Daily Check in Dec 6, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jckitty

Re: Daily Check in Dec 6, 2018

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

Yes Wolf we have had some snow flurries but nothing too bad so far. I will admit it is pretty but I am so not ready for all of this.

Porkchop, have been in the position of renting to a relative, most of the issue we are having with the brother right now, It did not work out and dad has now issued the edict "no family, no friends". Sigh, it is not going well.

Maggie, you have a good friend. Blessings on you both.

Jackie, I just read something about the food prices going up also....dairy supposedly could go up by 40% next year. Our Aldi's butter has been 1.99 per pound, I have 12 pounds stocked up in the freezer so far and will be getting more if it stays that price.I have to buy it no matter the price, and milk for dad, which I also freeze.
I have a feeling I will be planting a salad garden next year in containers.

I caught a mouse! Very seldom even see traces but I got him...now I need to go into the crawl space and place what we call mouse cookies...poison. I am not afraid of much, but they do scare me.

Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, veg and salad are menu for tonight. Dad ate really well on yesterdays veg soup and biscuits. His "tooth hole" is healing well and said he can handle meatloaf.
Well, off to the races...
Have a good day all,
JCKitty

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

It is a chilly morning, which is okay, but it is now cloudy and misty - wah

Getting ready for our little trip. It will probably rain during our drive out there. Hope not too bad. Should be sunny by Saturday.

Just have to go get my rental car and then do some light packing. Not taking much. I hate dragging around a lot of stuff.

Have a great day all

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

mbrudnic wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:41 am
Good Morning folks,

Wow, yesterday afternoon, the day hit me like a ton of bricks. I did not prepare myself for the emotional onslaught. Maybe combines with working form home and watching the Bush funeral, after work I got slammed with "all of the feelings." I gathered up my courage and texted my girlfriend who invited me over, her husband is out of town. Chatting with her was what I needed.

I am in the office today.
Have a great day,
Maggie
Hugs Maggie.

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Jackielou wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:02 am
Good morning fellow frugalites,

I slept in this morning, probably because I was up so early yesterday. Not a problem as things are moving along nicely around here.

I have everything ready to be mailed that needs mailing and when I head out the door to get a few dairy products and fresh veggies I will drop them off at the post office. Combining errands my favorite thing. I decided yesterday since I was near the store where I get the cat food and a few other items I may as well get those. Saves me a trip there today (driving right by the place yesterday when I exchanged the shirts), and I am all about not driving much on these crappy city roads.

Rumors have it that next year grocery prices for such things as fruit, veggies, and other such products will rise by about 6%. This is according to an agency here that tracks such things. According to this paper they released most of the raise will come because of climate change, but some could happen if producers switch to cannibas growing (more lucrative I guess) from their traditional crops. I think we just might be planting a bit more and hoping that our fruit trees begin producing very soon. May even need to plant a couple of different ones as well.... or fruit bushes.

Frugally speaking my list is small and fuel prices have really dropped here so filling up the car will be a bit of a savings. We could wait and fill up at Costco tomorrow, but youngest DS says they lines are terrible there.

Using up items from the fridge as well. We have lots of leftovers for our supper tonight. Got to get them cleaned out of the fridge to make room for what will be put in the fridge tomorrow.

I will be using things up and hope to get the infinity scarves sewn up today as well as some easy candy making (think almond bark and perhaps some chocolates) before moving onto the baby blanket. I have a pretty good start on that. One more pattern and I can make my first colour change. This will pretty much use up all the baby type yarn in my stash (may have to pick up a few balls in order to have some at the ready).

Weighed in last night and I have managed to lose 12 lbs. The 15 lbs I want to lose by Christmas seems awfully close now. Keep your fingers crossed for me as I reach this first stepping stone (more to lose after that though).

Supper tonight will be the leftover ham and scalloped potatoes. Just have to pull the casserole out of the fridge and stick it in the oven. I think I will make a salad to go with it.

Today I am grateful that the DS's think of me when they want something special to give as gifts.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie, I loved that your DS thought to ask you for a baby blanket...such a wonderful baby gift. You are so amazing that you can make one that quickly!

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc »

Today is a cold raw day.

I have a dentist appointment this morning for a cleaning and one filling. I need to make another appointment for my last crown and. I hope he finds nothing else at this visit.

I will have dental insurance next year. $1,000. limit. The plan is slightly different than this years plan.

I will be decluttering some yarn I know won’t work for me. I bought more than I needed for one project.

I will have the crown done next year. My dental insurance will pay for part of the crown next year.

Not much else is new.

Penny

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good afternoon all.

Maggie, I’m glad that you could get together with your friend and that it made you feel better. I have learned that staying home and thinking too much is not good for me.

Clem, have a great and safe trip. Enjoy visiting the church.

It turned out to be a beautiful day here.

Like Penny, I had a dental appointment just for a cleaning and checkup and also bitewing xrays. I got a good report. Then I went to mom’s house just to check on things. I watered some plants. There was not enough trash to put out this week. I took some more paperwork to go through and shred at home. Most of the paperwork is from my uncle. My mom was an angel for him but she was also tough. Found some paperwork where mom made him pay back the Salvation Army when he had asked for money because he gambled his rent money. This was just before mom started handling his money.

Next to Publix to pick up a Rx. I decided I wanted a McDonalds ice cream cone. They are remodeling and it is a mess inside and out but I got my cone. 😀

I stopped at the library and got the book “41” about George HW Bush written by George W. Near the library they’ve demolished a building and started to build condos $500-$600k. Great location but too pricy for me.

Now to relax.