So if you were to build a new home.

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jckitty

Re: So if you were to build a new home.

Post by jckitty »

I am impressed with the recycled glass idea...

Someday I would like my counters replaced but...they are fine until if or when I have them done.

For the most part I love my home (built in 81) but dreaming would have 2 full baths, I don't think ever building again is for me. I don't deal well with the mess, headaches or second guessing decisions.

I would definitely have a large solid front door with large sidelights. I have an atrium door now and while I like it, it's all glass. Great for light but makes it hard to not answer the door if I don't want too.

My dream home would be a log house, and no one telling me "you should have done it this way or why did you do this?"

JCKitty
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Very interesting Jackielou that 1300 is not a small house. That doesn't seem to be the case in homes built lately or at least advertised.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Dgflorida wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:31 am Very interesting Jackielou that 1300 is not a small house. That doesn't seem to be the case in homes built lately or at least advertised.
Most houses built now are around the 1500 mark. Houses are considered small or "starter homes" here at the 900 square foot mark. That does not include the basement if usable.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

If we were to build again ...

I'd want a 1-story house, too. Right now, stairs are not an issue, but someday...
I'd also like a laundry room, complete with a sink and those drying racks that you can pull down from the wall.

In the bathroom, I would just want a large walk-in shower ... really don't use the tub, and getting in and out could be an issue at some point.

I want French doors for the patio. Gave that up the first time due to costs. (Though I've told DH that is what's going to replace the current patio door, LOL!)

A butler's pantry would be very nice to have. Our office/family room is very open, and I'd like to have a den where I can just shut the door and work in peace.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Basements are interesting value added features unavailable along the coast for the most part, Jackielou. The way house size is treated may vary depending on real estate markets and taxing authorities. This house includes an enclosed garage which therefore makes it 1300 ft. Attics are also not really useful in most houses here because they get so hot. I believe you can store stuff in attics in the north extending the house area indirectly. Is that considered or is my assumption incorrect?
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Some older places have attics, however most do not. My home was built in 1921 and has no attic. The original home was under 850 square feet, a previous owner added an addition and more basement to bring it to the way it is right now. We have continued with the remodelling adding some outdoor living space that was not there before.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/