Daily Check In January 6, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In January 6, 2019

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Shouldn't really say good morning as it is the middle of the night here, but I am awake and not feeling very well. I foresee a nap at some point this afternoon. Since I am sleepless I thought I might as well get things started.

Not much doing here today. Mass of course, and making the list of jobs for next week, but nothing really special. I do plan on making a list of what I need to take with me (taking extra...just in case) for the two test days. Hmmm, perhaps another reason sleep seems to be eluding me tonight.

I need to clean up (or perhaps clean out) my plastic containers today. This area of cupboard never seems to stay clean for very long. Now that I have an extra tote (amalgamated the Christmas décor) I may just be able to use it for some of the extra containers..... Or perhaps my best bet is to recycle them or repurpose a few. I will need to think on this a bit as I am sure the ones with broken tops can be used in another capacity.

I will be heading downstairs to use the treadmill in an hour or so. Hey, one good thing about getting up this early is I will be finished my exercise before Mass for a change! I took it easy yesterday and only did 20 minutes or 1 mile. I will do the full 30 minutes today and the full 1.6 miles. Slowly but surely reaching for the 2 mile mark, I just don't know if I can do 4 miles an hour for speed.

It should also be a no spend day as it is a no envelope day at church. I kind of like the every second week giving, Hubby is having a problem with it though. Says it makes him feel cheap even though we give the same amount every month. I told him that some only give once a month, it did not make a difference to him.

Hey, have you all heard that Netflix may be losing (will be losing) some of their content very soon. I was reading an article that Disney, and another company or two, are soon to be starting their own streaming services cutting Netflix from buying content from them. The article spoke about how even some TV stations are thinking of doing their own streaming services as well. The author of the article says that this means more expense for subscribers, in that we might have to choose more providers in order to get what we get right now.

I hope to spend some more of the afternoon knitting. I am almost half way through this prayer shawl and if things work out correctly will be able to put it with the others in a week or so. Going to cast on some alpaca mitts after that and a headband as they are quick knits. I am not too sure I like the way my temperature blanket is turning out. The ups and downs are making it difficult to get more than 1 row of a colour, especially as I did a different colour for every 5 degrees.

Supper this evening is going to be roast ham, the leftover brown rice, and mixed veggies.

Today I am grateful that the power was only out for an hour last night.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
rinty

Re: Daily Check In January 6, 2019

Post by rinty »

Jackie, you're so busy !

I got up bright and late at the stroke of 11am ;) Obviously I had woken earlier, but had a lay in reading TOMBLAND and lured DH back to bed when he came back FREEZING after walking The Hound. And we fell asleep for over 2 hours.

So, Brunch rather than Lunch .

Its grey and murky. I need to give the house a once over as its back to work tomorrow but its not Awash with Filth, so about an hour tops. Dinner is turkey chilli with rice, tea will be cheese and biscuits ( crackers )

I will clean the car of any detritus being Granmas Taxi has caused and replace my work bags in the boot.

Laundrys all done.

So far, all I've done is make a Winter Joy HYGGE mantel. Lots of birch wrapped candles, vintage cut glass jug and sugar holder and silver photo frames with a couple of teal candles for a little "pop" of colour. Nice.

I shall be annoyed it that's right about Netflix !
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning everyone. It is chilly and still dark outside but going to warm up to around 57.. Nice warm up for our January thaw.. I am hoping to get a few minutes outside to cut down some wild grapevines that have invaded my front rock garden area. So much easier to do when the leaves have died back in the winter. I will be taking lights off of my Christmas tree and then tomorrow will take it down and slide it down the steps to my basement. Wish I could find a spot to store it on the main level but no place at this time. Oh well will keep the other decorations in various spots on the main level and it will make it so much easier for next year.

Have a lovely and frugal Sunday. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:40 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

Shouldn't really say good morning as it is the middle of the night here, but I am awake and not feeling very well. I foresee a nap at some point this afternoon. Since I am sleepless I thought I might as well get things started.

Not much doing here today. Mass of course, and making the list of jobs for next week, but nothing really special. I do plan on making a list of what I need to take with me (taking extra...just in case) for the two test days. Hmmm, perhaps another reason sleep seems to be eluding me tonight.

I need to clean up (or perhaps clean out) my plastic containers today. This area of cupboard never seems to stay clean for very long. Now that I have an extra tote (amalgamated the Christmas décor) I may just be able to use it for some of the extra containers..... Or perhaps my best bet is to recycle them or repurpose a few. I will need to think on this a bit as I am sure the ones with broken tops can be used in another capacity.

I will be heading downstairs to use the treadmill in an hour or so. Hey, one good thing about getting up this early is I will be finished my exercise before Mass for a change! I took it easy yesterday and only did 20 minutes or 1 mile. I will do the full 30 minutes today and the full 1.6 miles. Slowly but surely reaching for the 2 mile mark, I just don't know if I can do 4 miles an hour for speed.

It should also be a no spend day as it is a no envelope day at church. I kind of like the every second week giving, Hubby is having a problem with it though. Says it makes him feel cheap even though we give the same amount every month. I told him that some only give once a month, it did not make a difference to him.

Hey, have you all heard that Netflix may be losing (will be losing) some of their content very soon. I was reading an article that Disney, and another company or two, are soon to be starting their own streaming services cutting Netflix from buying content from them. The article spoke about how even some TV stations are thinking of doing their own streaming services as well. The author of the article says that this means more expense for subscribers, in that we might have to choose more providers in order to get what we get right now.

I hope to spend some more of the afternoon knitting. I am almost half way through this prayer shawl and if things work out correctly will be able to put it with the others in a week or so. Going to cast on some alpaca mitts after that and a headband as they are quick knits. I am not too sure I like the way my temperature blanket is turning out. The ups and downs are making it difficult to get more than 1 row of a colour, especially as I did a different colour for every 5 degrees.

Supper this evening is going to be roast ham, the leftover brown rice, and mixed veggies.

Today I am grateful that the power was only out for an hour last night.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie, when do you go for your tests?

Unrelated but thinking of the Netflix/Amazon story you posted. Do you pay anything for using your Android box or was it just the purchase price of the box? You seem to have great programming on it. I don’t think there is a similar device in the U.S.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:29 am Jackie, when do you go for your tests?

Unrelated but thinking of the Netflix/Amazon story you posted. Do you pay anything for using your Android box or was it just the purchase price of the box? You seem to have great programming on it. I don’t think there is a similar device in the U.S.
I go for my tests on the 15th and 16th.

I do not pay anything for my andriod box a month. However some downloads are very illegal so I stick to old series, use it like a PVR to see programs I have missed, to watch old classic movies, or movies that have made it to my dish.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ...
Mid 30s right now ... everything was a bit frosty when I got up.

Jackie, I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Know you'll be glad to have this all behind you.

Let's see, the small Christmas tree came down yesterday, and got a few other odds and ends finished. DH ended up working two hours of overtime ... didn't call to tell me. The oven-fried potatoes I'd fixed for dinner were a bit overdone, but edible. :|

Will work on taking the big tree down today ... not guaranteeing that I'll get it all packed up, though ;) Messed up the mat in my last framing project, but think I can salvage it into something interesting.

We're slowly digging through the excess food in the fridge from the holidays ... DH has promised to make dinner tonight, so that should use up a few things.