Daily Check In November 27, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check In November 27, 2018

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

I’m sitting down taking a break because I just turned my mattress. Whew! I’ve been wanting to do that for awhile but it is heavy plus not easy to do it and still keep the bed skirt in place.

It is cool here but sunny. I had thought of cutting mom’s back yard but think I’ll wait until later in the week when it warms up. Hopefully this will be the last cut of the season.

So instead I’ll do things around the house including laundry and moving some of Pippi’s paraphernalia out of the living room to make it less cluttered and prevent me from tripping when I’m turning the tree on and off.

Pippi just got brave and jumped from the unmade bed to her window perch where she is laying in the sun. She has gotten her jumping confidence back to a degree in recent weeks.

I rented Oceans 8 for my .16 Redbox yesterday. Slow in the beginning but by the second half it was a fun movie. I need to return it later today.

This morning I opened the new Hanes socks from Kmart to put them in the laundry. Kind of disappointing in that they are not the best quality. It says they fit sizes 5-9 and they do fit me but my shoe size is only 5 or 5 1/2. I used to buy Hanes all the time but like so many things, the quality is lower today.

Stay warm and have a good day.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. We had a little light snow this morning but it was just pretty and did not accumulate. The temp is going to stay aloud 20 something today.

I am slowly unpacking my decorations and putting things out. My aide is here and she is cleaning things before I put them out so a big help. I did too much the other day and have been feeling it so doing a little and resting a whole lot.
Have a good day everyone. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good day all,

Have been up and very busy again today....I think I have "hit the wall" for today LOL.

Cleaned steamed and pureed the squash and pumpkins, last batch are in the strainer now and a pie is baked and cooling for dad tonight. I detest pumpkin pie but he loves it and the pie at Bob Evans just did not taste good to him.
So tonight it is navy beans and ham, johnny cakes, fried potatoes and pumpkin pie.

I will package up the drained puree and freeze it for pies and bread later. Here I am trying to keep from gaining my usual winter poundage and everyone is requesting fattening sweets and goodies. LOL , the winter poundage is really hard to fight off.

House is in good shape, still need to put décor totes and boxes away but still need to get the manger scenes out and the pine cones need redosed with cinnamon oil, getting the oil on Saturday so it will have to wait.

This afternoon will include a nap and hopefully some PBS TV watching....I am so easily entertained.
Have a great day all,
JCKitty

icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

NoisyPorkchop wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:27 am
Good morning!
We have a big downpour rain storm rolling through the Pacific Northwest right now. It is dumping buckets of rain outside. We really need the rain as it has been quite dry so far this Fall.
I guess my no spend November is a bit of a bust. I finally got frustrated with the 22 year old stove that wouldn't bake right or the too-small elements on the cooktop that couldn't accommodate my larger pots and I broke down and went and bought a new GE refrigerator and matching stove :roll: . I had the money set aside for them but I was trying to tough it out and tell myself that the appliances I had were good enough but finally just was irritated enough I trolled the ads until I found a set that were what I was looking for and an acceptable price I was willing to pay. They will arrive next week. They are nothing too fancy as I only wanted a set that was durable and practical and will give me many years of use. I really see-sawed on spending the money for them, lol, I have gotten bad about being really frugal in my daily life and saving money but then struggle to spend the money on something important, like proper kitchen appliances. Am I the only one like this? :?
I received a notice from a company that used to have a healthcare card I used through my previous employer that I have been involved in a data breach. My previous employer had this healthcare card that employees could use to pay for medical and prescription expenses, sort of like a pre-paid card, that had a certain amount of funds loaded onto it once yearly. Well, when I left my old job almost a year and a half ago the card became inactive as I was no longer employed there. Well, apparently they still had my personal information and they were cyberattacked and got, from what I was told, my name, social security number, and employer name (the one I don't work at anymore). This really infuriates me! Now, I am told, I need to either do a fraud alert or freeze my credit and call the social security administration and tell them my social security number has been compromised. Welcome to the New World reality we all live in. So, you can guess what I will be doing today; calling SS and all the credit bureaus to lock down my information. Oh, the healthcare card company says they are "really sorry" and are offering me 5 years of free credit monitoring. I think the government should dole out stiff fines to these companies that have such poor computer security that allow their customers personal information to be ravaged by criminals. Maybe it will put a hot fire under these companies to work much harder to make sure their information is secure.
Well, it is too rainy for me to do any leaf raking and I do have a pile of phone calls to make regarding this data breach and I do have some housecleaning to get accomplished today. Also need to pay a few bills and plan my menu for the week. I am off to brew myself a cup of tea and get moving. Take care and frugal on!
Hi, I hope that I put this properly, but , good for you, the money is for you to spend on things that make your life better!!!!!!!!

I'm tying to de-clutter, but at the same time I am buying things to make life better for me. A stove that does not work correctly,(since you can afford it) should be replaced.

Enjoy !!!!

IC

icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

Good morning,

The plan was to be at the rental this week, driving back and forth for 4 days. for some outside painting , but he weather is going to be bad, the job has been pushed back until Jan 2019.

On one hand I was not looking forward to all of the driving, but now I am worrying about Jan. I tend to carry burdens that I shouldn't.

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Late check-in for me, but it's been one of those days when I have been meeting myself coming and going. Lots of things on my plate this week.

I am so glad that I cooked my pinto beans for the Room at the Inn meal that our class was responsible for yesterday. Not only did they taste so good by sitting overnight in the fridge, but it didn't take very long to reheat them today and get them there. I sat with several of the guests that we feed and they commented on how good they were. I was proud they were enjoying them, but I didn't tell them that I had cooked them. Didn't want to sound like I was bragging to them.

I watched a Netflix series entirely to late last night and therefore didn't wake up until 11:00 this morning. That put me behind for the day, so I played catch-up all day.

Rinty, I know how frustrating this guardianship fisco is for you as my DD and her husband went through the same thing with their handicapped child. The attorney that did theirs charged them around $2500.00 to set the paperwork in place and they were floored, but they had no choice when he turned 18. He's now 30 and they get very little help from anyone in caring for him. Now if they would get divorced and she was a single mother she would move to the top of the list, which infuriates me. They hate all the red tape they would have to go through to get services for him, so they don't bother with it. My heart goes out to you.

My favorite niece called me today and was in tears. She was home for Thanksgiving and her mother showed her fanny again. The woman is mental and what she puts that child through shouldn't have to be tolerated by anyone. She and my brother are suppose to be at my niece's for Christmas and I had been invited there also. I want to go for my niece's sake, but I don't know if I can hold my tongue if she pulls this stuff while I am there. Her life isn't complete unless she's the "drama queen".
How my brother lives with her is beyond my wildest imagination. I'm beginning to think he's as nutty as she is, because he puts up with her.

Ok, I'm off to see if I can get in bed early and get back on a decent schedule. Everyone keep warm, and this just freezes me when I hear about the snow in other parts of the country right now.