Daily Check In October 22, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In October 22, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

Let's get started.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LogicsHere

Re: Daily Check In October 22, 2018

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Hope you had a nice weekend. A bit on the windy side here, but the sun was out and temps not too bad.

My coloring group meets today and I plan on going to see "First Man" tomorrow (long movie almost 2-1/2 hours). I also registered for a Senior debate today, but have decided not to go. It has to do with revising or not revising the Constitution. While I'd like to go, the last few years, anything pertaining to politics has made me a nervous wreck. I've gone from watching the news to almost not watching it and I am thinking of changing my home page when I sign on to the computer because the headlines make me crazy as well. It's best if I just not go.

Have been trying to decide as to what I am going to do for the holidays this year since I will be alone for all 3. Last year I went out to eat for Thanksgiving and opted for a steak dinner vs. the traditional turkey; this year I'm not sure. I would like to make a turkey (because they're cheaper than a chicken this time of year) and yet I would also not like to make a whole turkey for myself. I mean, why would I want to spend 4 hours cooking and making a huge mess just for me. Eating out would still be easier and this still might be the route I go, but if I do, I will buy just turkey legs (unfortunately that would cost me just as much as a whole turkey) but less of a mess to make for myself. I could also go and just buy a Marie Callander turkey dinner and put it on a fancy plate. I already bought a store prepared meal with turkey, gravy and stuffing which I've frozen for the time being. Oh, decisions, decisions.

Last year I didn't decorate for Christmas because of my loss and because I was visiting with my sister for 2 weeks. This year I want some cheer and I plan on doing something I've not done before. I'm going to add something Christmasy in every room right down to a small tree full of Christmas lights in my bedroom as I spend a lot of time watching holiday shows in the bedroom TV as well and want to enjoy them wherever I happen to be. I also bought myself a ticket to the holiday show (A Christmas Carol) at the local dinner theatre and looking forward to that as well.

I will also take advantage of doing whatever is planned for the holidays with the senior group which so far I know is a luncheon for Thanksgiving. I'm sure there is something they do for Christmas but I don't know what that is as yet.

New Year's eve is not a problem. I've only had the opportunity to celebrate it with others 3 times in my life. I've always looked at it as a "couple's day" and meaningless if you aren't. But as with Valentine's Day, I just go about the day as if it's just any other day of the year and go to bed my regular time.

Well, going to go and get on with Monday. Have a nice day and a great week.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I now have coffee in hand and am ready to type with fewer mistakes. Coffee seems to limber up my mind and fingers.

Busy day today, lots of household tasks. Most of which are frugal in that they use what I have on hand in the house, or don't require anything extra at all.

Frugal wise I will be handling my laundry in the usual manner, baking bread, taking my daily walk, decluttering (mostly email and such), and working on some projects I started but have not finished as of yet (there are plenty of those to do). I will probably have a short break mid morning for some coffee with a neighbour. My days sort of all run to order and unless I have an appointment or something well each week my household tasks on a certain day are basically the same. Spring, summer and fall I just add outside yard work to the mix.

Pretty sure I have convinced Hubby to take his brother to this upcoming football game. I will go with him if we actually get a playoff game at home. I need some alone time and he needs some male bonding time.

I am not too sure about the walking sticks as of yet. They do make me walk a bit faster, and it seems like they are building up some muscle in my arms as they have a slight burn after (my one arm does need building up as the muscles are still week after the break). I did learn a couple of things while using them. One is to always wear gloves as your hands and the poles will not fit in your pockets to warm up. The second is the metal on those poles sure gets cold (suppose the opposite is true on those hot days of the summer).

Supper will be a stir fry made with some leftover meat (either beef or pork) from the freezer. Served with the remaining coleslaw.

Today I am grateful for quiet beginnings to my morning.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

I spent a good part of yesterday with my parents. Mom and I went to visit my aunt. She tells my Mom whatever she thinks Mom wants to hear. But Mom is the bossy big sister around Auntie.

Mom fixed pork chops for dinner. It has been so long since I had pork. I forgot how much I liked it. LOL! This afternoon i will spend all day in the office, then go to DS1 and family's house for bit (and dinner) and then to my support group meeting.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

The good news is my hearing no longer sounds like a slightly off radio station. I am very tired today.

Even though I don’t feel good I do want to try and put away a few things.

Every day is closer to when housing decides to show up. I want most things put away if I am not actually using it.

I have 2 bins of yarn to put away that shouldn’t take long.

Penny
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. Been up since 3:00 AM just puttering around taking summer clothes out of the closet to put in storage. Need to bring things up from storage in the basement but have a car trunk full of recyclables. Hopefully I will get them out tomorrow when my aide is here. She can help me unload them. Then I can drive down to the lower level and load up what I want to bring up from the basement.

Today the temp is going to go up to around 67 F to 71 F depending on which weather station you listen to either way I am going to wash outside windows that I can safely reach.

I still have a sore throat and have some sneezing fits but do not feel sick. I do have a deep cough so I do not think it is an allergy. So just drinking a lot of fluids and taking Vit C.

I cooked pinto beans yesterday and will start to make my chili after doing the windows. I might crash and burn so will wait. I do have chicken and rice soup that I made a few days ago and a cup of that with a grilled cheese sandwich for both lunch and dinner will be ok. Also have an apple for dessert.. I have been on a big apple kick lately. And if I get too tired I can always have a bowl of cold cereal. I did not get around to making my meatloaf and scalloped potatoes yesterday.. Not exactly sure where the time went..lol. By the time I thought about it it was too late to make for dinner..So I had the chicken and rice soup with a little bit of extra rice thrown in and it was called dinner. Had an apple with peanut butter in the evening for a snack.

Have a good and frugal day everyone. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama