Have you ever gotten rid of something only to regret it later?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
NoisyPorkchop

Have you ever gotten rid of something only to regret it later?

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

When I first moved in with my husband (he was boyfriend at the time) there was 4 of us crammed in our tiny apartment (him, me, and his two daughters. And a German Shepherd - I guess that makes 5) so space was at a premium. He had a Food Saver vacuum sealer sitting unused up in the cupboard of the kitchen of this tiny apartment. We just never seemed to use it and it was taking up valuable real estate in a miserably tiny apartment kitchen. We still never used it, and after two years, I decided to get rid of it and donate it to the local Goodwill with the thinking that, well, if we haven't used it at all in two years we never will, and by golly I need the room in this kitchen.

Sure enough, not even a month after I donated it he decides he wants to FINALLY use it for something, and I have to sheepishly confess that I got rid of it because we never used it. Oh, I got to hear, "Do you know how much I PAID for it?!" and basically was chewed out for getting rid it. I have got to periodically listen to him give me grief over the last 5 years about how he wished he had that Food Saver vacuum sealer because he could have used it on (fill in the blank of whatever food item you would use it for) and I have to, once again, apologize for giving it to charity.

So, over the last week Hubby has made some home-made teriyaki jerky with our food dehydrator and has, yet again, given me grief over getting rid of the Food Saver. I have heard it twice in the last two days how it would have been SOOO NICE to have had the Food Saver because he would have been able to vacuum seal his jerky and been able to put it in the freezer for future use, BUT BECAUSE I got rid of it he frets that some of his jerky will go bad before we can eat it all.

Welllll, guess who had to just go down to the local BiMart and re-purchased a Food Saver vacuum sealer just to be spared the lectures from her spouse, and, that I realize I may need to use it too for some of my upcoming vegetable crop I plan on harvesting from my *new to me* garden this year. Please tell me I am not the only person out there who has unwittingly gotten rid of something they thought they didn't need, only to find out later it was a bad idea? In my case, I ended up re-purchasing the item. Am I the only one? :oops:
rinty

Re: Have you ever gotten rid of something only to regret it later?

Post by rinty »

You have the patience of Job.

There are no circumstances on this earth where that item would have made it back into my kitchen.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I donated a comforter and matching shams after keeping it in my closet for a long time. It’s the only donated item that I regret donating. It was one I used in my first apartment and loved it but bought a new one when I moved into my current house. I still have the sheets matching the old comforter and periodically look for the comforter on eBay but it is such an old design by now that I doubt I’ll find it. I do still see the sheets periodically on eBay.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Sorting through the contents of garage when I moved into current home - previous owners left it PACKED FULL TO THE RAFTERS!! I tossed an old metal "thing" that as far as I was concerned was "good for nothing."

Later the rest of the ANTIQUE SMOKING CHAIR was discovered in the way far corners of the garage. I had tossed the "stand up ashtray thingy" that went with it, greatly decreasing the value of the item.

SAD SAD SAD
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Yes,

I will be wearing my hair a little longer and have accessories and tools for it, get my hair all cut off and after several years of very short hair get rid of the longer hair stuff. Then let my hair grow long. But that stuff is inexpensive enough...

Of use a small appliance, stop using it, get rid of it and several years later, decide I could use it. (A hot air pop corn popper is something in the back of my mind.)

I have had something malfunction and I wait to see if I really miss it before replace. At our first house we had a portable dishwasher, where we wheeled it up to the sink, attached it to the sink faucet, plugs it in and turned it on. We were given the original one. When it broke. Ex was in school full time and money was tight. it took a week before I said "A new one is worth it's weight in gold to me" and we bought a new one. Just a few months ago you all may recall that shortly before I moved my toaster oven caught on fire and I threw it away. I was preparing to move, I waited several weeks and decided I either needed a toaster or a toaster oven and decided I used my toaster oven enough to buy a quality one. I love my Breville! It fits well in my lifestyle.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Yes. Too many to count.