Update on T2Diabetes

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Sandy

Re: Update on T2Diabetes

Post by Sandy »

Dgflorida wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:59 am Congrats on your success.
Thank you. It's always going to be a work in progress.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Sandy congrats on the weight loss and the low A1c. I have been gradually loosing weight watching my carbs too but found if I go too low on carbs my blood sugar drops dangerously low to around 56 or 57. I have found that a small apple with peanut butter is a good snack and does not affect my blood sugar and I even went from about 6.5 A1c to 5.3 A1c eating that for a snack almost daily. I had a problem with popcorn but the diabetic association recommended 3 cups of popcorn with 2 oz of cheese and that made a difference. I shred the cheese and put on the popcorn and pop it in to the microwave for a few seconds until it melts.. yum!.. I do not do that a lot but once in a blue moon. If you can afford them I read that eating about 14 walnuts a day will help to lower your cholesterol.. I add some to my oatmeal when I have it or add to a salad or a few out of hand as a snack. It does cost money to buy them but they are tasty and healthy. I buy mine on line at Oh Nuts they are usually really fresh. Store bought walnuts are usually rancid at least the ones I have tried. I do combine them with other things like my gluten free things to get their free shipping. Do not buy their pecans they are always nasty. Do not know why when everything else is usually so good.

Congrats again on a job well done.. Keep up the good work. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

alliesmama4 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:15 pm Sandy congrats on the weight loss and the low A1c. I have been gradually loosing weight watching my carbs too but found if I go too low on carbs my blood sugar drops dangerously low to around 56 or 57. I have found that a small apple with peanut butter is a good snack and does not affect my blood sugar and I even went from about 6.5 A1c to 5.3 A1c eating that for a snack almost daily. I had a problem with popcorn but the diabetic association recommended 3 cups of popcorn with 2 oz of cheese and that made a difference. I shred the cheese and put on the popcorn and pop it in to the microwave for a few seconds until it melts.. yum!.. I do not do that a lot but once in a blue moon. If you can afford them I read that eating about 14 walnuts a day will help to lower your cholesterol.. I add some to my oatmeal when I have it or add to a salad or a few out of hand as a snack. It does cost money to buy them but they are tasty and healthy. I buy mine on line at Oh Nuts they are usually really fresh. Store bought walnuts are usually rancid at least the ones I have tried. I do combine them with other things like my gluten free things to get their free shipping. Do not buy their pecans they are always nasty. Do not know why when everything else is usually so good.

Congrats again on a job well done.. Keep up the good work. Janet Alliesmama
Thank you. Yes, I like walnuts and buy them online from Walmart. I've never gotten stale ones. However, I do prefer the Smokehouse Almonds. A serving is about 26 almonds for 2 grams net carbs and they are filling and give a satisfactory crunch.

My fasting blood sugar this morning was 73 at 9 am and 81 tonight at 9 pm four hours after dinner of a nice slice of meatloaf and a big lettuce/tomato salad. Later I will likely have popcorn.
BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

I think this is funny. I saw my doctor last week. I could loose lots of weight but using steroids for 15 years I prob won't ever loose it. I have kept my A1C in the 4.9 to 5.2 range. I do have trouble with low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Two of my doctors have told me that I could let my A1C get higher. This time I had titrated, (changed the amt of insulin) a few times to prevent hypoglycemia.. I told her. She made a big point of telling me that at my age I could safely let my A1C rise to 8 . My A1C was 5.9 even after titrating my insulin (not taking it a few times). Allie, that advise is from the American Diabetic Association.
BeckyO
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Sandy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:25 pm My fasting blood sugar this morning was 73 at 9 am and 81 tonight at 9 pm four hours after dinner of a nice slice of meatloaf and a big lettuce/tomato salad. Later I will likely have popcorn.
Those blood sugars are too low.

And low BS can actually CAUSE high blood sugars. When your BS gets low, your liver kicks glucose out into your bloodstream to increase it. Being diabetic, you are not able to effectively release insulin (if at all) to counteract your BS then going too high.

This often can happen overnight when you're going long periods without eating, and you can wake up with high blood sugar. Right now you're low, but your liver is going to want to counteract that.

Eating only two meals per day is not helping you. And over-restricting your carbs isn't, either.............if your body needs more carbs, as I said your liver will make them in glucose, and you don't have the insulin to stop a big rise in BS. You may not be seeing this now, but it will happen.

Have fruit with some protein.....apple or banana (slightly green) with peanut butter or cheese. For me, sourdough bread does not spike my blood sugar like other breads. Either from the bakery at the store, or homemade......not the packaged loaves...those aren't really sourdough, they're just sour tasting.

Your BS should be 80-120 (some are saying 110 I believe) ......so when you're under 90 you're getting too close to being too low and should eat something. I find it more useful for me to check my BS two hours AFTER eating.....at that time it should be under 180. Gradually it will get lower and should end up normal by your next meal......which you should be eating 3 per day, plus a couple snacks.

Going too low with your BS is more dangerous than going too high. At 73 you're about 30 points from a seizure. On the high side, if you go over 300 you'll need to see a doctor before it gets even higher and complications can lead to a coma. So there is no wiggle room when going low.

If you're often low despite eating enough, you might need your Rx dosage or medication adjusted.
ohjodi
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

ohjodi wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:58 am
Sandy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:25 pm My fasting blood sugar this morning was 73 at 9 am and 81 tonight at 9 pm four hours after dinner of a nice slice of meatloaf and a big lettuce/tomato salad. Later I will likely have popcorn.
Those blood sugars are too low.

And low BS can actually CAUSE high blood sugars. When your BS gets low, your liver kicks glucose out into your bloodstream to increase it. Being diabetic, you are not able to effectively release insulin (if at all) to counteract your BS then going too high.

This often can happen overnight when you're going long periods without eating, and you can wake up with high blood sugar. Right now you're low, but your liver is going to want to counteract that.

Eating only two meals per day is not helping you. And over-restricting your carbs isn't, either.............if your body needs more carbs, as I said your liver will make them in glucose, and you don't have the insulin to stop a big rise in BS. You may not be seeing this now, but it will happen.

Have fruit with some protein.....apple or banana (slightly green) with peanut butter or cheese. For me, sourdough bread does not spike my blood sugar like other breads. Either from the bakery at the store, or homemade......not the packaged loaves...those aren't really sourdough, they're just sour tasting.

Your BS should be 80-120 (some are saying 110 I believe) ......so when you're under 90 you're getting too close to being too low and should eat something. I find it more useful for me to check my BS two hours AFTER eating.....at that time it should be under 180. Gradually it will get lower and should end up normal by your next meal......which you should be eating 3 per day, plus a couple snacks.

Going too low with your BS is more dangerous than going too high. At 73 you're about 30 points from a seizure. On the high side, if you go over 300 you'll need to see a doctor before it gets even higher and complications can lead to a coma. So there is no wiggle room when going low.

If you're often low despite eating enough, you might need your Rx dosage or medication adjusted.
Jodi I try to not allow my blood sugar to go too low since I know that is dangerous that is why I have to add more carbs to my diet when following a ketogenic or low carb diet. It actually scares me more than the higher numbers.. I try to keep the blood sugar high under 140 since they say 140 or over is causing damage. I try to eat every 3 or 4 hours nothing big just something and it seems to keep things on an even keep. My diabetic nurse told me to eat a snack at 9:00 PM she suggested cottage cheese and fruit. Which I sometimes eat and sometimes not. I am not a late night snacker.. However when I do eat it my blood sugar is more normal in the morning compared to not eating it. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama