Be prepared at all times

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Be prepared at all times

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:31 am

On another forum that I am a member of one of the ladies posted what happened to her.. She said she lives in the middle of North Carolina. She had heard on the news that there was a tropical storm in the gulf called Michael. She had no idea how it would affect her. She said at that time she did her weekly grocery shopping like always and the store was well stocked. She said she really did not pay that much attention to the news and when she returned to the store a few days later to buy fresh fruit the shelves were almost completely empty of food. She attempted to buy the little bit of fruit that she could find however the electronics for debit and credit cards was not working. She offered a check and it was declined despite the fact that she is well known to this store as a regular customer.. She asked them to hold her groceries while she went to a local ATM. They gave her 10 min. The ATM was also not working. She went back to the store and bought what she could with the cash she had with her.. She said to always carry cash since you never know when the electronics will fail and you could be in dire need but cannot access your money. Also stay stocked up do not feel you can go to the store and pick things up later..you never know when something that seems unrelated to you could become your crisis. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

clemencia2us

Re: Be prepared at all times

Post by clemencia2us » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:47 am

yes - I keep cash on hand.

Yesterday I was "down" to 50 dollars! So made a trip to the ATM for more.

I know some people might think this is weird but I don't like to use debit or credit cards at the little cafes and restaurants we frequent.

I think we would be okay food wise. It helps to remember that you would eat to live not live to eat. Also our years in the military and living in bare bones conditions helps too.

ohjodi

Post by ohjodi » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:40 am

Also be sure to have plenty of smaller bills....$5's and $10's, and even $1's.

Cashiers may not be able to give you proper change, and you don't want to be trying to buy a $4 loaf of bread with a $20. You'll either have to go without it, or pay $20 for that loaf.
ohjodi

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:29 pm

yes - I get a pack of 50 ones at the beginning of the month and 5's also.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:40 pm

ohjodi wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:40 am
Also be sure to have plenty of smaller bills....$5's and $10's, and even $1's.

Cashiers may not be able to give you proper change, and you don't want to be trying to buy a $4 loaf of bread with a $20. You'll either have to go without it, or pay $20 for that loaf.
I try to keep a coin purse with change in my purse as well as paper money. You just never know. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:43 pm

clemencia2us wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:29 pm
yes - I get a pack of 50 ones at the beginning of the month and 5's also.
Great idea. I am starting to work with keeping money in envelopes instead of my leftover slush fund container. It will make it easier to see what I have in each area instead of it all going in to one container with a running statement on paper broken down in to each category.. High financing..lol. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama