My cruise options

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
rinty

Re: My cruise options

Post by rinty »

Mrscreative wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:01 am I actually never even heard of this community before but Rinty said it was a good place to avoid. I’m just going to try to keep an open mind about all the places and sites we’ll be seeing.
Can you see ahead of time what excursions your cruise ship offers ? Good fun planning ahead ! From Livorno, you could take excursions to either Pisa OR Florence, I would be stuck which to choose.
We've been to Naples twice. I would recommend Pompeii because it so huge and breathtaking...........its a large town not just a site. Last time we did Herculaneum............but it is tiny, a 2oth the size of Pompeii and not as well run by any means.......looked at my scrapbook of that cruise where I'd felt that "Beautiful, preserved frescos and mosaics, go to Herculaneuam to complete your tour of Pompeii but not worth a trip of its own. I'd visit Pompeii again in a heartbeat and the bay of Naples itself is stunning.

DH is part Maltese so yay to visiting Malta ! Beautiful ! You may be amused at signs of the British there, red telephone boxes etc.

WE did not regret taking the most expensive detailed excursion to Rome. 10 hours was barely enough. Gelato at the Trevi fountain, Piazze Navona, Spanish steps, the Pantheon, so much time in the Vatican and in St Peters. Castell St Angelo. Amazing.

I have wanted to see Kotor and there are lots of options from Toulon. YOU do make friends easily on a cruise ship and if DH is all touristed out and wants to just relax on board it is fun to go offshore with new friends.

Your trip sounds amazing with my one exception ;) Sit on a sun lounger on deck with it pointed AWAY from that port and you'll be all set ............
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Wow! So much helpful information from you all all! Floridacatlover - we did book with Easy Jet! I almost spent the entire day booking 3 one way flight and 3 hotel stays - 3 nights in Barcelona prior to cruise, 3 nights in Rome ( expensive!!) and 3 nights in London. I did it all through Expedia so racked up a lot of points and got huge discounts on our hotels. So far $11 300 Canadian spent so far but considering the cruise itself was $7 200 I don’t think we did too bad. Dh and I searched out literally 100’s of hotels and read all the reviews trying to reach a balance between cost and comfort and location.

Rinty I haven’t even looked at excursions yet. We did get a list from the travel agency that booked our cruise. I can also look at options through Expedia and compare costs. Also will need to arrange ground transportation but will leave that for another day.

The water exercise class was great!! Wonderful instructor and best of all completely free. Gave a nice break from staring at the computer! Very exhausting especially selecting hotels
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Mrscreative wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:09 pm Wow! So much helpful information from you all all! Floridacatlover - we did book with Easy Jet! I almost spent the entire day booking 3 one way flight and 3 hotel stays - 3 nights in Barcelona prior to cruise, 3 nights in Rome ( expensive!!) and 3 nights in London. I did it all through Expedia so racked up a lot of points and got huge discounts on our hotels. So far $11 300 Canadian spent so far but considering the cruise itself was $7 200 I don’t think we did too bad. Dh and I searched out literally 100’s of hotels and read all the reviews trying to reach a balance between cost and comfort and location.

Rinty I haven’t even looked at excursions yet. We did get a list from the travel agency that booked our cruise. I can also look at options through Expedia and compare costs. Also will need to arrange ground transportation but will leave that for another day.

The water exercise class was great!! Wonderful instructor and best of all completely free. Gave a nice break from staring at the computer! Very exhausting especially selecting hotels
You will have so much fun! Now over the winter months you can do your research on places you will visit. To me that is half the fun. Get some guidebooks from the library and watch YouTube videos on some of your destinations.

You and your DH have worked hard and this is a nice reward.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Whatever you decide, it all sounds wonderful.

Have a great time.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

So happy for you and I know ya'll are going to have a fantastic time.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Creative, you will have a blast. Me I am too scared to be adventurous and book my own flights, hotel stays, and tours. We head directly to a travel agency and get everything done through them. Costs more, but takes the worry out of my hands completely.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/