My cruise options

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Mrscreative

Re: My cruise options

Post by Mrscreative » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:01 am

I actually never even heard of this community before but Rinty said it was a good place to avoid. I’m just going to try to keep an open mind about all the places and sites we’ll be seeing.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:02 am

Quilter51 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:37 pm
Just curious what the objection is to Messina, having been
I think it was due to the higher crime in the area. One of the people on the cruise Rinty was on was a victim.

Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:09 am

Jackielou wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:02 am
I think it was due to the higher crime in the area. One of the people on the cruise Rinty was on was a victim.
Thanks for letting me know Jackie. I know it’s important not to let down your guard wherever you go. We have money belts that can be concealed under clothing and Dh knows not to put his wallet in his back pocket,etc.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:39 am

Creative,

One airline to look at for your flight from Rome to London is the low-cost carrier EasyJet. I’ve never flown them but I know they are very popular for flights between London and European cities and within the UK. They have a lot of flights to Gatwick. Another low-cast carrier, Ryannair, does not have a good reputation.

I don’t know if you follow the British Royal Family at all, but Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip spent the early years of their marriage in Malta. He was a naval officer and they say she loved it there because she could live like an ordinary person.

https://www.guidememalta.com/en/queen-e ... it-s-malta

Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:46 am

Okay. I love Messina but one has to be careful in some places.

rinty

Post by rinty » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:23 pm

Barb, when did you last go ? I just went a dug out my cruise scrapbook.

" Messina, scenic but sad. scenic views over the sea but VERY depressed and down at heel. Real desperation from traders and beggars. Grubby. I went ashore with a group of ladies and ran the gauntlet........NOT a nice atmosphere and several of the passengers were mugged including a man with his disabled wife in a wheelchair. From the ship we cheered watching a furious row with a local taxi driver attempting to over charge 2 British old age pensioners........no surprise there when he lost. "

We did the scenic bus tour, bleak and very run down, lots of very desparate immigrants banging the side of the bus.....we bought lots of the junk they were selling just to give them something. The locals were NOT friendly to them, downright hostile in fact, so so unpleasant.

What did you like ? The view wasn't bad and we enjoyed the clock tower in the square which performs each day at noon. LOVED that. I think there were 7 moving tableaux ? After watching 3 or so my friend said " what next, the Ave maria ? ".............and LOW AND BEHOLD.

I honestly cannot see the appeal, I'd be staying on the ship without question. Its small and shabby.Remember I live in VERY multicultural Britain so its hardly that I was shocked by the fact that there were so many mainly African immigrants it was how they were treated and their utter despartion. It was horrible.