Daily Check-in, Friday Oct. 19, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check-in, Friday Oct. 19, 2018

Post by alliesmama4 »

Clem.. Yum! Thanks for posting the site to get the recipe. I can make a gluten free version easily..Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

alliesmama4 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:33 pm
Clem.. Yum! Thanks for posting the site to get the recipe. I can make a gluten free version easily..Janet Alliesmama
Tastes even better as leftovers. The flavors blend in. I use the cream of chicken with mushrooms.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Hi Everyone,

Guess what? It's raining in my part of the country. I had errands to run today and wouldn't you know that it rained on me the entire time. I did them as quickly and safely as I possibly could and got myself back home. I know one thing, this will be the last time that I plan errands on Friday, traffic was a beast. I know better, just had a memory lapse. :lol:

I do love these cool fall nights for sleeping, however. Opened up the one window on my bedroom end of the house last night and it was heaven. I don't think I have reported on the Tencel set of sheets that I bought after the Texas trip, but they washed beautifully and are like sleeping on silk. Didn't wrinkle much at all. Only objection that I have is the bottom one is made for a little deeper mattress than mine, but I can smooth it out and tuck it in when I make up the bed for a better fit. I can't make up my mind which one I like the best, 100% Egyptian Cotton or the Tencel. I alternate them and the Egyptian ones are getting softer after each wash.

Went and met my handyman, have another section 8 rental inspection on the 31st. We covered the few things that I need for him to repair for me between now and then. Sometimes I think in comparison to others on the board that I don't have a lot to do, but in looking at my to-do-list this week I realize that it's really quite a bit. I do know one thing, without the list to keep me focused it would be much more overwhelming. I am like DGFlordia, I am thankful for decent health that allows me to still take care of my household chores and my small business. I was listening to a Tony Robbins motivational tape the other day and he says that the first thing for you to do in the morning when you get out of bed is to think of three things that you are thankful for and maybe if we would all do that it would make our days flow better. We are going to have bad days, but when we can say that we have more good ones than bad ones then we're on the right track.

Clem, thank you for the Chicken & Dressing recipe. I will definitely have to try that in my Ninja Slow Cooker. I love that thing and am eating more dried beans, because they come out just wonderful using it to cook them in. I have found a way to cook pinto's from youtube that removes 99% of the gas causing elements in them and I eat some type of bean a couple times a week. On the pinto beans you bring them to a boil, pour off the water.....do this a total of 3 times and then cook them as you normally would. Never add salt until they are completely cooked as it will make them hard. I wait until they are as tender as I like then add my salt, simmer for 10-15 minutes longer.

I have a load of towels in the washer and when I get those dried and folded I will be finished with laundry for the week. Hope everyone has a wonderful week-end. Thanks to you all that sent me good wishes on feeling better, feel great today.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

mbrudnic wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:16 pm
ChristmasTrees wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:41 am Last night DH and I attended the Eagle Scout Ceremony for our grand nephew. We are so proud of him.
That is awesome. It is wonderful to have such family support.
Thank you!
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Clem, Thanks for the link. A really good looking cold weather dish!
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

LittleMiss.

We "de gas" our dried beans with baking soda
Soak beans over night
bring to a boil in a large pan. turn off heat and add about 2 tablespoons of baking soda it will foam up like crazy so lightly stir it down.
pour off the soda water (I use a colander) and rinse the beans
add back the pan, add water and cook until done.. You can season with pepper while cooking but never salt until done, because If you add ham to the final cooking it is salty and if not salt to taste. Salt will make the beans tough.

We had pintos with ham chunks, jonny cakes with corn kernels and onions added tonight for supper... I usually make fried potatoes of some type but dad didn't want them, he eats them every morning for breakfast.
I was raised on beans, love them with chopped raw onion, and homemade chili sauce.

Furnace guy was here....good news is it isn't the furnace.... the flu pipe is plugged. With wasp nests!!! he will be back tomorrow to replace the flu pipe....I thought it was weird but he said he has found all manner of things in flu pipes.
Off to read,
JCKitty