Daily Check in Oct 9, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in Oct 9, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Up fairly early with a long list of chores and errands to complete today. I really did nothing at all yesterday as we were off to the football game very early. It was nice that we got back before midnight though. Our team won, but it was a down and dirty game. The officiating left a great deal to be desired. Out for a fast food supper after, dropped youngest DS off at home (with the tickets for the next game in case we don't go and he wants to) and made it home by 8. DS greeted us as he got in the vehicle with "Long time no see, like about 2 hours."

Frugally speaking this will be a no spend day. Much too busy getting things completed and making phone calls to see if I can get in with one of the three new doctors here in town. Been waiting a long time to hear from the one I tried to join almost 5 months ago and I am getting tired of waiting.

There will be no money spent today, and I am hopeful in fact of saving a bit of my allowance from this biweekly installment. It might not be a whole bunch but it will be something at least.

We are still eating out of the freezer and pantry. We are hoping to get a stock up shop done by the end of this month, so I will be using up what I can, where I can and how I can. Still find it pretty amazing that I was able to stock that much meat into the small upright freezer!

Other frugal happenings here will be what laundry possible hung on the lines in the basement, laundry washed and rinsed with cold water where possible, always rinse with cold water, going for my daily walk (as I said soon I will be stuck using the treadmill so I am outside walking for as long as possible), working on my various projects that use up more of my fabric and yarn stashes, and perhaps even getting to watch some more Criminal Minds on the android box later this afternoon.

Supper this evening is going to be some leftover turkey made into turkey tetrazzini served with some romaine lettuce salad....Now do I have croutons??????

Today I am grateful that my ankles aren't killing me. Now only if the pain in my jaw and throat would disappear as well. I see lots of hot sweet tea in my future this afternoon.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc »

We are expecting rain this morning. There are severe thunderstorms to the west of us moving in. We are having light rain right now, but expecting severe storms later this morning.

As long as I use ice packs at night I sleep pretty good just waking up once.

They still have not fixed my leaks in the kitchen. They needed to order an new faucet for my kitchen sink. Plus fix the leak to the water line for my ice maker. My friend across the hall has given me ice twice.

Penny

NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

Good morning,
It has been a couple of quiet days here, mostly just the work/eat/sleep routine. I have the next two days off and am going to have a medical procedure tomorrow morning which requires that I do not eat any solid food at all today. Only allowed clear liquids like broth or tea or a light colored jello. Never had to do a fast before and I am trying to be upbeat about it telling myself that this is a good thing. I am trying to make a game of it as I weighed myself this morning and told myself I will re-weigh myself before I leave for my appointment and see how much weight I have lost, lol.

The lame drama from DSD's boyfriend has died down, for now. Still appears to not be working or employed in any way and as for his far-fetched stories go I am taking them for what they are...stories. I think this kid would tell a lie even if the truth sounded better. I think this young man has learned this behavior as others have put up with it (family, friends, etc.) so it is his go-to maneuver. DH and I pondered for a moment about telling him to move out as we feel he is a dead weight to our daughter but we had to remind ourselves that it wouldn't be a lesson learned on her part unless she has to put her foot down and get rid of him. Well, we shall see how this turns out.

The weather has been damp and cool which DH says is soothing for his sinuses. He is worried he is getting some sort of sinus infection and has made an appointment with his ENT doctor for Thursday for some follow up. Gosh, I wish his sinus problems would vanish and he felt better. It definitely feels like Fall here in the valley and I am ready for more rain, we really need it.

On the frugal front, I have added to my menu plan and I am really focused on not buying much this week as far as groceries go. I really want to eat down the pantry and freezer and I am writing lists of meals I can prepare with what I have on hand. I am going to tidy the house today and pay some bills and hopefully get another load of stuff donated as I am still decluttering. Well, I am off to go brew some tea and tough out my food-free day. Wish me luck! Take care everyone and have a frugal day :)

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning.

A very gray day again here. I don't think we've seen any sun except for an hour or 2 on Friday. It's been gray and misty rain for the past 3 days. Should have a slight break today and more sun tomorrow along with humidity and then it's down to the low 60s.

Today will be a spend day as I will be going to see the movie, Colette. It is Tuesday their bargain day, so I save $4 off a weekend ticket or $1 off the regular weekday ticket of $8.

Already went for my walk so that is out of the way. Maybe I'll do some chair exercises when I get back from the movie. Soon, I will be going up to the senior center for my walks in the gym as it's not so easy to do in my 1 bedroom apartment.

Nothing fancy in the way of supper, just a boneless pork chop and some veggies with just a touch of "light butter". Dessert and snacks are strawberries, banana, apple or orange.

I have the hospital Breakfast Club tomorrow morning. The topic is cognition. Who isn't interested in learning about how to try to retain what you've got.

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

alliesmama4 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:21 am

I have been working on what to do since I found out I no longer qualify for Medicaid and due to my medical history have been denied a medicare supplement..I went back through all of my medicare statements for the last two years and saw that my possible co-payments, after Medicare, were not that bad.. So my plan is to try to put extra money in my savings account each month as a "Medicare Premium." It is not as much as an actual premium would cost if I could get one but at the same time it will be there when the need occurs. The only one that is huge would be around $1400.00 for a hospital admission. Still having that in my savings account is about half of what I would be paying yearly if I could get a Medicare supplement at my age. At least I will be getting a small amount of interest on it as well. So things are looking better.
I have stated that things that were tight before will now squeak. I am thankful that I can shift things around enough to put some extra money in to savings to cover the cost.
I was under the impression that you could NOT be denied a Medigap policy if you are enrolling during the Open Enrollment period. And some Medigap policies have a 6 month waiting period for pre-existing conditions. The only way you could be denied is if you had End Renal Disease. At least that's what I've read online. If you're not eligible for that, have you considered Medicare Advantage? Look into them and see If your doctors take it or if you can find doctors in their network that are acceptable to you. And some of these Advantage plans have plans for "Special Needs". I would look into one of these.

Here's a link for some further information.

https://www.planprescriber.com/medicare ... eeds-plan/

My sister is going to Medicare Advantage this year because she can't afford the Medigap premiums any longer.
Last edited by LogicsHere on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

LOL, I'd like to retain what I've got AND get back what I had 15 years ago.

Probably not going to happen. If you don't use it, you lose it.

I just checked in to echo the RAIN thing. Third day, but today it's raining like it means it. Hopefully the last day of it for a while. 70% chance Saturday, which we need to clear up; let the rain move to next Monday, LOL.