Daily check in October 13, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily check in October 13, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It is cloudy today and from the looks of the ground we had some rain overnight. I guess it will be another day of dreary weather here on my small corner of the prairies. I think I may just quit wishing for better weather and be satisfied with what we have. We have no ice as of yet, so I can still go walking, no snow is covering the ground, so I can still go walking, and the temperatures have not reached 40 below as of yet, so I can still go walking.

Not a very busy day at all today. I get to stay home (after my walk) and have some fun baking and sewing. Now that the binding is around the quilt I can spend 20 minutes with the machine and finish it off. Hopefully I will want to cut out Hubby's robe right after that. I seem to keep putting things off.

I moved my shawl to circular needles as the number of stitches was getting way too large for the straight needles. I think I should be able to cast off when I get half way through this third ball, but we shall see.

I seem to be collecting lots of bits and bobs of yarn from various projects. I think I might just be able to knit some very interesting items when I get all the Christmas knitting completed. I am actually thinking of getting the knitting machine out and giving it a try for youngest DS's rug (it is pretty much just straight knitting). I need to get using it or Hubby is going to wonder why I purchased it from a yard sale a few years back. Hopefully using it will make the process quicker.

Frugally speaking I am continuing my use up the pantry/freezer challenge and things are rolling along nicely. So far I have managed to cut the shopping bill down, but I don't know how long that will last. Prices are still rising and since I am buying Canadian where possible things really do get more expensive.

I plan on doing some baking this afternoon while Hubby is watching football. I can do a pie and an apple crisp between bouts on the sewing machine. I would really like to make some cinnamon buns as well so that is on the list.

Supper tonight will be some leftover roast beef from the fridge freezer. Not quite sure what I will produce with it, I am kind of leaning to a pot pie of sorts. I could use up lots of bits and bites that way, but not sure if I want to fiddle around making more pie crusts.

Today I am grateful for my south facing window. I get to watch the changing colours in the valley, storm clouds gathering, and the fog snaking its way following the river. It always seems to be changing.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

When I was taking the price sticker off the Pelee Mum I bought as a housewarming gift yesterday, I saw it was from Canada. Happy to support Canada!

I’m leaving soon to gather up some old chemicals and fertilizers to give to the mobile recycling event. I gave a bunch last spring but found more and they do not have the mobile collections in the summer. I missed the one in September and want to get this stuff out of mom’s garage and utility building.

Not feeling great today. Maybe too much wine at my friends house last night. So I may come home after the recycling drop off.

Enjoy your day.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. It is chilly 42 F with a windchill of 37 F with possible rain off and on. We are under flood warning for the foreseeable future along the Mississippi. It is mild to moderate depending on where you live. Some roads are closed due to being under water and the crest is a few days off. We did not have that much rain but it is coming down from up north. Feel sorry for those who are dealing with it. Flooding is never easy but when it is cold it is even more miserable.

A lady friend in Florida said that her house is completely gone and her place of employment is also severely damaged so no job. She and her family are having to move to another state to live with her sister. I feel so sorry for her and all of those involved in the recent hurricanes. Keeping them all in my thoughts and prayers.

I am just puttering in the kitchen today. Tonight is movie and homemade pizza night. I baked some Italian sausage last night so will saute some fresh onions and some bell peppers from the freezer to add to one. I have some gluten free rolls in the freezer to use.. Bought on deep discount for $1.00 a package. One sausage will be chopped up and frozen for weekly Saturday movie and pizza night and the rest will be frozen to use for a quick meal. Need to come up with something for dessert. I cooked pork sausage last night and just have to cook an egg and make toast and breakfast is served.. I am drinking free coffee. I bought the coffee on sale and it only came to around 1.99 and then used survey money to pay for that so Free! Milk is only .57 cent a half gallon at Ruler and eggs are .98 cents a dozen. The bread to make the toast was bought for $1.00 usually $5.49.. Except for the sausage this is a very frugal breakfast and due to the savings I can afford to splurge on the sausage. I am off to put breakfast together.

Have a good and frugal day everyone. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Kind of warm today. It is overcast and it is supposed to really cool off by Monday.

Couple of events going on today. Might head out to see

Went out to eat last night with friends and not siblings. Actually they are friends of my siblings. But my siblings are kind of "judgy" and don't like the things we do. Gee - have small drink and talk and laugh? So we go out and not let them know. Isn't that crazy. We are in jr high again. :mrgreen: Love it!

Shall see what the day holds. Have a good one.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Chilly but sunny today. I have done my "cherry picking" at 3 stores and that is all the grocery shopping I will be doing for this week - I just don't need anything else.

Family Dollar's spending was two Glade candles for which I paid $1.70. I got non-seasonal scents that were discounted to $1.25 each and used a coupon.

At Dollar General I used coupons and paid $21.90 for $38.40 worth of bathroom tissue and dog food & treats. At the grocery store I picked up two boxes of tea, regular price $3.69 each and paid just $3.00 for both.

All 5 of the newborn kittens (last week) passed away due to their mother not taking care of them. Very sad. Male cat going to the Vet next week so this won't happen again.

I'm glad it's sweater weather and "grilled cheese & tomato soup weather" - solves the "what to wear" and "what to have for supper" questions, lol. Got my flu shot yesterday and my arm is sore but I have painting to do later anyway.

Off to do some surveys. Take care friends.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Good Afternoon Everyone,

It's a chilly chilly 52º here and I turned my furnace on, but no heat. Guess who will be calling the heating man on Monday. I pulled out my little space heater to take the chill off things. Sometime my automatic pilot light messes up and I'm hoping that is the problem.

I am having a late lunch of hummus and wheat thin crackers. Love that stuff. Sabra has come out with a new one Caramelized Onion, but WalMart isn't carry it yet. I will be trying it as soon as they do or may stop by Kroger to see if they have it. Have gotten totally spoiled with this grocery pickup idea, so I'm shopping for groceries at WalMart now as they have free delivery for any order over $35.00. The $4.95 is not a deal breaker at Kroger, but why pay it when you can get the same things at no cost at WalMart and the prices are a little cheaper at WalMart here.

Shelia, I was so sorry to hear about the little kittens. I had heard of Mama Cat's neglecting them, but have never had it happened to anyone that I know. I know it made you sad.

I have goofed off so much this week until I found myself with a rather long to-do-list today. I normally don't do anything on Saturday's but watch football, but if I'm going to get back on schedule it's necessary to knock it out today. It want kill me.

I have a friend who lives in Panama City and she's been sending me pictures of the devastation in her neighborhood and it's awful. She evacuated and went to Jacksonville to her daughters home, but after a trip back to PC she doesn't know when she will actually get to go back home. So so sad.

Well, I'm off to see if I can knock out my list today and if I don't get it done today will finish it after church tomorrow. I declared to many Libby Holidays last week. :lol: :lol: :lol: