Daily Check in Nov 29, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jckitty

Re: Daily Check in Nov 29, 2018

Post by jckitty »

Good afternoon all,

It is cold, dreary and just plain yucky today. I slept in a little bit, stayed up late to watch Christmas Vacation , it's cheesy and silly but I just love that movie. For me it is laugh out loud funny.

We had Chinese take out last night, tonight is chicken and noodles (from the freezer) mashed potatoes , salad and a yet to be named veggie. Dad had a dr's appointment Monday and I have successfully stopped his weigh loss spiral, it fact he was up 5 pounds. the DR said to keep doing what I am doing to feed him up.

I finally figured out a way to clean the ceiling fan in the great room, it is on an extender but still 20 feet in the air. I stood close to the railing in the upstairs with a dust mop, scrub brush on a paint pole used dry, and a broom. It isn't washed clean but the dust bunny's are knocked off. It was disgusting, needs the ladder/scaffolding put up and scrubbed but I have promised the family I will not do that anymore. They are afraid of me failing or something...so until I can find a reliable handyman this will have to do. I think I am onto the trail of a handyman...that's what I have been frugal for and it's worth it to me to pay for some things.

I need to finish 1 load of laundry and run the duster on the floor....going to look for Christmas Home Alone movie.... seen it many times, want to see it again.
JCKitty
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

Good morning !

I tried to walk BB this morning, Goldie was in the backyard, not happy about it :roll:, I didn't want her to leave the house like she did yesterday. :lol:

BB and I didn't get passed a couple of houses when the rain, came pouring down ! As a result I had 2 wet dogs to rub down. :shock:

My SIL is working hard with her mother. Her mother is not working as hard as she was in rehab :( Two of DH's brothers (and one girl friend) live there, they are not helping out , the couple is yelling and cussing at SIL !!! AAUUGGG !!!

I have a bit of a sore throat, but SIL wants me to fill in for her for a couple of hours here and there, of course I told her that I would.

The library is having a book sale Sat, I wasn't going to help, but he head of the vol called and asked if I would , so I am going to. Oh well.

IC
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Cold, windy and just downright miserable weather here. I am asking myself why I'm not on a nice warm beach somewhere. Slept fairly well last night, but don't have a lot of energy this afternoon. I think I'm worrying more than I need to about DD's surgery. I know she will be glad when it's over and I sure will. I wish I wasn't going on this cruise at this particular time, for I want enjoy it as much. She claims that they told her she can lift after 48 hours without any problems, and that has concerned me with her having to lift my grandson and I want be here to help her. I will have a couple of days after the surgery to be with her, so if I see things aren't like I expect them to be, I will get her some help until I get back into town.

IC, I sure hope your MIL is going to be ok. I don't know what in the world is wrong with people. I wouldn't put up with anyone cursing me and your husbands brothers should be ashamed of themselves. I am sure they can't do for her what her daughter's doing and they should show more respect. I sure hope they are more respectful of you when you relieve her.

Families seem to be becoming more and more dysfunctional. I love mine, but I am glad at times that I live this far away from them and I don't have to get involved in all the drama. My one sister-in-law seems to cause most of ours and I am delighted that I don't live in the same town as she does for I don't think we'd stay on talking terms to long if we did. I wouldn't be able to stand it to hear her running my brother and her kids down, my tongue would start flapping. Our family could tear her to pieces for all the stuff she's pulled through the years and we don't do that to her. I could write a book. I'm surprised her two kids turned out to be decent human beings for she wasn't much of a mother figure or wife.

The house looks as good as it's going to for Christmas. I put the finishing touches on the Chocolate Bar this morning and need to pick up a couple more things to complete it. Some candy canes for stirring and some tiny marshmallows for the hot chocolate. I've got all the containers washed and ready to fill. I don't know how much candy making I will get done this year, but will wait until I return from the cruise to do what I can. I will then make my decision about where I will spend Christmas and when I will leave.

My roommate at Hilton Head told me about making apple pies using flour tortillas and I think they are really good if they are going to be eaten right away. They are very easy, but tortillas microwaved are a little tough so I have decided to make the filling and when I want one, just fry them up individually. That way I want eat to many and they will be nice and fresh.

This will probably be my last post until I get back as I have got last minute details to handle tomorrow, will be packing Saturday and we leave Sunday. Those of you who pray, please keep us in your prayers. Everyone stay healthy and warm.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Sorry to say this - but wow, we are having beautiful weather!!

The sun is out, no wind and it is a balmy 72 degrees!!! Nice and cool in the house too, but it was warm in the car. Had to turn on the air while I drove around.

Didn't do much today. Its basically my down day. Did get hungry so one sibling and I met a couple of friends for lunch.

My cousin was saying yesterday that, that is their one source of entertainment. So that sounds good to me too. But I did get some items from Schwans today. Now that it is comfy to use the oven, pizza is back on the menu.

Have a great day all
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:41 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

I think I am coming down with a cold. Sniffles, stuffed head, and just plain malaise this morning. I even slept in!! Now I feel all rushed.

Really foggy here I can barely make out the gas station nestled at the bottom of the valley we overlook. Hopefully this will melt away very soon. The fog I mean, as well as the icy conditions.

I got a bit stressed yesterday evening when I read of all the accidents the police were called to in the city our youngest lives in. I phoned him and he said the roads were sheets of ice in the morning, but he stayed off the road that goes around the city so at least the corners were sanded for the most part. I was so happy that he made it to and from his job okay.

Hubby said yesterday that he will take me shopping today as the roads are still in terrible shape as well as the parking lots. No way will he allow me to slip and fall once again. Kind of nice. The only problem is we won't be heading out until quite late, and I probably will not be doing much in the way of price comparing. No drapes or dishes today.

I will stick to my very small shopping list as my list on Saturday is going to cost a great deal (usually around $600.00, but remember the meat and items purchased at that time do last a very long time and keep the grocery budget way down for three or four months after). I also plan on doing a few household chores as well and perhaps get Hubby to bring the tree up (just need to move some furniture around first).

Hoping to start and finish the 4th sewing project today. Which will leave me one to start tomorrow (the hardest pattern of the 5 with lots of little pieces to sew).

Frugally speaking it will be another clean out the freezer day. I plan on using some of the leftover beef from last night to make something with. Leaning towards Broccoli Beef and rice, but of course I could change my mind.

Tonight I think I will weave in the ends of all my knitting, get the shawls packed up, and perhaps even begin a new shawl with some yarn I have had hanging around for awhile now.

Will do my frugal exercise after getting all the groceries scanned and put away. I am so excited as I have now lost 10 lbs. I am 10 lbs closer to my goal weight. While I don't think I will ever reach the amount I weighed when we were first married I am going to give it the good old college try. I am hoping to start off the new year at least 15 lbs lighter. It just means watching what I eat (I do break down and have something every so often, just so I don't eat all of the treat at once), continuing with the treadmill, and eating to make sure that as little cholesterol enters my system as possible.

The regular frugal happenings will take place here as is usual.

Today I am grateful that my family is all well.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie congrats on your weight loss.. you go girl. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

littlemiss63 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:59 pm Good Afternoon Everyone,

Cold, windy and just downright miserable weather here. I am asking myself why I'm not on a nice warm beach somewhere. Slept fairly well last night, but don't have a lot of energy this afternoon. I think I'm worrying more than I need to about DD's surgery. I know she will be glad when it's over and I sure will. I wish I wasn't going on this cruise at this particular time, for I want enjoy it as much. She claims that they told her she can lift after 48 hours without any problems, and that has concerned me with her having to lift my grandson and I want be here to help her. I will have a couple of days after the surgery to be with her, so if I see things aren't like I expect them to be, I will get her some help until I get back into town.

IC, I sure hope your MIL is going to be ok. I don't know what in the world is wrong with people. I wouldn't put up with anyone cursing me and your husbands brothers should be ashamed of themselves. I am sure they can't do for her what her daughter's doing and they should show more respect. I sure hope they are more respectful of you when you relieve her.

Families seem to be becoming more and more dysfunctional. I love mine, but I am glad at times that I live this far away from them and I don't have to get involved in all the drama. My one sister-in-law seems to cause most of ours and I am delighted that I don't live in the same town as she does for I don't think we'd stay on talking terms to long if we did. I wouldn't be able to stand it to hear her running my brother and her kids down, my tongue would start flapping. Our family could tear her to pieces for all the stuff she's pulled through the years and we don't do that to her. I could write a book. I'm surprised her two kids turned out to be decent human beings for she wasn't much of a mother figure or wife.

The house looks as good as it's going to for Christmas. I put the finishing touches on the Chocolate Bar this morning and need to pick up a couple more things to complete it. Some candy canes for stirring and some tiny marshmallows for the hot chocolate. I've got all the containers washed and ready to fill. I don't know how much candy making I will get done this year, but will wait until I return from the cruise to do what I can. I will then make my decision about where I will spend Christmas and when I will leave.

My roommate at Hilton Head told me about making apple pies using flour tortillas and I think they are really good if they are going to be eaten right away. They are very easy, but tortillas microwaved are a little tough so I have decided to make the filling and when I want one, just fry them up individually. That way I want eat to many and they will be nice and fresh.

This will probably be my last post until I get back as I have got last minute details to handle tomorrow, will be packing Saturday and we leave Sunday. Those of you who pray, please keep us in your prayers. Everyone stay healthy and warm.
Libby have a safe trip. Will keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama