Daily Check-in, January 13, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check-in, January 13, 2019

Post by clemencia2us »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:28 am Good morning all.

I hope that those of you with snow are able to dig out without problems. When I moved back to Florida from Virginia, I was happy to give my snow shovel and ice scraper to a friend.

I slept well last night and feel rested today. Most likely I’ll stay home.

Yesterday I started transferring photos to my laptop. I rarely use my laptop (mostly use the iPad) and realized I am not very familiar with Windows 10. Tried to download iTunes but the installation got “stuck.” I read that one issue might be the Updates need clearing out. I tried to do updates and believe it or not it is still downloading after leaving the laptop on all night. My internet is not super fast but still! I’m determined to get the laptop “cleaned up” as much as possible. Mom bought me this Dell laptop on the spur of the moment at Best Buy about 3-4 years ago and from the start I wasn’t comfortable with it but I’m going to make it work for me.

Related to computers, I’m a hoarder when it comes to emails and will work on that today, too. That will keep me busy.

I did get all my laundry done yesterday. Just the regular chores today so I’ll have lots of time to read.

Tonight the Critics Choice awards are on the CW network. Two of my favorite, The Americans and Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, are up for several awards each. I have not yet watched season 2 of Mrs. Maisal, saving it for a stretch of cold days.

Stay warm and take it very slow if you have to shovel snow.
yes - it can take a long time for those updates to download. And it might require several restarts. It took almost a day for my laptop to get caught up.

My crazy friend does this type of work and she said it was normal. I hadn't used my laptop in over a year - maybe longer. Still haven't fired up my new Ipad.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Had some weird dreams last night - :o

Slept okay. The sun is shining, but it is kind of chilly.

Have a church thing to do and then I want to come home and make some oxtail soup

Other than that - just tidy up around the house.

Have a great day.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

clemencia2us wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:12 am yes - it can take a long time for those updates to download. And it might require several restarts. It took almost a day for my laptop to get caught up.

My crazy friend does this type of work and she said it was normal. I hadn't used my laptop in over a year - maybe longer. Still haven't fired up my new Ipad.
This big Update, version 1803, now says 100% downloaded but hasn’t started installing yet. I read a few minutes ago that MANY people have had lots of problems with this update. Some are just getting a black screen on restart. Ugh! I’m almost ready (despite my previous comment) to say chuck it and buy a Mac. I still have my old laptop with Windows Vista (out of date) where I keep my financial pages in Word. I just updated everything there and printed it on Jan. 1. But even that laptop said it was shutting down because of something.

I don’t envy your friend or Maggie.

I did fire up my new iPad but right now still using the old one. Simpler is better in my book.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:19 am This big Update, version 1803, now says 100% downloaded but hasn’t started installing yet. I read a few minutes ago that MANY people have had lots of problems with this update. Some are just getting a black screen on restart. Ugh! I’m almost ready (despite my previous comment) to say chuck it and buy a Mac. I still have my old laptop with Windows Vista (out of date) where I keep my financial pages in Word. I just updated everything there and printed it on Jan. 1. But even that laptop said it was shutting down because of something.

I did fire up my new iPad but right now still using the old one. Simpler is better in my book.
yes - just let it run and do its thing. It does get frustrating. I did turn mine off every now and then.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

A chilly mid-20s today, but that's winter.

Not much planned for today. Still trying to get my meal planning act together. I know I will . . . just have to keep plugging away at it. Sundays will be my frozen entree dinner days, on that I've decided. I have this coming week's planned so will try to stick to it. From what I have on hand, I should ONLY (if I can stay disciplined) buy some additional fruit, loaf of bread, potatoes and 1/2 gal of milk.

No real housework today. Bed is made. All that is left is that I take out the newspapers, recyclables and garbage. Since the weather is clear with no rain expected, I can take out the newspapers today also.

Have spent the last two hours on Pogo Games playing several different games and trying to add to my badge and point counts. It passes the time and is good brain exercise. I think I'm going to try to get some reading in also today as I haven't done much this week.

Went to Community Center yesterday to what is called a "Repair Cafe" where everything is fixed for free. They also give out free tech assistance and I went to see if I could learn how to video chat on my phone. The woman was very nice, and she did show me a couple of things, but never got to the video chat. I'm a bit upset over that as there was no parking there yesterday so I had to spend money on a taxi back and forth and to get no real knowledge from it was disappointing.

Oh well, have a great day.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:19 am
---------SNIP---------------------

LOL, It's a good living!

I do not find Windows 10 that much different. My work machine in Win 7 and my home is Win 10. Just give it time. You will get used to it. Stuff is just in a different place, but the functionality is very much the same.