I Need to Buy a Bed

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Re: I Need to Buy a Bed

Post by SandiSAHM »

My Mom has a Sealy set, for about 10 years now, that she says "it makes you want to go to bed," but Mom spends thousands on things like that and after spending too much on each of 3 consecutive sets only to be sorely (very sciatica sorely at that) disappointed in each, we just couldn't do the same thing over again.

Isn't that the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over hoping for a different result?
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Shelia, Overstock.com has a sale on this weekend on mattresses, mattress sets and beds. You might have to go a little closer to $600 to get what you want, but you could get it all at once.

I am personally a fan of mattresses with box springs of the type that the components can be turned and flipped on a regular basis to prevent sagging. Our current set has a low profile box spring so that the thick mattress doesn't stand up too tall inside the headboard/footboard.

The one time I slept on a memory foam mattress was in a very nice hotel, and I spent half the night falling into the big dent on the edge where people had sat on the mattress to use the phone or change clothes. I guess the foam ones are too heavy to flip and turn. For that reason alone, I don't want one.
Mackie
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:17 am My Mom has a Sealy set, for about 10 years now, that she says "it makes you want to go to bed," but Mom spends thousands on things like that and after spending too much on each of 3 consecutive sets only to be sorely (very sciatica sorely at that) disappointed in each, we just couldn't do the same thing over again.

Isn't that the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over hoping for a different result?
Sandy,

I have a Serta and I say the same thing as your mom does, "it makes me want to go to bed". My bedroom is my haven and I want the bed to make me feel loved, warm and comfortable, mine does that. I had my heated mattress pad on the lowest setting last night as our nights have gotten chilly and I don't want to turn on my heat just yet. I was laying there thinking, "this has got to be heaven on earth".

I do turn mine about every 3 months and I vacuum it monthly. It's approaching 8 years and it still looks and feels like it did the day we bought it.
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

What I learned in my last mattress purchase is that the quality mattresses are plush, not firm. If you are a side sleeper like myself a firm mattress is not kind to your shoulders and hips. This is because there is more pressure on those areas in a firm mattress. I'd suggest laying down on mattresses in a store. I know these days there's all this talk about online but this is something you want to be sleeping on for 8-10 years.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Wow I am BLOWN AWAY by how much time and care everyone takes with replying when I need your good advice - thank you to each one of you and please know that I read every single response - twice!!

After much debate, I spent about $720 and ordered from a store where my ex got his bed frame and mattress - I have slept in it (ALONE) when I was babysitting there and it is like sleeping on absolute, 100%, wonderful, amazing perfection.

So the ex took me there this morning - it is owned by a friend of a friend of his and got me a nice discount, which I appreciate - it's the least he can do. I got a 12" thick foam mattress just like his and, unlike the ex who went with a "standard looking bed" with a padded head board and foot board, I opted for a platform bed frame.

Anything has to be better than sleeping on his lumpy old futon and like I said, I have never had a bed of my own in my whole life so I am very excited. Once I finish painting my kitchen and put the finishing touches on it, I'm going to be redecorating my bedroom - or I should say DECORATING my bedroom because, right now, it is absolutely NOT decorated -- at all!!
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Good for you, Sheila! You deserve a lovely, comfy bed.
Mackie