Daily Check-in, Friday Oct. 19, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check-in, Friday Oct. 19, 2018

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good evening. It has been a dark and overcast day with a few sprinkles. This morning when my aide came I said Good morning and my voice was barely audible. It is still like that. At first thought it might be due to ALS. When I get tired I have trouble projecting my voice. I felt fine otherwise. Then mid morning started with chills and a sore throat.. Bummer. I have slept off and on most of the day. In between naps did two small loads of laundry one underwear and one dish towels.. Both hung on drying racks to dry. I do not usually have canned soup on hand and have used up all of my homemade soups from the freezer. So threw a large chicken breast in my crock pot with water and later added dehydrated celery and onions.. Made a pot of rice to make chicken and rice soup. I did remove some chicken breast for Teddi before adding the onions.. Anyway nice bowl of chicken and rice for both of us for dinner. Will cut the chicken up in to smaller pieces later and add rice to make soup. I now have the beginning of a cold.. bummer. I need to start to wear face masks when I am out in the public since about this time last year I started with symptoms like this and picked up every germ that came along all winter and spring. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

jckitty wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:53 pm LittleMiss.

We "de gas" our dried beans with baking soda
Soak beans over night
bring to a boil in a large pan. turn off heat and add about 2 tablespoons of baking soda it will foam up like crazy so lightly stir it down.
pour off the soda water (I use a colander) and rinse the beans
add back the pan, add water and cook until done.. You can season with pepper while cooking but never salt until done, because If you add ham to the final cooking it is salty and if not salt to taste. Salt will make the beans tough.
Kitty, thanks for that soda tip. I knew about the salt thing, but I had always soaked mine overnight, then poured off the water once and then cooked. Never had that much gas from them, but the thing I liked most about this method was being able to cook them right away after 3 boils and pouring off foam.

I love white beans, navy, pinto's, lima's and nothing taste better than a fresh sliced tomato, creamy mashed potatoes, a slice of onion and a slice of cornbread along with any of those.

So glad you found out your problem with the furnace. Mine went on the fritz and either a squirrel or field mouse chewed into my thermostat wire. I am going to blame it on a field mouse for I don't know how a squirrel could have gotten into it. Sure was nice to wake up to a warm cozy home this morning. Have lived here 37 years and that was a first. I've never even seen a mouse around or in this house.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I always add salt to my beans. I've never noticed that they came out hard. Think they would come out hard if you don't cook them long enough.

I like them to be a creamy consistency when you bite into them - if that makes sense

We also like to make 're-fried" beans and they definitely have to be soft for that. Soft enough that you only have to use a spoon to mash them.