Daily Check-in Monday, Oct. 15, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check-in Monday, Oct. 15, 2018

Post by alliesmama4 »

The sun has finally come out after several days of rain, drizzle, and overcast skies. We are expecting frost tomorrow so I need to bring my strawberry plants in to the garage off of my deck. I will use a handcart and it is very easy. Will leave them in the garage with a sheet over them tonight and then when the hill is dryer will take them down in to the basement. This is my first time to try to overwinter something like this and I hope it works. Normally you pick the blossoms off of strawberry plants the first year to allow the strength to go in to the plants but I did allow them to fruit in the later months just in case they did not make it through the winter I wanted to enjoy some of them. Just got a few every day and ate them out of hand. Hopefully next year will get more.

I have gotten over my concern about loosing medicaid and gone over my 2019 budget and put an update on... 2018 no spend challenge... just in case anyone wants to see what I have come up with. Will not bore you here if you are not interested. I feel better about things and hopefully my plans will work out. At this point I do feel good about things even though things will continue to be tight. Being frugal has helped me a lot. Thanks to all who have given me ideas to look in to and support. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:09 pm
littlemiss63 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:27 pm Good Morning Everyone,

Still raining here and I have to get out in it today as I have a 2:00 eye appointment. Today will be the day I am fitted for new glasses after the cataract surgeries on both eyes. Don't need anything for up close reading, but will need a little help for distance when driving. I have a nice pair of frames from years ago that I want to see if he can use them for my sun glasses. If not then I will buy new frames, don't think that Medicare will pay for anything except regular glasses. I have been using them to drive as my regular glasses are to strong for me.

I slept so good last night and woke up this morning at 8:00. My phone woke me up and it was a political call. I thought they weren't suppose to call us on our cells, but guess they can do anything they want to. I will be glad when the elections are over and done with. I have blocked all incoming calls and hope they want be able to get through anymore. I really resent my privacy being invaded.

Lost another sweet friend on Saturday afternoon. Her husband died about the same time of year two years ago. I saw her last on the day after my first cataract surgery and she was doing wonderful. She was there for a cataract as well. It's my understanding that she died in her sleep, so it was peaceful. I have lost so many friends in the last couple of years, but that is the cycle of life.

Well, nothing going on here so will get myself dressed and out of here. Everyone have a wonderful day.
Libby sorry for your loss of another friend. You are right it is the cycle of life but it is sad.. So many of my friends age gone to..

I am also going to be glad when the elections are over. I get so many calls a day for surveys and the mail is overloaded with their campaign ads..I think of all of the poor trees that have been wasted on the ads..

Glad you came through your cataract surgeries so well. Janet Alliesmama
Thank you Janet for your condolences on my friend. I have just returned from my Optometrist's office and have ordered my new sunglasses and eye glasses for distance. He was very very pleased with the results of the surgeries too and they think I will have my glasses before my trip. I am not doing the driving to Hilton Head and I can see just fine close up, distance is what I would need them for. The sunglasses that I had 40 years ago will suffice if I have to use them for the beach, which I would. Medicare paid for all but $72.00 of the bill, so was very happy with that. I figured I would have to pay the entire amount for the sunglasses, but my frames were still good on the eyeglasses, only a year old and I love them so just had the lens replaced. Cost less that way. I could have used the sunglasses frames, but the ones I got are more stylish and they looked so good I couldn't help myself. LOL

I had to make a decision before I had the surgery if I wanted to see up close or in the distance for the replacement lens. My Opthamologist said that is where the surgeries aren't a complete success is that people don't realize that you can't have both, you have to decide on one or the other. I read a lot and I didn't want to have to look for glasses every time I wanted to see something up close. I am very happy with my decision.

Got a mailbox full today on political stuff, just threw it in the trash without looking at any of it.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good early evening everyone,

I am feeling miserable! Colon preparation isn't for the faint- hearted! Trying to down 4 litres of that horrible tasting PegLyte is no joke. I will be ever so happy to go to bed tonight. Then having to drink only one glass in the morning along with three glasses of water will be something I can handle. I felt a bit crankier earlier in the day because I was hungry but tried to distract myself by taking a long walk. I had one before but only had to down two glasses of this putrid orange flavoured "pop". But this method is much worse in my opinion.

Hope all of you are well. Thanks for listening to my whining!
Creative
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:04 pm
gaylejackson2 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:34 am Hello All,

Going to be a cold clear day, high to be 44F, currently 23 but feels like 18F. *Brrrr*

Late start morning for secondary children. I picked up a Subbing job last night as SpEd aide at a middle school, okay by me as they are usually low-key (lower paying too though:( ).

Am about to go wake littles, though dd5 may stay with feverish-aching-sick Dh & ds10... I will ask Dh to take her to school at 12:25pm, as that would save me a day's childcare payment.

Just paid rest of monthly utility bills, and also signed up for "budget plan" of $49 for a year with my Natural gas provider (furnace & water heater) -- I think it's going to be much colder winter than last year.

Breakfast made, leftover soup needs divided into 2 lunch containers, then I'm off to dress.

I must check my Sub bag to make sure Sunday items got back in, and that plenty of sanitary items are in there too.

Today I'm thankful for clear skies, and hope for warmer weather ahead -- soo cold way too early.
Gosh Gayle I have an all electric home and my house is on budget billing and it is $146.00 and will go up in the winter even higher. When my husband was here it was $300.00 in the winter.. I thought it got really cold where you live in Utah?

Congrats on all of the sub jobs. I do not know how you manage to do all that you do. I just know I admire you for doing it.. Good luck with achieving your goals. Janet Alliesmama
Yes Janet, it does get cold in my part of Utah, but last winter was much warmer than usual (temps were 20's to low-teens, with only 1 day of negative temps... versus many years ago that November to March was straight negative temps).

My house is electric and natural gas, plus we also have a wood-stove that I use on the days I'm Not Subbing. In winter, I actually Prefer to use my wood-stove, as I love the intense, long-lasting, radiant heat as opposed to the warmish air blowing through the vents. Warm air through vents doesn't last as long, so furnace gets turned up higher and higher, so our electric is about $100 now, then closer to $200 (or higher) in winter... unless I use wood heat.

Regarding the Sub jobs, thanks. Some days, I'm not sure how I do it either, but I just keep plugging along. We have bills to pay, so more ca$h helps.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:53 pm
alliesmama4 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:04 pm
gaylejackson2 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:34 am Hello All,

Going to be a cold clear day, high to be 44F, currently 23 but feels like 18F. *Brrrr*

Late start morning for secondary children. I picked up a Subbing job last night as SpEd aide at a middle school, okay by me as they are usually low-key (lower paying too though:( ).

Am about to go wake littles, though dd5 may stay with feverish-aching-sick Dh & ds10... I will ask Dh to take her to school at 12:25pm, as that would save me a day's childcare payment.

Just paid rest of monthly utility bills, and also signed up for "budget plan" of $49 for a year with my Natural gas provider (furnace & water heater) -- I think it's going to be much colder winter than last year.

Breakfast made, leftover soup needs divided into 2 lunch containers, then I'm off to dress.

I must check my Sub bag to make sure Sunday items got back in, and that plenty of sanitary items are in there too.

Today I'm thankful for clear skies, and hope for warmer weather ahead -- soo cold way too early.
Gosh Gayle I have an all electric home and my house is on budget billing and it is $146.00 and will go up in the winter even higher. When my husband was here it was $300.00 in the winter.. I thought it got really cold where you live in Utah?

Congrats on all of the sub jobs. I do not know how you manage to do all that you do. I just know I admire you for doing it.. Good luck with achieving your goals. Janet Alliesmama
Yes Janet, it does get cold in my part of Utah, but last winter was much warmer than usual (temps were 20's to low-teens, with only 1 day of negative temps... versus many years ago that November to March was straight negative temps).

My house is electric and natural gas, plus we also have a wood-stove that I use on the days I'm Not Subbing. In winter, I actually Prefer to use my wood-stove, as I love the intense, long-lasting, radiant heat as opposed to the warmish air blowing through the vents. Warm air through vents doesn't last as long, so furnace gets turned up higher and higher, so our electric is about $100 now, then closer to $200 (or higher) in winter... unless I use wood heat.

Regarding the Sub jobs, thanks. Some days, I'm not sure how I do it either, but I just keep plugging along. We have bills to pay, so more ca$h helps.
I would love to have a wood cook stove. We had a wood stove in our house on the lake in Minnesota for those chilly days even in summer. We did get a gas furnace eventually. We did not cook on the wood stove but could put things on it to stay warm and I loved the lovely heat radiating out.. I agree the heat coming through a vent for short blasts and then cooling down and off and on is not my idea of good heating.. Some year I hope to get a fireplace insert.

Keep up the good work you are an amazing woman and deserve a lot of praise. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:40 pm Keep up the good work you are an amazing woman and deserve a lot of praise. Janet Alliesmama
Again, many thanks Janet! :)