Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Challenged

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Re: Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Challenged

Post by colonialgirl »

You misunderstand Quilter.

I was talking about Jackie's information about them splitting the movies off to make new channels for renting. I pay for netflix and prime But I don't want to have to pay for Disney to watch any Disney movie and then pay for prime to watch any MGM and an re-run from CBS and pay for another channel to be able to see game of Thrones, etc, etc, etc.

The greed I am talking about is the industry greed that I feel has an ideal of you having to pay multiple companies for access to the viewing provided by one or two companies now. That is not paying for commercial free access - that is elevating profit by imposing a monopoly on certain kinds of programming and that IS greed.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

I don't have anything but the very lowest tier of satellite, 41.13 per month and that price includes taxes and I pay for the protection plan. That plan has saved me a load of money...lightning strikes, new equipment upgrades, service calls etc.
Being in a woods I have used that plan a lot.

I am not a movie person, and really only watch certain things on certain channels. I wish there were like a cafeteria plan.... pick and pay only for the channels you want.
I have put the satellite on " vacation " many times especially in the summer. No watch, no pay....love it.
JCKitty
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I pay $41.91 for the Basic cable service which only gives me the broadcast channels. Pretty much a rip off and I keep saying I’ll cancel it but feel I would miss it. I still may do it. I looked to see if I can put cable “on hold” and even that is $4.99/month. I may try that, however. Our cable company used to be a local affiliate of Time Warner and was pretty good but switched to Spectrum (owned by Charter) a year or so ago and they are terrible.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Quilter51 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:47 am I only watch the original programming on both channels as well as British, aussie and Scandinavian series and they aren't likely to.go. people will just have to choose what's important to them. I have 20 shows an both netflux and amazon watchlists, but no desire for hulu, and probably wouldn't join Disney. I tried YouTube pay for a free trial and dont see what the deal is.

Quilter from things I have read (need to find the article) some of the British programming will not be available either. In order to see those you might have to go to Acorn or BritBox.

Disney will be all those super hero type movies like Aquaman and such.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

I kind of think this is a version of A la cart services. As people cut the cord but look for other services to provide video entertainment, this is what the companies are coming up with. People need to have a way to earn a living. Now if we could pay the actors less and the customer service people more....
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I understand how it's working. It's the market and I am really not that upset about it. eventually people will pay for what they want to watch. I already occasionally have to pay for Acorn or something else through Amazon Prime to watch all the seasons of a British or Aussie show I like. I deal with it. As more and more people watch less and less network TV, this is the alternative that companies will need to come up with in order to make money, pay actors and the like. I mean much as I hate commercials they bring in billions and that money is part of the reason so many movie and state actors have turned to TV.

No one will sign up for every service. People will chose the services most relevant to them and their families , wait for other programming to be seen elsewhere, or do things like one month memberships and binging or free trials-pretty much what they do right now with even less channels, lol.

And while I can't speak for all the other coming channels, for me at least, the original programming alone on the channels I watch is worth the freight I pay....said as I wait for new seasons of Bosch and Altered Carbon and Mindhunter....