Daily Check In January 24, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In January 24, 2019

Post by Jackielou »

Off to get my second cup of coffee, but thought I would start us off.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In January 24, 2019

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I am up way too early this morning after a fairly restless sleep, hence this meaning a two cup wake up day.

Checked the weather and we are in for some bone chilling temperatures. Right now it is -28 C, but with the windchill it feels like -40 C. I am so glad that I went shopping yesterday before this hit. Frostbite at this temperature can occur in very little time. Staying in today and keeping toasty warm. This means no morning coffee at my friends place, at least until it warms up some.

Staying toasty inside is quite alright with me. I have plenty to keep me busy. I plan on making baked beans today (beans have soaked overnight), baking bread, doing some more work in the sewing/craft room and working on those January goals. See, a busy Jackie is one who stays out of trouble!!!

I am also thinking that today could be a good day to defrost the upright freezer. I could put the contents of the freezer in totes and laundry baskets out on the deck for the hour or so it would take to defrost. I just need to see if snowfall is in the works or not.

This afternoon will be spent doing some hand quilting (or more decorating than quilting rather, though it does serve that purpose) while watching some more episodes of Grimm. I am pretty much done the 6 years of that program, I think I only have 2 more years to watch. I will need to think of a new/old series that I enjoyed for my next binge watch.

Frugally speaking this will be a no spend day. I plan on doing a bit more decluttering, why on earth do we have so much!!!!

I am working on using things up and so far the use of bits and bobs of yarn on this temperature blanket is working out. I know I won't use all the yarn, but at least some will be gone and that is a good thing overall. Small bites of a rather large elephant. Just hope I am not tempted to buy more for awhile.

Supper tonight will be the leftover ham (finished off the chicken casserole last night). I will be checking out Betty Crocker today for recipes. I think I might even make a pie for dessert. Not that it's good for my cholesterol, but I have been wanting something other than fruit for dessert for awhile. Perhaps mini pies are a good substitution.

Today I am grateful for the new furnace, we don't have to worry that it will quit on us.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

I didn’t sleep well.

You may have heard that there was a tragic shooting in Sebring, Florida. Five people at a SunTrust Bank shot and killed by a 21-year-old man born in Indiana and now living in Sebring. An American, not an immigrant or Middle-Eastern terrorist so not a headline story. One of our forum members who posts periodically, Shawn, lives in this rural county so I hope that her family was not impacted. One of my former co-workers grew up in Sebring and her whole family still lives there so I’m hoping not to see the family name Webster when the names of the dead are released. And to add a personal connection, I worked at a SunTrust in my college town during grad school. Probably we’ll hear the shooter was mentally ill and “slipped through the cracks” in getting a gun. Seems that is almost always the story.

My dinner with Michigan friends was rescheduled for Friday. They travel with their 4 1/2-year-old dog who has been very sick and is seeing a local vet.

I was able to get a cancellation for a haircut. It looks much better than my last cut, more layers. My hair has been so dry and she recommended a leave-in conditioner that was pricy but I bought a small bottle.

Today to mom’s house since I didn’t get there yesterday. I already have almost three bags of yard clippings to put out so I may not do too much today. It rained a lot last night (still raining a bit) so everything is wet.

Have a good day.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning everyone,

Our temperatures are a bit warmer than Jackie ‘s so our dd will walk to work this morning. I plan to stay home this morning unless Dh wants to go to the gym. He wasn’t feeling that well last night so not sure he is up to it. He’s still sleeping so trying to be quiet down here.

I plan to make a potato leek soup. That will clear some room in the fridge as the leeks sure take up a lot of room! I have been making a concerted effort to use up what we have and steamed some green beans from our garden last summer. That is definitely the last of the beans I had froze. Still some shortbread cookies that I’ll pull out as a treat- even though Dh prefers apple strudel. Have been reading no spend blogs for inspiration.

This has been our spendiest month for over 2 years! Paid the down payment of our cruise, all the airfare and hotels and some lingering Christmas expenses.

Have a great day all!
Creative
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Good Morning Everyone,

I have a Dental Cleaning this morning at 10:00 so naturally I didn't sleep well last night, it was fretful waking up every couple of hours. I have white coat syndrome and to I am always afraid I might oversleep and be late for the appointment. Our Dr's charge a fee of $100.00 if we don't show up for an appointment and I pay them enough so don't want to get hit with that nice little present.

I woke up at 6:00 and went ahead and got up eventho I didn't need to rise that early. I went ahead and fixed me a couple of eggs in the hole, which I enjoyed very much and a nice tall glass of milk.

I have decided to send my Altra Tennis Shoes back and get a half size larger. I wore them around the house a little and for some reason the left one hurt my toes. I ordered my normal size, but in reading the reviews several customer commented that they ran a 1/2 size to small. They are to expensive to hope that it might get better so back they go.

We didn't get the snow they predicted last night thank goodness, so glad they missed their forecast. It's supposed to get up into the 40's today so that is wonderful news.

That is about all the news I have this morning. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good rainy morning all,

Yesterday, the handyman put in the new windows on the south end of the porch. I also showed him an area where I want another lean to building. This will be a bigger job and I am bracing for the estimated cost. But I think it will provide me a needed shelter for outdoor project materials. The area is between the big shed and the neighbor's fence. It is hidden and therefore commonly ignored. The neighbor has one of those awful monkey puzzle trees adjacent to the fence and it sheds thorny branches all year long. Like walking through a wild blackberry patch. This lean-to will slide the branches back into no man's land between our fences. The handyman asked why anyone would plant a tree like that. I explained it looks like a lovely pine tree from a distance and is hardy.

Yesterday, I filled all of my trashcans with leaves and garden waste. I only put out the ones with lids because of the overnight storm. I checked at dawn and half the lids are still on. The rest are either mangled on the road or missing completely. When the rains stop, I cal put out the rest if they are not already picked up.

Today, I will find out how well my shutters worked against the rain. They are painted and caulked plywood, but plywood and water don't mix. But I am too old to take them up and down every time it rains. So we will see. They really improve the heat retention in the house and save $$. As long as the high temperatures linger in the 60's or below, they will stay up. Of course these wooden shutters make it dark, but they are only in the bedrooms which are used after dark anyways.

I planted most of my onion bulbs yesterday. Hubs likes fresh green onions and they are so easy to grow. I got a new Home Depot garden coupon. But I see their prices are going up on a lot of the stuff I buy. Disappointing.

Today, I am grateful that the overnight storms did not knock out power here. Have a good day everyone.