My cruise options

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: My cruise options

Post by Quilter51 »

I would never consider a non balcony option. For what it's worth, if it matters, and if I'mreading right, the last option, even though it doesn't include Barcelona seems to have the widest differences in culture and history. Having said that, optionthree and seeing a family member might put me over the top.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Creative, I think I said this week I was going to keep my opinions to myself and stay out of peoples lives. (That was what I said wasn't it)???? LOL

I've been on 5 cruises and paid the extra money for a balcony once and wouldn't do it again unless they make a lot of improvement. #1 you spend so little time in the room, or at least the crowd that I cruise with do. Maybe, it would be more romantic to have one if you were traveling with a spouse or significant other or if you are real claustrophobic. If one is inclined to be claustrophobic I would say yes, the inside cabin isn't the way to go.

My late DH and I had a balcony on the first cruise we ever took, but we found that there were more comfortable places to sneak away and relax alone. I am not into getting off in some of the ports, didn't feel like watching all the begging that went on and we had wonderful spots to just look at the ocean in the upper viewing areas and library that were much more comfortable than our balcony. If I remember correctly they had room service for HorDerves, but for what we paid that perk wasn't worth it when we could get food on a whim anytime we wanted it. Seating we have always had wonderful seating and our group sit at the same table and had the same waiters every night. Things change from cruise to cruise so it may be different in a year.

I don't know if you are like me, but the food is my paradise. I had never been one for chilled soups and I fell in love with them and tried a different one every night. I also ordered things from the menu that I never fix at home. The food isn't what it once was, Royal Caribbean use to have one night that the food layout was beyond belief with ice sculptors on every table and every type of food that you could imagine. It was nothing short of a fantasy, the ships I have been on since haven't done that.

Whatever you choose, I know you and your DH are going to make memories you will never forget.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Well a decision has been made! We are going with option 2 as it is earlier in the season than option 1 and we are looking for some heat! Rinty I know it goes to Messina for a day, but perhaps at this point we’ll just remain in the ship. The itinerary is very similar to option 1.

We plan a side trip to London for 3 days. Dh will meet up with his brother and I’ll have the opportunity to explore my ancestral roots. I am excited beyond belief!

Next on agenda is to book flights and hotels. We got some recommendations from the travel agent and I really want to go through Expedia and use up some points. We’ll collect a lot of points with this trip too! After this will research expeditions.

Being retired is truly the best job in the world!!
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Mrscreative wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:15 pm Well a decision has been made! We are going with option 2 as it is earlier in the season than option 1 and we are looking for some heat! Rinty I know it goes to Messina for a day, but perhaps at this point we’ll just remain in the ship. The itinerary is very similar to option 1.

We plan a side trip to London for 3 days. Dh will meet up with his brother and I’ll have the opportunity to explore my ancestral roots. I am excited beyond belief!

Next on agenda is to book flights and hotels. We got some recommendations from the travel agent and I really want to go through Expedia and use up some points. We’ll collect a lot of points with this trip too! After this will research expeditions.

Being retired is truly the best job in the world!!
Fantastic! I’m going to read over your itinerary again. Just looked at it again. SO many interesting places! Malta sounds so interesting to me. From Naples you will likely go to Pompeii. I’ve been to Rome but not to Pompeii but would love to visit there after taking an online Roman Architecture class a few years ago.

When you fly into London it will most likely be Gatwick or Heathrow. (There are a couple smaller airports that may handle flights within Eutope. Not sure about that)

If you fly into or out of Gatwick, take the Gatwick Express train which runs every few minutes (20 minutes I think). Not what I’d call comfortable but fast and cheap, about £20.

From a Heathrow I believe there is a direct London Underground (Tube) line into central London.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Floridacatlover - thanks for all the of your suggestions. The help is appreciated and with you having just gone, your information is also very current.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Just curious what the objection is to Messina, having been