So if you were to build a new home.

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Re: So if you were to build a new home.

Post by SandiSAHM » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:38 pm

Living in the 2nd home I've had built in 3.5 years :oops:

Believe me, there's a reason :lol: and it had nothing to do with the last house, I actually liked the house.

But countertops! Both builders offered granite as the low end. And their other offerings weren't anything I wanted, I've seen what happens to Corian over time, I won't even think about marble, so here we are with granite again, but if anything ever happens to it and I have more money than brains, I'll do the sections to each side of the stove and the little area beside the fridge in reclaimed auto glass (the green) and the island in the multi-colored reclaimed glass, with some green in it to play off the other green. I *LOVE* the colors, its all nearly impossible to dent / scratch / stain / break, it's stupid expensive when all you're after is an environmentally sound alternative to rock :shock: but it looks ah-mazing.

And I will never own any :lol: so that fantasy is now indulged as far as it will go!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:39 pm

2nd one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rinty

Post by rinty » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:02 pm

I'd live in Jodis house.......... ;)

Mine would be a bungalow with a massive utility room and bifold doors onto a big patio with a loggia with some nice vines/roses/climbing plants.

But def a bungalow so no stairs.

rinty

Post by rinty » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:04 pm

SandiSAHM wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:38 pm
Living in the 2nd home I've had built in 3.5 years :oops:

Believe me, there's a reason :lol: and it had nothing to do with the last house, I actually liked the house.

But countertops! Both builders offered granite as the low end. And their other offerings weren't anything I wanted, I've seen what happens to Corian over time, I won't even think about marble, so here we are with granite again, but if anything ever happens to it and I have more money than brains, I'll do the sections to each side of the stove and the little area beside the fridge in reclaimed auto glass (the green) and the island in the multi-colored reclaimed glass, with some green in it to play off the other green. I *LOVE* the colors, its all nearly impossible to dent / scratch / stain / break, it's stupid expensive when all you're after is an environmentally sound alternative to rock :shock: but it looks ah-mazing.

And I will never own any :lol: so that fantasy is now indulged as far as it will go!

LOVE the second one but surprised about what you say about Corian, I thought it lasted forever and was practically bullet proof ?

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:23 pm

https://smallhousebliss.com/2016/04/17/ ... alifornia/

small house - not tiny.

Minimal yard work. I hate it. I want to be free.....from housetype work - :lol:

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:19 pm

rinty wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:04 pm
LOVE the second one but surprised about what you say about Corian, I thought it lasted forever and was practically bullet proof ?
A friend put it in thinking it would be less work to maintain than granite (we seal our stone twice a year, takes maybe 40 minutes each time, not sure what she thought the time investment would be), and she thought it was stain proof. Its so totally *not* stain proof. They also told her, after it was stained, that if Soft Scrub and Bar Keeper's friend didn't work she could use a bleach :shock: and water mix.

Yeah, its a disaster now. She ended up putting some of those tempered glass surface saver things over the worst of it, she found some in black on Amazon. The countertop itself is sort of a speckled beige, but she went with black to hide the worst of the staining.

She's an attorney and said she was going to get the builder, then the manufacturer to replace them because they were sold to her as stain proof, but they came back with all the literature on it that says 'resistant' not 'proof,' and she's still stuck with them.

What gets me about it, mostly, is that it's really hard to stain most man-made counters (well, not concrete but all the resins and recycled stuff, those are tough), but wow have hers been messed up. Its almost like once they were a little stained she felt like she should half destroy them to make her point.

But its been years and they're still there, surface savers and all. Not sure why she hasn't had them replaced.