Be prepared at all times

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Be prepared at all times

Post by alliesmama4 »

clemencia2us wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:47 am yes - I keep cash on hand.

Yesterday I was "down" to 50 dollars! So made a trip to the ATM for more.

I know some people might think this is weird but I don't like to use debit or credit cards at the little cafes and restaurants we frequent.

I think we would be okay food wise. It helps to remember that you would eat to live not live to eat. Also our years in the military and living in bare bones conditions helps too.
I try to use cash as well. A friend of mine owns an antique store and I bought a china cabinet from her. She would not accept my credit card, at that time I still used them. She said she would rather have a check or cash since she gets charged for every dollar people put on the credit cards.. So a small company is loosing money when you use your credit card to pay them. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:49 pm

I know some people might think this is weird but I don't like to use debit or credit cards at the little cafes and restaurants we frequent.

I think we would be okay food wise. It helps to remember that you would eat to live not live to eat. Also our years in the military and living in bare bones conditions helps too.
I try to use cash as well. A friend of mine owns an antique store and I bought a china cabinet from her. She would not accept my credit card, at that time I still used them. She said she would rather have a check or cash since she gets charged for every dollar people put on the credit cards.. So a small company is loosing money when you use your credit card to pay them. Janet Alliesmama
Janet, wonder how much business she loses by not accepting credit cards? In this day and age you'd likely lose a lot. As a former business person, you figure those fees in with the price of your inventory, therefore it wouldn't matter whether a person paid cash or used a credit card the merchant is getting repaid the fee. The customer picks up the tab for their cost. You are paying the fee (hidden) even if you use cash unless she discounts the item for you. That is the reason I feel like I break even when my credit card gives me back 2% for using their card. If everyone would stop using them and our prices would go down I wouldn't use them either. Vicious circle!
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Always a good reminder. I also keep small bills put away. It is always a good idea to have a well stocked pantry, too.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

She needs to add the fees into the sticker price of the items. She can then offer a discount for cash or checks. She won't get hurt by fees, and she won't lose money on giving cash/check customers a discount......and they'll think she's awesome, LOL
ohjodi
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

littlemiss63 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:03 pm

Janet, wonder how much business she loses by not accepting credit cards? In this day and age you'd likely lose a lot. As a former business person, you figure those fees in with the price of your inventory, therefore it wouldn't matter whether a person paid cash or used a credit card the merchant is getting repaid the fee. The customer picks up the tab for their cost. You are paying the fee (hidden) even if you use cash unless she discounts the item for you. That is the reason I feel like I break even when my credit card gives me back 2% for using their card. If everyone would stop using them and our prices would go down I wouldn't use them either. Vicious circle!
She knocked $100.00 off of the china cabinet and said she would hold it for 10 days while I mailed her a check or if I wanted to pay it off in cash over time I could. I feel paying in cash is the best thing for me especially. She is a retired nurse so maybe not a business person like you.
Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

As I have mentioned to you all many times, we were without power for five day stretches twice in 6 months. Boy did we learn. We had to have wood delivered. We were lucky to find any. The guy wanted cash and after pleading with him and showing him my last bank balance sheet, he took a check. I was lucky as we had to have some sort of heat. The ATMs were down and the banks were closed because their electronics did not work for 3 days.

The gas stations that had power or generators - I think there were 3 in town - took only cash because they could not connect with the credit card companies. That lasted 2 days. A couple of restaurants had power - again could not take a debit or credit card.

After that we made sure of several things. We always had a supply of wood on hand. We always have 40 gallons of gas stored in cans that we rotate through every 3 months or so. And most importantly we have $1000 in one dollar and 5 dollar denominations hidden in several spots in the house (and I have the locations written in a spot I can find it - because I am after all senile). It took about two years of getting an extra $50 or $100 in ones and fives to get it together. We decided on that large number because if for whatever reason our home became uninhabitable and we had to drive to a hotel to stay it would be enough cash to pay for a room. I know we draw no interest on that money, but the return is in peace of mind.

We also have acquired a whole house generator, portable generator, camp stove for cooking and large supply of small propane canisters to run it, and an extra tank of propane for our bbq. Also bug out bags. I still need to do some things but we are prepared for the most part. I also have frozen milk jugs of water to fill up the freezer spaces and a stack of news papers and insulated blankets and bungee cords to wrap the freezer stored on top of it to wrap it.

It is amazing how being cold and unable to cook food focuses your mind on the mistakes you are going to correct in the immediate future.