conversation with the cable company..

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
delighted99

Re: conversation with the cable company..

Post by delighted99 »

Thanks. Writing questions down on paper is a good idea.
littlemiss63 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:09 pm
delighted99 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:19 pm We buy our internet/home phone/cable tv from our local cable company. After talking with a guy from our church, I was told we were paying too much for it. I pay $200 a month for this bundle. No premium channels- just basic cable.

I got a flier at my last trip to CVS from said cable company and they are, if I'm correct, offering a deal to new subscribers for $150 a month for the same bundle of services.

I am not really 100% sure we're overpaying but my questions for you frugal folks are:

1. How do I know I am overpaying

and

2. If I am overpaying, how do I negotiate a better rate? I need wording here. I just can't really fathom how the conversation with the phone company would go. I'm also a horrible negotiator. :D
I am really a cheapskate, I thought my $60.00 a month was to high for no more than I watched TV and I have completely done away with mine now and haven't missed it at all. My ROKU box gives me everything that I want and I do pay for Netflix so I can watch movies if I get bored and feel I need TV. $7.99 a month isn't bad and if I don't turn it on I don't feel like I am wasting money.

Others have given you good advice on how to check if you are overpaying. Write out the questions that you want to ask before you get on the phone with them and tell them that you are going over the figures in your budget and if you can't get a better rate you may have to cancel all together. All they can do is tell you no, and then you make the decision if you want to keep their service. It never hurts to ask. Good luck.
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

Update on things. It turns out there was some premium channel (anyone heard of epix) that I had been paying for. We never watch it. I switched to a basic cable package and the price went down about $25. I think I'll live with this bc I honestly don't feel like switching over to another company that I may or may not be satisfied with.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I would say that is not high as such. I have HBO cinemax, showtime and 3 boxes and I pay about fifty dollars more. And before this turns into a "you're crazy for having cable" thread, until I can stream world sports live, it stays. Along with the netflix and prime.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Quilter51 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:35 pm I would say that is not high as such. I have HBO cinemax, showtime and 3 boxes and I pay about fifty dollars more. And before this turns into a "you're crazy for having cable" thread, until I can stream world sports live, it stays. Along with the netflix and prime.
Quilter, if you enjoy TV and you use it often I would say that it's money well spent. In my case, I had gotten to where I seldom ever turned the TV on except for the music channels and to watch an occasional movie, so it became "not worth the cost" to me.

That is the reason we are all so different in how we want to spend our money. I might enjoy one thing and you another. Both my kids are non-travelers and they haven't come right out and said it, but it has been hinted at that "I don't ever stay at home and they can't understand why I like to go". I love my home, but if I want to go somewhere with a friend, off I go.
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

Thanks for the input. I feel about the weather channel as you do about world sports :D
Quilter51 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:35 pm I would say that is not high as such. I have HBO cinemax, showtime and 3 boxes and I pay about fifty dollars more. And before this turns into a "you're crazy for having cable" thread, until I can stream world sports live, it stays. Along with the netflix and prime.