My cruise options

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Mrscreative

My cruise options

Post by Mrscreative » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:34 am

I thought it might be best to open up a new topic pertaining to my cruise plans. Any and all suggestions and input would be greatly appreciated.
Option 1 - Princess Cruises- Princess Emerald
Barcelona,Toulon, Livorno, Valetta (Malta), Kotor (Montenegro), Corfu (Greece), Naples, Rome
Disadvantage- leaves a bit too late in season
Option 2- Princess Cruises- Emerald Princess
Barcelona, Toulon, Livorno, Malta,Kotor,Corfu, Messina, Naples, Rome
Disadvantage- costs a bit more
Option 3 - Royal Caribbean- Independence of the Seas
Southhampton, at sea, at sea, Malaga (Spain), at sea, Cannes, Barcelona, Lisbon, Vigo (Spain), at sea, Southhampton.
Disadvantage- at sea a lot but at least no extra spending!
Advantages- can explore my roots and possibly DJ will reunite with his brother he hasn’t seen in 50 years! His brother lives in Sudbury, which is outside of London
Costs the least and is the longest.
Option 4 - Holland America Line (ms Noriega Statendam
Amsterdam, at sea, Cobh (Ireland), at sea, Vigo (Spain), Lisbon, Cadiz (Spain), Gibraltar, Malaga(Spain), at sea, Rome
Advantage - costs the least and smallest of ships. Have always wanted to visit Amsterdam as I had the opportunity to go with my best friend at 13 (my parents vetoed)
Disadvantage- Amsterdam is very costly for hotels
- doesn’t go to Barcelona which we both really want to visit.

Rinty I agree with you about the balcony but Dh is insistent he’ll feel claustrophobic otherwise. At times he needs his own space and we can create our own home away from home. He’s 71 and definitely don’t want an overland tour with him where you pack up and move to a different hotel every day!

Any and all suggestions welcome! Seeing travel agent today to discuss all options.

Creative

ohjodi

Re: My cruise options

Post by ohjodi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:04 am

I'd go with option 3......try to meet with the brother on either end of the trip. Since it's the least expensive cruise, maybe you can then afford to spend a couple days with the brother?
ohjodi

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:41 am

I like option 3, too. I’ve heard so many good things about Lisbon. I visited Barcelona years ago but I know a lot has changed. My Dutch friend is planning to spend a few days there with her son in August and I’ll ask her for suggestions when she gets back. Jackie visited Barcelona and Lisbon, I think, on her trip a few years ago. Cannes is mostly a beach town but there are interesting and pretty places nearby including Antibes and Monaco to name two and I’m sure the ship will have excursions there.

Even though I’ve never cruised, I know that the site cruisecritic.com has a very good reputation for useful information.

What fun!

rinty

Post by rinty » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:59 pm

Def not the one that goes to Messina !!!

If I were picking one for me I'd go the first Princess cruise one as I think it has a really diverse itinery...........every day a different country .

But if you listen to your heart you really want to go to London. So here is my 2 cents. Fly to London the book a Cheapo Budget airline ( there are millions ! ) Booking so far in advance you'll get a deal, less than £50 a seat easily, then go on the first Princess cruise

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:13 pm

floridacatlover wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:41 am
I like option 3, too. I’ve heard so many good things about Lisbon. I visited Barcelona years ago but I know a lot has changed. My Dutch friend is planning to spend a few days there with her son in August and I’ll ask her for suggestions when she gets back. Jackie visited Barcelona and Lisbon, I think, on her trip a few years ago. Cannes is mostly a beach town but there are interesting and pretty places nearby including Antibes and Monaco to name two and I’m sure the ship will have excursions there.

Even though I’ve never cruised, I know that the site cruisecritic.com has a very good reputation for useful information.

What fun!
We were in Spain and Portugal 2 years ago. Didn't get to Barcelona but we were in Lisbon for a few days. Instead of Barcelona we opted for Madrid.

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:00 pm

It seems to me that option 3 offers the what may be the last opportunity to see the brother. To me that trumps any other attractions. Also - Royal Caribbean is an exceptional cruise line. We love them and the ships. You listed being at sea as being a disadvantage but to me that is the best part of the trip. There are tons of activities if you want them of course, but I could sit and watch the ocean for days. And the relaxation is unbeatable. I mean it sincerely when I say if I could, I would live on a cruise ship. The four I have been on were the best weeks of my life.