Daily check in October 21, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in October 21, 2018

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning. Let's get started.
Dgflorida

Re: Daily check in October 21, 2018

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Sunday morning all,

Today is the day we are supposed to get a cool front and drop into the low 80's. Yesterday was already cooler since we didn't break a high temperature record, but now it is supposed to become seasonal for a couple of days.

Today, I am going to fill out my ballot. And take our ballot suggestions to the neighbor who requested it. I kind of dread meeting up with her. She is loud and opinionated and just hard to be around. But she asked my opinion.

I hope things are going well with my neighbor and her CBD oil. I have cautioned her repeatedly that this is serious stuff and she needs to respect it. But she is desperate for pain relief and her medical doctors have given up. She even had a pain management doctor give up. I am not too worried about a lawsuit. I never gave her any medication or recommended anything illegal. CBD oil from hemp is legal. I have known these neighbors for 40 years. And I have personal liability insurance, 1 million from my days in politics. The question today is the same one. Am I my brother's keeper? We each must decide where that place is.

Yesterday, I built the concrete block garden extension on the north corner of the awning area. My back told me last night that I was repeatedly lifting concrete blocks. I worked a bit on the front ditch in the late day, but I was so tired, my eyes didn't want to focus properly. I made a pot of beans using the leftover juice from the previous night's roast. I thought of frugal, no waste, Janet. I scored some smoked turkey tails and added one to the beans. They will be on the menu for today. A whole pound of dry beans for 75c. A score.

Today, I have a trip to the bulk food place scheduled, but I figure after messing with my opinionated neighbor, I will be too tired to fight traffic. We will see. I hope to work on the ditch a bit in the evening. No rain is predicted with this cool front.

today, I am grateful that my sore back is not sore this morning and that the weather is cooling a bit. Have a good day everyone.
rinty

Post by rinty »

I appreciate you are declining the good advice about NOT giving folk your "medical knowledge " But I will say a lot of the people who ask for your help do sound like they are on the Weird Side of Normal so I wouldn't presume that they would not be out to offer blame. Take care.

Beautiful Fall weather and we have DS home.

However I feel completely overwhelmed with tooo much to do today and could happily burst into tears right now. ( I'm on the computer looking up an address for later today and yes, I HAVE TO go there today.)

DS is so "off" it isn't true. Social services need to be answerable for all this. A woman was nice to him yesterday and I did cry ( which I imagine horrified her )

DH also overdoing things.

I have a 3 day week this week. AMEN.

I was hoping to visit the cemetary in France where my GGF is buried,he died in 1918. But there are a lot of demands on our "spare" cash with eldest DS housebuying and I can't justify spending that much on an overnight trip. Bugger.

Dinner yesterday was a dcuk and noodles stir fry , today its duck fat roasted home grown potatoes................and something. Don't care. DS would eat a sandwich. I am cake baking with DS. On the computer timing the cake in fact. He is babbling so the timer must be winding down.

Yay , sugar.

Oh, my contribution to the oil is that nuthin' cures everything............unless its the spurious claims made for Snake Oil back in the day. I am aware it has a very specific validated use for some forms of childhood epilepsy which is actually proven. DS has epilepsy.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ...
In the 30s right now. Kitty, did you get any of the winds that went through here yesterday? No storm, but lots of leaves on the ground!

Let's see. Ran some errands yesterday. DH suggested we try a new place for lunch ... it was once an old high school, and the inside has been redone. Very cozy.

The photos I sent off to my cousin came back as undeliverable ... odd because they haven't changed their address.

Heard that an old school friend of mine is on the transplant list, so keeping her in my thoughts.

Today ... have some work to clean up. Then a few chores. Also need to text our handyman, since DH has decided to pull the trigger on putting in a storm door.

Mackie, if Honeybaked Ham, or a meal from your local supermarket makes life easier for you during the holidays, go for it. (What would happen if you told your brother, "Hey, let's not do Christmas this year, since I'm not sure I'll be physically able to do it.")
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Up and at'em at a decent hour this morning. I should be able to get most of my chores done before church today. Hopefully Mass is not too long as I would love to be able to have a quick lunch and go for a nice walk. I will use the walking sticks again as I need to get used to them even if my arms are a bit sore. I will remember to wear my gloves though as yesterday my hands got very cold.

Supper out with my sister and her husband was lovely. We had them in for coffee after (well a glass of cola as neither really drinks coffee) and a nice talk. It was lots of fun reminising about our lives many years ago. Also I learned that my sister has a very hard time with the decades. Turning 60 is really bothering her. What is it with age and people having such a hard time. I think my hard year is going to be 75 as 3/4 of a century seems to be when the majority of my relatives give up. Oh well, as long as I can keep moving, doing my projects, and just plain living life as full as possible I will go on.

Frugally speaking today will be a spend day. We need to put an envelope in the church collection plate, but that should be our only spending for the day.

Then it will be home for breakfast (probably oatmeal for me and bacon and eggs for Hubby), my walk, and whatever chores I have listed to accomplish for the day. Finished Hubby's robe so I will be cutting out some other Christmas gifts today. Think I will cut out the rice bags, and the soup bowl cozy pieces. Have a feeling I will be making the cozies first as I could not find inexpensive rice on Thursday. Hopefully the next time I go shopping I can find some.

Supper this evening will be the hotdogs we did not have last night. Saving the roast chicken for another night. I won't have any leftover chicken, but I do have lots of leftover turkey to use up.

Today I am grateful for the cat laying on my feet and keeping them toasty warm.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

LWolfT wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:26 am DH suggested we try a new place for lunch ... it was once an old high school, and the inside has been redone. Very cozy.
I love this. So nice to see old buildings that have been repurposed.