Daily Check in Dec 6, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Dec 6, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning folks,

Wow, yesterday afternoon, the day hit me like a ton of bricks. I did not prepare myself for the emotional onslaught. Maybe combines with working form home and watching the Bush funeral, after work I got slammed with "all of the feelings." I gathered up my courage and texted my girlfriend who invited me over, her husband is out of town. Chatting with her was what I needed.

I am in the office today.
Have a great day,
Maggie
Last edited by mbrudnic on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaylejackson2

Re: Daily Check in Dec 6, 2018

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hello all,

That alarm feels like it goes off earlier & earlier every morning. 😐 I also need to stop staying up late too.

Today is first daughter’s 8th birthday, which is a pretty big deal in our religion, as she’ll be baptized & confirmed a member of our Church. Exciting stuff.... though I think she might be more excited over getting to go to activity days with the 8-11 yo girls.

Am subbing today-Monday for the same teacher at a middle school.

Did no sewing or fabric cutting yesterday. Did bday shopping & took dd5 back to Dr about her sudden rash that showed up Tuesday after we’d got home from Dr.

Am off for shower, then to pack lunch/breakfast, snd to figure out who is staying home besides ds10 who hasn't a voice.

Dinner tonight is lasagna.

Today I’m thankful Dollar Tree was open last night so I could buy pencils & suckers for dd8 to give to her classmates for birthday treat at school.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I slept in this morning, probably because I was up so early yesterday. Not a problem as things are moving along nicely around here.

I have everything ready to be mailed that needs mailing and when I head out the door to get a few dairy products and fresh veggies I will drop them off at the post office. Combining errands my favorite thing. I decided yesterday since I was near the store where I get the cat food and a few other items I may as well get those. Saves me a trip there today (driving right by the place yesterday when I exchanged the shirts), and I am all about not driving much on these crappy city roads.

Rumors have it that next year grocery prices for such things as fruit, veggies, and other such products will rise by about 6%. This is according to an agency here that tracks such things. According to this paper they released most of the raise will come because of climate change, but some could happen if producers switch to cannibas growing (more lucrative I guess) from their traditional crops. I think we just might be planting a bit more and hoping that our fruit trees begin producing very soon. May even need to plant a couple of different ones as well.... or fruit bushes.

Frugally speaking my list is small and fuel prices have really dropped here so filling up the car will be a bit of a savings. We could wait and fill up at Costco tomorrow, but youngest DS says they lines are terrible there.

Using up items from the fridge as well. We have lots of leftovers for our supper tonight. Got to get them cleaned out of the fridge to make room for what will be put in the fridge tomorrow.

I will be using things up and hope to get the infinity scarves sewn up today as well as some easy candy making (think almond bark and perhaps some chocolates) before moving onto the baby blanket. I have a pretty good start on that. One more pattern and I can make my first colour change. This will pretty much use up all the baby type yarn in my stash (may have to pick up a few balls in order to have some at the ready).

Weighed in last night and I have managed to lose 12 lbs. The 15 lbs I want to lose by Christmas seems awfully close now. Keep your fingers crossed for me as I reach this first stepping stone (more to lose after that though).

Supper tonight will be the leftover ham and scalloped potatoes. Just have to pull the casserole out of the fridge and stick it in the oven. I think I will make a salad to go with it.

Today I am grateful that the DS's think of me when they want something special to give as gifts.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good chilly Thursday morning all,

It is warm inside thanks to the wood panels I put up on the north windows. They are my old hurricane shutters, but they really cut the cold and chill from the north side of the house and that kept the house warmer than the previous night when the outside temperatures were less cold. Educational moment.

I did a lot of reading about the issue of water collection inside the windows. It has to do with the natural conductivity of glass. By adding the wood panel to the outside of the window, the conductivity of the glass is neutralized and no water collected inside this morning. Scientific discovery applied to real life situations solved the problem.

I also did a bit on other windows with my clips and towels. Again, science says any material that reduces the glass to air contact reduces the conductivity and heat transfer. It should be interesting to follow when real winter hits in January. I also learned a lot more things doing research. I love learning new things especially when they can be applied to my real world frugal lifestyle.

This morning, my neighbor said no walking in the cold. 38F is cold for old Florida bones. She would profit by my experience, but I doubt she will be interested in making any changes to reduce the chill in her house.

I cooked a turkey breast last night in the crockpot. It is all gone. I will cook another one tonight. The crockpot seems to reduce the house temperature drop by about one degree. And it feeds a hungry belly as well. After tonight, the temperatures will warm into the 70's and all will be fine until the next cold front mid week, next week.

So far, no heat has been needed this month. That is a very frugal thing. The insulation and windows are paying back. Considering their cost, they have a long way to go.

Today, I am grateful for the internet and my ability to understand scientific research. I am grateful for my excellent education. Have a good day everyone.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ...
It's 34 and getting some rain ... at the moment, looks like the snow is closer to Kitty's house.
Just as well, plans changed and I'm meeting my relative for lunch today.
Otherwise, getting some things done ... really should get to decorating the tree, though I'm enjoying the minimalist effect, LOL!
NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

Good morning,
It has been a couple of busy days around here. The new appliances were delivered on Tuesday, they look really nice in the kitchen. DH and I spent a good portion of Wednesday installing the vent exhaust hood over the stove. There was never one over the stove, I guess they may not have existed in 1955 when the house was built, so it was a bit of an adventure getting it mounted to the cabinets, wired, etc., but we got it done. The kitchen looks so different! I have stopped and counted my blessings and amazement that I am in a place in life where I was able to pay for something I once thought was a crazy luxury. New appliances. Wow! :)

On a less-than-grand note, we are having problems with DSD getting her rent paid to us on time. The deadbeat boyfriend does not work at all and, in fact, is collecting public welfare on himself. Yep, food stamps, medical, etc., and has DSD drinking the "I can't work" koolaid excuse. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this young man other than he is a lazy schmuck who is working the system. Hubby and I grit our teeth hard to not just walk next door to the apartment and throw his deadbeat @ss out into the street but we know that DSD has to get to the breaking point and do this herself otherwise she will not have learned a lesson that is set in her heart. DH and I have talked extensively about it; if we get rid of this bum she will just turn around and drag another stray-dog male through her door as no lesson would have been learned on her part. It was difficult last night when she was trying to weasel her way out of paying the rent (again) and her Dad and I put our foot down and firmly told her she needs to give us the cash ($500.00). She was telling us she had the money...but was trying to get a loan to pay some other bills....but she might need the money to give to the bank to secure the loan....but she would give us the money if she could get the loan. Apparently she is playing the Shell Game and robbing Peter to pay Paul because she has no financial help whatsoever from the lame boyfriend flopping on her couch. We verbally sympathized with her and her Dad told her she is a good kid and is a hard worker and he and I have both been in this situation in our younger days but she would be better off cutting loose the dead weight she has in her life and perhaps picking up another part-time job to help boost her finances and to please bring us the rent she owes us. This did not go over well with her as she tearfully gave us the money and stormed out of the house. I know this tears her Dad up inside; she really is a good kid but she has worked herself into a pickle. We also think deadbeat boyfriend is pulling the control issue on her as we think he got angry and stormed out of her apartment shortly after this went down. *Sigh*. DH texted her later in the evening checking to see if she was ok. No response from her. Oh, the saga continues. I regret renting the apartment at this point as it is turning into a hassle.

On the frugal front, I have worked on my menu plan and have about a week and a half of dinner meals planned out, am keeping the heat turned down just a tad more than I would like, and I have been faithfully packing our lunches to work each day. DH came down with a big head cold almost a week ago and is trying to give it to me so I haven't been up to doing my yard work as I am fighting a scratchy throat and a cough. I have been drinking the Airborne and extra vitamin C and echinacea tea to help myself. I am also looking into figuring out where to begin my plans for my garden I want. I wanted to set one up this last Spring but FIL became ill and passed away in the middle of all so the plans I had were put on the shelf for a year. I am up for growing some of my own produce as I am sick of hearing lettuce being contaminated with e-coli and whatnot and I think that I can convince DH to eat more fresh veggies if they are grown at home. Well, I have yapped enough, got to get moving for the day and get a few things done around the house before I head off to work. Everyone take care :D