Daily Check-in January 11, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Daily Check-in January 11, 2019

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. It is the calm before the storm here. We are expecting freezing rain later this afternoon with snow following. We are in the 6 to 8 + band. They are not sure exactly how much but at least 6 to 8. I have to go in to town to pick up bird food and corn for the birds as well as Dennis the Menace my resident squirrel. I need a few things from the grocery store and then home to hunker down for the week-end. Glad the snow is arriving later on Friday and most people can stay home. I am so looking forward to the snow..

Have a good and frugal day.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check-in January 11, 2019

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all,

Well, I turned on the heat yesterday and it came on one time all day. One time. :D Apparently, it didn't come on at all last night. the house drifted down to 67F and the sleeping temperature is 65F. Outside it was 43F. I just turned it on to get it back up to daytime temperature on 69F.

Yesterday was too cold to work outside. I went shopping to get softener salt and misc stuff, but no projects until after dinner. Then I experimented with making seedling pots. I make them out of toilet paper cardboard holders or paper towel holders which I collect all year. The problem is getting them to stay up straight. Last night I realized that I could cut the cup part of an empty egg cartoon away and the frame left is perfect for the little seed pots. The top of the egg cartoon make a great drip pan. So I work on those all evening. I love recycling.

Today, the weather should improve with high temperatures in the 70's the rest of the weekend. I pulled a whole turkey out of the freezer last night to thaw. Next week will be cold and I will slow cook a turkey breast or two. Today we will finish up the pot roast from yesterday. If it warms up enough, I will do some work on the back patio. Hubs shredded some more documents and I pack the sections of the cinder block wall openings with shredded paper before sticking a plastic quart sized pot of dirt in those openings to hold spring flowers. The shredded paper makes a good damp nest for the pots. More recycling.

Hubs is ready to do the end of the year summary since tax documents are now coming in. He has been a grumpy bear the last couple of days. I have had to pester him about making arrangements regarding his upcoming operation. Well, everything seems set to go for Tuesday am. I expect that we stayed about the same last year. I know he will complain about all the money I spent on home improvements like the insulation and windows. Strange, when the money goes out, it is my money and fault. When the money come in, it is his. ;)

Today, I am grateful for projects that encourage me to test my creativity. Have a good day everyone.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning Janet and everyone- we woke up to more snow too. Still snowing out and expected to last all day. But just enough for shoveling the driveway (yet more frugal exercise!). I am hoping the roads are clear enough for me to go to my Retirement Explorers meeting this afternoon. Also planned to go to the gym with Dh this morning. Haven’t been very often since the New Year.

I didn’t sleep well at all last night. Woke up around 3:00 and laid still until after 5:00. Just thinking about meeting dh’s brother for the first time. It will be very emotional for Dh. My mind is just spinning 100 miles an hour!!

All meals will be from home and hopefully no money spent aside from gas money to get to our events. Both Dh and I need to practice black belt frugality for a while as lots of money has been flying out the window lately!

Have a wonderful Friday everyone!
Creative
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Friday morning,

I am slowly easing into my day. I have a load of laundry in. I want to wash my sheets and rotate my mattress. I have a pile of papers to run through the shredder and a bathroom to deep clean.

I am sure I can find plenty to do today.

Make it a good one,
Maggie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Dgflorida wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:13 am Good morning all,

Well, I turned on the heat yesterday and it came on one time all day. One time. :D Apparently, it didn't come on at all last night. the house drifted down to 67F and the sleeping temperature is 65F. Outside it was 43F. I just turned it on to get it back up to daytime temperature on 69F.

Yesterday was too cold to work outside. I went shopping to get softener salt and misc stuff, but no projects until after dinner. Then I experimented with making seedling pots. I make them out of toilet paper cardboard holders or paper towel holders which I collect all year. The problem is getting them to stay up straight. Last night I realized that I could cut the cup part of an empty egg cartoon away and the frame left is perfect for the little seed pots. The top of the egg cartoon make a great drip pan. So I work on those all evening. I love recycling.

Today, the weather should improve with high temperatures in the 70's the rest of the weekend. I pulled a whole turkey out of the freezer last night to thaw. Next week will be cold and I will slow cook a turkey breast or two. Today we will finish up the pot roast from yesterday. If it warms up enough, I will do some work on the back patio. Hubs shredded some more documents and I pack the sections of the cinder block wall openings with shredded paper before sticking a plastic quart sized pot of dirt in those openings to hold spring flowers. The shredded paper makes a good damp nest for the pots. More recycling.

Hubs is ready to do the end of the year summary since tax documents are now coming in. He has been a grumpy bear the last couple of days. I have had to pester him about making arrangements regarding his upcoming operation. Well, everything seems set to go for Tuesday am. I expect that we stayed about the same last year. I know he will complain about all the money I spent on home improvements like the insulation and windows. Strange, when the money goes out, it is my money and fault. When the money come in, it is his. ;)

Today, I am grateful for projects that encourage me to test my creativity. Have a good day everyone.
One thing about using the egg carton cups as seedling starters. Sometimes they are not large enough for the plant. Then the plant gets leggy.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ...

Woke up a bit earlier than I wanted, thanks to the 4-legged alarm clocks who live here ...

It's mid 20s and we're under a winter storm warning, too. Predictions are for 4 to 7 inches, though it may be more to the south ... we'll see. DH has to work tomorrow, but it's a short drive.
(Speaking of DH, please keep fingers crossed: He applied for a new job. Still part time, but the pay is much better.)

Mostly puttering yesterday. Went looking for a birthday card and ended up doing a decluttering of the card/envelope stash.

I also set up a donation bag and am slowly filling it.

Today, a bit of work, more puttering. May go see "Aquaman" or not ... may depend on how quickly that storm comes in.