snoppy :-) home schooling

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

snoppy :-) home schooling

Post by icfrugal1 »

the short story, my nephews wife wanted to home school their 3 kids 7 and under, are there any requirements to home school??

thank you

IC
colonialgirl

Re: snoppy :-) home schooling

Post by colonialgirl »

Yes - at least in Illinois. You have to use an approved home school curriculum. And I believe there is testing they have to complete at some point. I can't imagine not having to prove that certain levels of education are met since education is compulsory by law. He should call google homeschool for his state.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Most states require that you let your local school system know and have some kind of defined curriculum-because those states have the end of year tests. You'll also want to follow the cirriculum in general if you suspect that you'll want to re enter as the kids get older.

You may want to suggest to mom and dad that they look at all the online schools and courses available, even for elementary kids and see if that is a better option, and to have them simply fill in some courses. Also many states have home school groups you can join, which is especially helpful with things like band and choros and subjects mom and dad may not be an expert in as they get older.

I did VERY SERIOUSLY consider homeschooling my son during the middle school years, but I knew darned well someone was gonna have to do the math chemistry part other than me and I would h ave joined a group for that.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

It depends on the state. She should check the HSLDA for links to state-specific law.

https://hslda.org/content/laws/
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I agree with the others, you should check with the local school district (or the one in which they live) for guidelines.

Here in Utah, I know there are several accepted curriculum choices -- my friend Home-schools her 6 children (ages 16-4), and she chooses which ones fit their needs best. I think her older girls might also go part-day to their local high school for music classes, but am not certain. My friend is part of several H-S groups (mainly on Facebook), and they take field trips together, plus i think they meet together for harder classes too.

Good luck to your family.