but don't skimp on your mattress, you want be happy. Goggle double bed box springs and mattress and it will bring up several sources on-line.
Last edited by littlemiss63 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

I have been researching on line mattresses and box springs because when I went to look for a new mattress and springs, I almost had a stroke when I saw the price. In past years I went in and asked for the top of the line Beauty Rest at Famous Barr (now Macy's ) and had it delivered. Always a perfect fit for me quality and price wise. I must have a hard mattress. It has been a long time since I bought a mattress . I am not kidding - they wanted 5 thousand dollars. WTH - the last set I bought was 1100.00.

Well needless to say - that is not happening. I cannot in anyway recommend this but will give you the results of what I have found in my online research. The mattress that seems to have the best reviews is Saatva. The other big plus with this is that it comes with smaller height box springs. Mattresses and box springs are so high now they cover our headboard and I hate that. They deliver and set up for free and will dispose of your old mattress and spring. That being said - a double runs closer to 1000 than 500. They allow you to use the mattress & springs for 120 days and give a full refund less $99 return shipping fee if you don't like it.

This doesn't answer your question, but thought it might be helpful info. Few things in life are as important to me any more than a good night's sleep. It decides how I function the next day. Good luck! Let us know what you go with.

BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

I opted for a mattress and adjustable bed platform and I am so happy with it. The box springs are too heavy and too high. The platform with the mattress is almost as high off of the floor but I think the platform can be adjusted. Not sure....will have to check into that.

Bev

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I have a Sealy double sized mattress and box spring. Think I paid maybe 600 for the set at a local furniture place. Over five years old and still holding up well. They threw in the bed frame thing - the thing you put it on. Dang - can't remember what it is called. Is it bed frame? lol :mrgreen: