Frugal Fixes

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
2dogs+someCats

Frugal Fixes

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Just curious - what types of frugal fixes have you done lately? This morning I glued the wooden handle back onto my makeup brush - it is better than new.
jckitty

Re: Frugal Fixes

Post by jckitty »

Hey Sheila,
Good save...
Don't know if this is a frugal save but I did duct tape a rubber scraper to a long handles paint pole so I could place some spackle in a really out of the way area. very small amount and I have to say it worked great.
My very tall ceilings are white so not going to worry about painting it right now, it will get painted when I have the interior painted, probably this late spring.
JCKitty
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Here's my frugal not-going-to-fix-it-yet:

In November, my dad was visiting and said I needed a new toilet seat. Which I do. One hinge is kind of stripped so it wiggles and is probably going to break. I ordered a new toilet seat so he'd quit bugging me (and so i'd have one on hand if this one does break)

But I wouldn't let him install the seat because, firstly, he's 77 and recently had hip surgery, and I didn't need him on his knees around the toilet and his hip or back go out, and I can't get him off the floor, so I'd have to call medics, and then he'd be laid up in my guest bed for three MORE weeks because he can't make the trip home to northern Wisconsin, LOL

So I talk to him on the phone every night, and he keeps asking if I installed the new seat yet, and no, I haven't. And I should just lie and tell him that I did, because he's nagging me, LOL

But my REASON for not installing the new seat, even though I have it, is because the old one isn't dead YET. The longer I use the old one, then the longer I"ll be using the new one, and then the longer it will be before I have to buy ANOTHER new one in five or six years, LOL

My dad is aghast, and he's nagging me. But I remind him that his kitchen faucet has been dripping for a YEAR.

So it's been two months since I got the new seat, and I'm using the old seat, so that's like I got two FREE months of toilet seat because I didn't change it!

Am I nuts!
ohjodi
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

Ohjodi I am the same way about things. Right now I have a brand new laptop in my closet because a couple of months ago I thought this laptop I am using was toast. Then somehow I was able to reload Windows 10 and it has been fine ever since. Plus I wanted to have one on hand in case that orange cretin in the White House levies more tariffs.

I also have a pair of readers I had just bought for about $20.00. My dog decided to start using them for a snack so I have been using duct tape to keep one of the handles on. I need to try something different because the duct tape use isn't working too well.

Bev
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

BevMoore wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:00 pm
I also have a pair of readers I had just bought for about $20.00. My dog decided to start using them for a snack so I have been using duct tape to keep one of the handles on. I need to try something different because the duct tape use isn't working too well.

Bev
That reminds me.............one hinge of my eyeglasses has been held together with a snip of green paperclip for well over a year, now lol It was too hard to put a tiny screw in, and I"m too lazy to stop at the eye doctor to have them fix it!
ohjodi
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

ohjodi wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:15 pm That reminds me.............one hinge of my eyeglasses has been held together with a snip of green paperclip for well over a year, now lol It was too hard to put a tiny screw in, and I"m too lazy to stop at the eye doctor to have them fix it!
Been there done that.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/