Update on T2Diabetes

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Sandy

Re: Update on T2Diabetes

Post by Sandy »

ohjodi wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:58 am
Sandy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:25 pm My fasting blood sugar this morning was 73 at 9 am and 81 tonight at 9 pm four hours after dinner of a nice slice of meatloaf and a big lettuce/tomato salad. Later I will likely have popcorn.
Those blood sugars are too low.

And low BS can actually CAUSE high blood sugars. When your BS gets low, your liver kicks glucose out into your bloodstream to increase it. Being diabetic, you are not able to effectively release insulin (if at all) to counteract your BS then going too high.

This often can happen overnight when you're going long periods without eating, and you can wake up with high blood sugar. Right now you're low, but your liver is going to want to counteract that.

Eating only two meals per day is not helping you. And over-restricting your carbs isn't, either.............if your body needs more carbs, as I said your liver will make them in glucose, and you don't have the insulin to stop a big rise in BS. You may not be seeing this now, but it will happen.

Have fruit with some protein.....apple or banana (slightly green) with peanut butter or cheese. For me, sourdough bread does not spike my blood sugar like other breads. Either from the bakery at the store, or homemade......not the packaged loaves...those aren't really sourdough, they're just sour tasting.

Your BS should be 80-120 (some are saying 110 I believe) ......so when you're under 90 you're getting too close to being too low and should eat something. I find it more useful for me to check my BS two hours AFTER eating.....at that time it should be under 180. Gradually it will get lower and should end up normal by your next meal......which you should be eating 3 per day, plus a couple snacks.

Going too low with your BS is more dangerous than going too high. At 73 you're about 30 points from a seizure. On the high side, if you go over 300 you'll need to see a doctor before it gets even higher and complications can lead to a coma. So there is no wiggle room when going low.

If you're often low despite eating enough, you might need your Rx dosage or medication adjusted.
I am in good communication with my doctor.
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Sandy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:25 pm My fasting blood sugar this morning was 73 at 9 am and 81 tonight at 9 pm four hours after dinner of a nice slice of meatloaf and a big lettuce/tomato salad. Later I will likely have popcorn.

And low BS can actually CAUSE high blood sugars. When your BS gets low, your liver kicks glucose out into your bloodstream to increase it. Being diabetic, you are not able to effectively release insulin (if at all) to counteract your BS then going too high.

This often can happen overnight when you're going long periods without eating, and you can wake up with high blood sugar. Right now you're low, but your liver is going to want to counteract that.

Eating only two meals per day is not helping you. And over-restricting your carbs isn't, either.............if your body needs more carbs, as I said your liver will make them in glucose, and you don't have the insulin to stop a big rise in BS. You may not be seeing this now, but it will happen.

Have fruit with some protein.....apple or banana (slightly green) with peanut butter or cheese. For me, sourdough bread does not spike my blood sugar like other breads. Either from the bakery at the store, or homemade......not the packaged loaves...those aren't really sourdough, they're just sour tasting.

Your BS should be 80-120 (some are saying 110 I believe) ......so when you're under 90 you're getting too close to being too low and should eat something. I find it more useful for me to check my BS two hours AFTER eating.....at that time it should be under 180. Gradually it will get lower and should end up normal by your next meal......which you should be eating 3 per day, plus a couple snacks.

Going too low with your BS is more dangerous than going too high. At 73 you're about 30 points from a seizure. On the high side, if you go over 300 you'll need to see a doctor before it gets even higher and complications can lead to a coma. So there is no wiggle room when going low.

If you're often low despite eating enough, you might need your Rx dosage or medication adjusted.
The normal range for fasting blood sugar for non-diabetics is 70-99. The normal range for fasting blood sugar for a diabetic is 70-130. Normal range for a non-diabetic two hours after their first bite of food is -140. The normal range for a diabetic two hours after the first bite of food is -180. These numbers are all according to the ADA, which my doctor agrees with.

I am testing in the non-diabetic range and my doctor is looking at reducing my medication to 250 mg once a day on a trial to see if those numbers hold.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Sandy wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:53 pm

The normal range for fasting blood sugar for non-diabetics is 70-99. The normal range for fasting blood sugar for a diabetic is 70-130. Normal range for a non-diabetic two hours after their first bite of food is -140. The normal range for a diabetic two hours after the first bite of food is -180. These numbers are all according to the ADA, which my doctor agrees with.

I am testing in the non-diabetic range and my doctor is looking at reducing my medication to 250 mg once a day on a trial to see if those numbers hold.
Sandy Wishing you good luck with your medication reduction. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sandi, I agree with you regarding blood sugar etc. After I get back from my trip, I think we are going to talk to the doc about reducing hub's medication. During my trip, hubs will have about 30 gr Carbs a day, so staying on medication during that time is ok. Now that his body has changed over to ketones for energy, his health has continued to improve. Thanks for talking about your health journey here. It helps more than just you.
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Dgflorida wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:12 am Sandi, I agree with you regarding blood sugar etc. After I get back from my trip, I think we are going to talk to the doc about reducing hub's medication. During my trip, hubs will have about 30 gr Carbs a day, so staying on medication during that time is ok. Now that his body has changed over to ketones for energy, his health has continued to improve. Thanks for talking about your health journey here. It helps more than just you.
One thing I must say is how being diabetic makes changing your eating habits a necessity (and I don't just mean carbohydrate-wise). I talk to/read about newly diagnosed diabetics who profess to be "picky eaters". I try to make them understand that being picky is no longer a luxury. My biggest thing was that I NEVER ate leftovers...never EVER although no one else had a problem. So many appropriate meals can be made for me when there's not enough "left over" to accommodate everyone else. Example: tonight I had a 3-egg omelet with mushrooms, leftover broccoli and shredded cheddar and a serving of cottage cheese with sliced tomato.
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Sandy wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:53 pm

I am now taking 250 mg Metformin once a day. My doctor has said I can try no medication at all but I'm not quite ready to take that step.

Fasting blood sugar at 9 am yesterday was 79; 9 pm last night was 85. Fasting blood sugar at 9 am this morning was 76.