Daily Check in Nov 29, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Nov 29, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning, Let's get started!
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check in Nov 29, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Hi everyone,

Yesterday morning I made room to sew. Then met my friend for lunch. I came home, watched TV and dozed on the couch all afternoon. So I am up earlier this morning.

I have DS2's St Nicholas package all ready to send. St. Nicholas Day is not until Dec 6, but I will send it early. I added and extra stocking, Santa hat and Pez toy for him to share. He likes to wear Santa Hats. So I have that to get into the mail.

Otherwise I will see if Mom wants to get out again. The weather could be flurries and freezing rain.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good chilly morning all,

It is cold here by Florida standards. My walking partner will not walk in this cold. But maybe she will walk later around noon. My body craves the walking, but these last 2 days have not been good for walking. I have been in the surgery center with hubs on Tuesday most of the day and then in waiting rooms for post op doctor visit the next day. The contracted transportation has been poorly scheduled, so I have been stressed out both days. Now today, home, no appointments. He came through his cataract operation just fine. The only problem was in recovery when the nurses gave him a sugary drink before I got there and his blood sugar jumped up. His blood sugar was fine until then. The medical establishment doesn't seem to realize that you don't give a diabetic a sugary drink. It only jumped 20 points, so it was ok. They wanted him to have crackers. And I said NO.

This cold spell has been an opportunity to see how good the windows and insulation really is. Night time temperatures have hovered in the high 30's and days at 60F. The house is down to 68F which is our winter day temperature. Yesterday, I made pot roast in the crock pot and the house temperature came up a degree. Today, I will make another roast, a big one, so the house should warm up. Tomorrow is predicted to be near 80F. Any time, I don't need to turn on the heat or ac is a good frugal day.

This cold spell has been a great opportunity to have soup with noon salad. I have soup made from the turkey and it sure tastes good. Another satisfying frugal moment.

Today will be another soup and salad day and pot roast for dinner. I hope to have leftovers to serve later this week. Hubs loves pot roast.

Today, I will try to develop a list of to do as suggested by Jackielou and Janet. It should be interesting. I also want to work on my 2019 goals list. It is about that time.

Today, I am grateful that we are on the Keto diet. I am sure it helped hubs get through the operation with little risk. Losing those 90 pounds this year and needing less medication has improved his quality of life and his life expectancy. Have a good day everyone.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Good Morning friends,

Well... we have snow!! About 2 inches so far, with more predicted to fall tonight. I imagine that parts of western & central Colorado are being dumped on now. Be warned my friends, this is Wet snow, though accompanied by 30’s so it may not stick around very long.

I’m keeping dd5 home from school again today, she & I might go play in snow while there’s still some (my eaves were dripping at 5:30am).

Today's chores are to wash & put away as much Laundry as possible, plus hopefully cut out more Rendezvous shirts, (including new collars for the first two shirts), and knit a row on my shawl. I should also plan what clothes to take with me this weekend.

I’ll build a small fire, as I should have done yesterday, for extra heat (especially as I’m not willing to pay gas & electric companies to keep house at my preferred temp of 76-77F). I might even read by the fire while washer & dryer are running first loads of the day.

I just realized, I have something to set out my nativities on!! Hurrah for the piano!

Yesterday, I finally remembered to put in my RSVP to join the MFH Secret Gift exchange next month. I think it is good we can do that together here.

I really need to get back to writing menus again, I just don't know what to make for dinner tonight. I do need to clean out my fridge, there was A LOT of food wasted during Thanksgiving week because ds16 stashed food next to tiller & lawnmower, And because no one wanted to eat leftovers from week prior to Thanksgiving (and I was too sick). ☹️☹️☹️

Today I’m thankful for the snow, however short it's stay may be.
Last edited by gaylejackson2 on Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:02 am Today, I am grateful that we are on the Keto diet. I am sure it helped hubs get through the operation with little risk. Losing those 90 pounds this year and needing less medication has improved his quality of life and his life expectancy. Have a good day everyone.
I have been hearing so many people saying good thinhs about the Keto diet, plus how they can lose weight, AND it stsys off. I think I need to look into it more for dh & I. I think part of his “happiness” problem is that he’s overweight, and doesn’t think there’s an end in sight... granted he does like his carbs, and won't exercise outside of work. Well, something needs to change for us, but not until after holidays are over.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

This morning is cold by Florida standards. It was 69 in my house when I got up and I turned on the heat. It will warm up this afternoon and tonight is not expected to be as cold.

Yesterday I enjoyed going to the fairly new Lucky’s market. In addition to the produce, I bought bulk rolled oats for .69/pound, a price that beats Aldi. I also picked up my free lotion at BBW. I noticed in the mall they have tiles in the floor noting the distance walked from the center plus a sign saying a walking club meets there on weekdays at 9 a.m. My fitness center is more convenient for me but the mall walk club is a good idea.

I received my first Christmas card yesterday so that will prompt me to work on cards today. I’m usually a straggler with cards and did not send any last year.

Traffic was horrible yesterday and it makes me want to stay close to home. So I’m planning a quiet day today.

Stay cozy.