50th Birthday Party - Ideas Needed

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
randamax

50th Birthday Party - Ideas Needed

Post by randamax » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:21 am

Good morning, all!

I am in the process of planning a 50th birthday party for my wonderful hubby. It's still months away, but I'm working on ideas - never too soon to plan a party in my book!

One of the things I did for my sis a few years back when she turned 50 was to give her 50 of 50 different items. Such as 50 pennies, 50 paperclips, 50 flower bulbs...you get the idea. Well the gift was a HUGE hit! She loved it and everyone had a fun time watching as she discovered what all was in the box.

I'd like to repeat that for hubby, but men are much more difficult to buy for. For my sis, I could include items for craft projects or things for her classroom - which made it a cinch to come up with ideas. For hubby, not so much. There are some things that will work for either men or women, such as the pennies and paperclips, so I've already included those on my list. DH works in a school office, so there are some things I can do with that in mind, and some things that relate to his two main hobbies which are drumming and baseball.

So...I'm asking for your creative ideas. What can I include in a 50/50 gift? I'm open to just about anything. Even if you think it sounds weird, it could be something that would be perfect!

Ready? Fire away!!

rinty

Re: 50th Birthday Party - Ideas Needed

Post by rinty » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:46 am

Peanuts, cashews, jelly beans ??? Loads of snack item options ? I love stationery...........post it notes , magnets for a metal noticeboard.50 things to read ? Obviously not "those " books with 50 in the title ;) but I bet there are lotsof those 50 things to do type books available. Expensive but fun might be 50 $1 scratch cards ?

In our family we celebrate BIG birthdays ( my 50th, DH recent 70th ) by going to a holiday resort called Centre Parcs, lots of sporty activities, restaurants and spa. Is there somewhere like that near you ? we take extended family and make a weekend of it.

BevMoore

Post by BevMoore » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:54 pm

Pencils, both plain and colored. Colored markers for white boards. Working in a school you always need these.

Bev

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:09 pm

50 Hershey's kisses!

randamax

Post by randamax » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:26 pm

rinty wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:46 am
Peanuts, cashews, jelly beans ??? Loads of snack item options ? I love stationery...........post it notes , magnets for a metal noticeboard.50 things to read ? Obviously not "those " books with 50 in the title ;) but I bet there are lotsof those 50 things to do type books available. Expensive but fun might be 50 $1 scratch cards ?

In our family we celebrate BIG birthdays ( my 50th, DH recent 70th ) by going to a holiday resort called Centre Parcs, lots of sporty activities, restaurants and spa. Is there somewhere like that near you ? we take extended family and make a weekend of it.
Thanks for the ideas, Rinty! I did think about the scratchers, too and may do that. The resort you mention sounds wonderful! I'm not aware of anything quite like that around here, but it's definitely something to look into.

randamax

Post by randamax » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:27 pm

I do have both pens and Hershey's kisses on the list. Thanks!